U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
He throws in a bit of humor which I really like (listening anifani?).
Sure am listening! And this is just the type of tidbit I am interesting in learning! TY!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Anifani, I think you should write a novel about us! Think about all the characters we have on this forum. And a forum where all the participants assume everyone is a stranger... but maybe we aren't... has potential for all sorts of plots.

I wrote a murder mystery once to help raise money for a cause, and let me tell you that my hat is off to people who publish novels--it's harder than you'd think. I guess I just assumed that since it was fiction, it would be easy. Nope--it took almost 2 months to complete. I find nonfiction very easy to write, but writing a complex story like a mystery and making all the subplots resolve so that it sounds believable turned out to be surprisingly tricky.

All the characters were people involved in the cause. It was hilarious because everyone wanted to be the murderer (or one of the victims). We ended up holding a drawing to see who finally got the honor.

(By the way--this is a great way to raise money for a charity. The book cost about $1000 to publish and we raised 3-4 times that amount. If you want to take on the project just as a fun thing to do, I recommend bringing up the idea to some group you're involved in. Great retirement project, and a good way to help out a charity, as well.)
Wow, Caladium! Very interesting, indeed!

I actually have thought about somehow tying in the "online experience" with a plot . . . but hadn't thought about C-D folks! Yes, many interesting stories here as well as the anonymous identity (one assumes!) factor . . .

You stated exactly my challenge: I started off as a reporter; then moved to editor. I specialize in editorials and feature stories, but the real money has come from corporate copywriting (gotta make a living!) Coming up with a plot and weaving that all together thru/ characters - oh my. That is a totally different level of "story-telling."

I keep thinking that the real power of being a writer (and I mean - individual power) is in being able to write "what could have been" or "what should have been" as opposed to non-fiction ("that which was"). And therein lies the challenge for me, personally. I can tell anyone's story (and we all have one!) and make it a solid 5-7 page magazine read . . . but I need to branch out beyond feature stories and weave a tale that puts the reader solidly in a place and time (I love environmental details!) and yet suspends disbelief enough to make it captivating.

Time is running out! Everyone expected me to write the quintessential Southern novel as soon as I was out of college! I started writing for my local newspaper at 13. And here I sit, decades later . . . and although I am certainly proud of my career (paid the bills; allowed me to stay at home to raise my kids and be a corporate wife to hubby) . . . I know there is enough stardust (and treachery!) tucked away in my brain to write a helluva good story!!!!

Today, I am wrapping up a corporate newsletter and then need to add some copy to a client's website, put in some SEO, create some security coding . . . but what I am thinking about is . . . what is going on with Hillary Clinton (health and career, not to mention her very complicated marriage)? Now, there is a story . . .

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,209,134 times
Quote:
Anifani, I think you should write a novel about us! Think about all the characters we have on this forum. And a forum where all the participants assume everyone is a stranger... but maybe we aren't... has potential for all sorts of plots.
And the title can be A Forum for Murder

I also had a notion, not big enough to even call an idea, that you might want to write something akin to Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.

Whatever you do decide I hope it's an enjoyable new adventure for you and hopefully for your readers.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
And the title can be A Forum for Murder

I also had a notion, not big enough to even call an idea, that you might want to write something akin to Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin.

Whatever you do decide I hope it's an enjoyable new adventure for you and hopefully for your readers.
LOL LOL or if the plot revolves around two alternate city-data universes, it could be called "A Tale Of Two City-Datas"

One great thing about basing your book on our forum--you already have plenty of examples of how you characters "speak" and catch phrases we like to use.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,128,339 times
I just started reading "The Jefferson Key" over the weekend. This is an intriguing thriller for those who like mysteries with a historic edge. Probably not accurate history (although there are many sprinklings of accurate facts), but intriguing none the less. It attempts to tie together an unusual plot that is the "real" reason behind various presidential assassinations and assassination attempts over the years.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
LOL LOL or if the plot revolves around two alternate city-data universes, it could be called "A Tale Of Two City-Datas"

One great thing about basing your book on our forum--you already have plenty of examples of how you characters "speak" and catch phrases we like to use.
ROFL! A Tale of Two City-Datas!!! hee hee hee

Caladium - YOU should be the one to write this!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL! A Tale of Two City-Datas!!! hee hee hee

Caladium - YOU should be the one to write this!
She'll be too busy writing for Saturday Night Live.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,209,134 times
We've got a weekend of really warm temps to look forward to - high 60's, maybe even hit 70. I should use the time to mow at least the back yard since it did not get a final cut back in the fall when it needed it. I can turn off the heat and open some doors and windows. What a treat.

One of my foster dogs, a little beagle, goes on transport up to a bigger rescue group tomorrow and I won't be sorry to see her go since she's so vocal and I'm tired of listening to her. Now if we could just find a home for the Treeing Walker Hound I'd be in heaven. I'm hoping to take a break from fostering since I'll most likely need surgery to repair my left shoulder. Would be nice not to have any extra dogs, just my own 3 oldsters who are easy keepers.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
We've got a weekend of really warm temps to look forward to - high 60's, maybe even hit 70. I should use the time to mow at least the back yard since it did not get a final cut back in the fall when it needed it. I can turn off the heat and open some doors and windows. What a treat.

One of my foster dogs, a little beagle, goes on transport up to a bigger rescue group tomorrow and I won't be sorry to see her go since she's so vocal and I'm tired of listening to her. Now if we could just find a home for the Treeing Walker Hound I'd be in heaven. I'm hoping to take a break from fostering since I'll most likely need surgery to repair my left shoulder. Would be nice not to have any extra dogs, just my own 3 oldsters who are easy keepers.
Yes, here in Charlotte we are expecting an unseasonably warm weekend with temps hovering right below 70 d. I am planning on getting outside and tidying up a bit!

I hope you do find a new home for the treeing walker hound. I don't know how you deal with all the "baying" that hounds typically make! My first pet was a beagle (from my grandfather, who had hunting dogs) and my second was a basset hound (again, from my grandfather). The beagle was irritating, to be honest - just not that into me as a child - more into chasing squirrels and rabbits, which is totally understandable. The basset was adorable but everyone complained about his barking so often! He was a great guard dog.

I am thinking this weekend we should fire up the grill. Love to grill in the winter (hubby doesn't) . . . but this would be the perfect time to enjoy it one last round. I am going to pretend I am in Florida, lol.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:

I've been thinking a lot about having dogs in older age. We have our dear five-year-old, who is not a rescue but a thoroughbred from Michigan. I got her when she was a puppy to help out an abused rescue of the same breed who was 10 at the time (she passed on at 15). It was great to have the two dogs, and the young one really helped out the old one by lightening things up and initiating play.

Against my better judgment I somehow got myself into getting a rescue dog two months ago (long story), a funny little squirt (Jack Russell Terrier, same breed as the one in the recent film "The Artist" and also Eddie in "Frazier"). This little guy, only a year old, has turned the house upside down with his antics, providing lots of fun and laughter and bringing out the other shy and reserved dog.

What I'm wondering about is what happens in old age...my older dog will have passed on, but the younger one will still be active. I would hope I'm fit enough to keep up the walks and grooming (I do have help). But I can see where getting a dog in older age, although supposedly good for mental and physical health, can present problems - especially if moving into an apartment or condo. Some accept small dogs, many do not. It would be real heartache to give up a beloved pet. This little guy will be my final adopted pet (love cats, but not changing the litter), and that kind of saddens me. Anyone have experience with pets in apartments or condos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement