U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 08:39 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Please stop sending it my way.

Ghods, it's 60% humidity here. I can't breath.
Okay...send it back. Indian giver. LOL It's 85 here, cloudy and 38% humidity. I heard a pretty loud crack of thunder a while ago and thought maybe we won't get to watch the fireworks tonight but haven't heard anything since. It wasn't that far away either.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:56 AM

22,607 posts, read 12,482,829 times
Yesterday late afternoon and evening it was cooler and delightful. Last night I did not need to turn the A/C on ... just an open window and the ceiling fan was needed.

To some friends I was describing an especially gorgeous scene I witnessed last week while I was in Florida: after parking my car at the B&B guesthouse I was staying at in St. Petersburg, the sunset was spectacular - all pinks, oranges, and purples - and the surrounding heavily Spanish-moss draped live oak trees and tall spindly sabal palmettos were silhouetted in black against the brilliant sky. Just then a flock of white egrets flew by. What a vision of "Old Florida" it was! Breathtaking!

Old 07-05-2014, 01:44 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Delighful vision, I can see it now.......lovely!

Old 07-05-2014, 02:44 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
We had an earthquake this AM.
I heard it coming (Self: "That's not a truck on the street!"), so I dove under the table my computer is on. (ingrained reflex, LOL)
Imagine an 18 wheeler hopping all wheels off the ground and then landing a couple times.

Then I got online to see how big and where.
It was 80 miles away and only a 4.8, sheesh. Embarrassed.

More checking, downgraded to a 4.6, followed immediately by a 3.4, followed immediately by a 2.7
Now I understand why it seemed to rumble and roll on and on.
But can't figure out why it was felt so strongly here.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:51 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Yikes, Gand! I remember the last one in 2011, all of a sudden I felt nauseous as the house moved, DH and my mom were looking at me with that WTH in their eyes, and I jumped up and said, 'Earthquake!'

Mom was also here that year for the five hundred year flood.

DH dubbed her the Queen of Doom.......

Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Egad! It's been over 24 hours since anyone has posted in this Chat Thread; I better jump into the yawning gap.

I'm having a blast teaching chess to third through eighth graders in an enrichment summer school, my tenth summer in a row. I teach three classes: beginning chess (mostly third and fourth graders), intermediate chess (mostly fifth and sixth graders) and advanced chess (mostly sixth through eighth graders). We have two weeks still to run in the five-week session. At age 70 I guess I'm lucky I can still find the school site each morning, eh?

It's so much fun I can't believe they're paying me. In fact I remedied that by donating back my net pay last year to the non-profit which hires me and I'll be doing the same this year. I plan to keep doing this as long as I am able.

I have a great student aide, a tenth grader, whom I recruited myself. Two current students (good, suitable kids, one in 7th and one in 8th) have asked about the minimum age to be a student aide (which is ninth grade) so I'm set in that department for a couple of more years. I'm flattered that they would want to serve in that way under my direction.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,621,731 times
Just dropping by to say hello to all . . . and hope everyone had a really enjoyable 4th of July.

Too much on my plate and hubby is being difficult . . . but I woke up this morning so grateful for a beautiful day and assured that I will figure out how to deal with everything on my plate! One thing at a time!

The older I get, the more convinced I am that happiness really is a choice/decision.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just dropping by to say hello to all . . . and hope everyone had a really enjoyable 4th of July.

Too much on my plate and hubby is being difficult . . . but I woke up this morning so grateful for a beautiful day and assured that I will figure out how to deal with everything on my plate! One thing at a time!

The older I get, the more convinced I am that happiness really is a choice/decision.
Hello back! The twins are sleeping (or secretly planning something) upstairs. We've had a lovely June, lovely weather and great times with the girls. More house renovations, getting us closer to our goal. We are dealing with a rather significant logistics problem right now, but I think we can put it in the larger context of life's "stuff." I'm just grateful, on my end, that I can continue to be mobile even in this summer weather. As you say, one thing at a time, which is a challenge to my impatient nature.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,647,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
We had an earthquake this AM.
I heard it coming (Self: "That's not a truck on the street!"), so I dove under the table my computer is on. (ingrained reflex, LOL)
Imagine an 18 wheeler hopping all wheels off the ground and then landing a couple times.

Then I got online to see how big and where.
It was 80 miles away and only a 4.8, sheesh. Embarrassed.

More checking, downgraded to a 4.6, followed immediately by a 3.4, followed immediately by a 2.7
Now I understand why it seemed to rumble and roll on and on.
But can't figure out why it was felt so strongly here.
Maybe your newscaster was mistaken that it was downgraded. The news we got over here was 4.6 followed by 25(!) aftershocks within the first hour.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Maybe your newscaster was mistaken that it was downgraded. The news we got over here was 4.6 followed by 25(!) aftershocks within the first hour.
I get my earthquake 'stuff' from USGS, that's where the 4.8 came from. They corrected it within 5 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement