U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I am now circulating in the small village where I grew up but between having no illusions about things never changing and getting used to locking the car every time I get out of it while in Florida, I have carried over that habit......except for the one day there was nothing in in it and had parked in front of the local diner.
Sigh.....something was in it. The handicap tag hanging from the mirror.
My daughter, which is why I was using it, told me she had two stolen before she realized it's a common problem.
You gotta know what I am hoping for for the SOB that took it so it's needed......nothing permanent, maybe just a broken leg or ankle
Oh my. That is just unreal.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Wow o_c, that's a new one. Better look for it on ebay

I haven't experienced anything like ani mentioned, but I have been dressing down when out and about. Used to being a jewelry horse back in the day.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:32 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Especially obvious when driving, if the other person is in a crappy car and you are driving a nice car . . . same in parking lots . . .

Grocery stores -- people giving dirty looks to those using food stamps (I have also heard the muttered remarks, such things as "OMG - buying Pepsi and chips instead of milk and eggs" etc) . . . and the folks looking down and out having an F YOU mentality - going off at people for imagined slights, arguments over perceived insults. Arguments in parking lots over parking spaces, of all things. Loud comments made from the down and out folks towards someone dressed better, or in a better car . . . things like "don't you think you are special" or "look at Miss Got Rocks" or "You think you are so high and mighty" etc.

Now, mind you, I have not had such comments aimed at me!!! lol For one thing, I walk around with a smile on my face and interact with all people with respect. But I sure have seen a lot of anger between folks "over nothing."
I got it the other day while getting my car washed by a guy who came in while I was waiting. I have noticed increased hostility driving after getting the car washed and non on the way. Especially with a Black car that after four plus years still looks new.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I am now circulating in the small village where I grew up but between having no illusions about things never changing and getting used to locking the car every time I get out of it while in Florida, I have carried over that habit......except for the one day there was nothing in in it and had parked in front of the local diner.
Sigh.....something was in it. The handicap tag hanging from the mirror.
My daughter, which is why I was using it, told me she had two stolen before she realized it's a common problem.
You gotta know what I am hoping for for the SOB that took it so it's needed......nothing permanent, maybe just a broken leg or ankle
You are not alone. In many areas they are stolen and resold. Here is just one article about.

New Program To Curb Handicap Tag Thefts On Streets Of Baltimore « CBS Baltimore

Quote:
Right now, the placards allow people to park in any metered space for free. Because of that, their street value can be as high as $200. Now the city is trying to take away some of that value.

It’s a hot item being traded on the streets of Baltimore.

“The passenger side window had been broken and the handicap placard had been stolen,” said Dr. Sarah Begus, disabled driver.

That was the second time Begus had her disability placard stolen from her car. The tags are targeted because they allow people to park in metered spaces for free. The thefts are now a huge problem for the city.

“Placards sell between $70 to $200 a piece. So there’s an incentive for people to steal them, break into people’s cars,” said Dr. Knollie Wood, Mayor’s Commission of Disabilities.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I got it the other day while getting my car washed by a guy who came in while I was waiting. I have noticed increased hostility driving after getting the car washed and non on the way. Especially with a Black car that after four plus years still looks new.
Funny you said that . . . my car is a black Audi - and it is 6 years old and still looks new, cause I take care of it. As long as it is dirty, I don't get the hostility. When it is sp ic 'n span, I get cut off (in Charlotte) and get the hostile looks, as well. I didn't put that together til recently, when my son mentioned how weird it was - that on the way to the carwash, no nutty drivers cutting me off, refusing to let me merge, etc. and on the way back home . . . idiots.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Funny you said that . . . my car is a black Audi - and it is 6 years old and still looks new, cause I take care of it. As long as it is dirty, I don't get the hostility. When it is sp ic 'n span, I get cut off (in Charlotte) and get the hostile looks, as well. I didn't put that together til recently, when my son mentioned how weird it was - that on the way to the carwash, no nutty drivers cutting me off, refusing to let me merge, etc. and on the way back home . . . idiots.
Hilarious, and oh so true. I had old neighbors come by to visit as they were heading further South and we had a similar conversation as they commented about the hostility the were facing on 95 by people in pick up trucks. People cutting them off just to cut them off. Do you have AutoBell car wash or are you familiar with?

Old 07-14-2014, 03:13 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm not surprised that you posted no links. However, I believe that they are relevant so 'll do it.

Here's the California thread. See posts 107-8. Fran66's response was candid and funny. In the Age of Euphemism and Fear of Offending it was most refreshing as well.

What is your breaking point for moving out of California?

Here's the Economics thread. See post 59. Baron Rothschild advised buying when there is ''blood in the streets''. George Soros did very well in the real estate crash. I don't believe that Mr. Rider is very familiar with investments or investors. Everyone who invests using his own knowledge understood the OP's sentiments.

Is anyone else hoping for another recession?
Glad you enjoyed it, Happy. I suppose we have different senses of humor. In my book, if someone goes out of his way to be kind and offer a compliment, a modicum of graciousness in return is called for, as opposed to a kick in the teeth. In my view that is simply good breeding and classiness.

I believe my tolerance has eroded somewhat over the years I have posted on City-Data. That is, what I used to laugh off is now becoming tiring. Well, the Ignore List (which I used to hardly ever use) is my friend. Life is too short to put up with certain negative people.

Fortunately, there are plenty of decent, kindly, friendly souls here too - people who can engage in vigorous debate without it becoming personal. There is a world of ideas, principles, and concepts, and there is a world of personal emotional reactions. Discussion and debate are, for me at least, more enjoyable when they remain in the realm of the former as opposed to the latter.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
I used to get cut off in my older Corolla with hostile looks, so I'm not totally convinced it's what you and Tuborg seem to think. Now that I'm in a new car I haven't seen anything.

Maybe we're getting these reactions because we're older (there is a prejudice against old, even if we think we look young) and not driving as fast as the whippersnappers want to go. In truth, I must confess that when I get stuck behind some slow poke I usually do pass him or her and cast them a..."glance." LOL.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I used to get cut off in my older Corolla with hostile looks, so I'm not totally convinced it's what you and Tuborg seem to think. Now that I'm in a new car I haven't seen anything.

Maybe we're getting these reactions because we're older (there is a prejudice against old, even if we think we look young) and not driving as fast as the whippersnappers want to go. In truth, I must confess that when I get stuck behind some slow poke I usually do pass him or her and cast them a..."glance." LOL.
Notice Anni and I are both in North Carolina in areas just outside the inner burbs. I can go in other parts of the Triangle and there is a complete absence of. what kind of new car.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

NEG, for you and others who might have never heard of Rolling Coal.

Rolling Coal: Conservatives who show their annoyance with liberals, Obama, and the EPA by blowing black smoke from their trucks.

Quote:
Prius Repellent” is a perfect introduction to one of the Obama era’s great conservative subcultures: the men and women who “roll coal.” For as little as $500, anyone with a diesel truck and a dream can install a smoke stack and the equipment that lets a driver “trick the engine” into needing more fuel. The result is a burst of black smoke that doubles as a political or cultural statement—a protest against the EPA, a ritual shaming of hybrid “rice burners,” and a stellar source of truck memes.
Truck owners blow extra smoke to anger environmentalists - Worldnews.com
Quote:
It's a trend now big enough to put a name to. Many Americans are rigging their trucks to intentionally emit large plumes of toxic smoke. It's called "rolling coal," and it's meant as a political statement. The truck owner rigs the diesel engine to emit large amounts of black soot. One truck owner labeled his vehicle "Prius repellant" and took a video as he aimed smoke at a car behind him. (Via YouTube / doug coons) For some, it's a form of protest against environmentalism, striking back against efforts to lower carbon emissions and overall pollution. For others, it's just for kicks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement