U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times

Advertisements

Speaking of vanity plates . . . some are so funny, and some take me a while to figure out, but I always enjoy seeing a witty or descriptive license plate.

25 Funniest Vanity Plates

http://news.distractify.com/fun/50-f...pictures-ever/

Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,298,566 times
I'm enjoying this chat about fashion. I never thought much about differences in other parts of the country although now that you mention it, I remember the stark contrast one time flying back from Florida where everyone was wearing casual clothing compared to most of the passengers who were headed back to NYC. I enjoyed watching the stylish flashy NYC styles but mourned the loss of the easy, casual comfortable style of the native Floridians. (northern Florida).

I'm not good at fashion so I just stick to L.L. Bean and J. Jill--mostly on sale. Not being a city person, I rarely go to Boston so mostly I see people casually dressed. We spent a few days in Maine last week and I noticed the styles were mostly preppy. Preppy is always a "safe" style but it gets boring. (It doesn't suit me at all; it looks best on athletic, sporty women or on men.)

In summer I wear a lot of a great casual brand called Fresh Produce--all cotton and casual and cute. I go for comfort and natural fibers. Of course I don't go to the Fresh Produce boutique--hahaha--mine comes from the thrift store. I think I fit right in where I live. We have both preppy and "boho." I guess the boho would be the long flowing skirts, Birkenstocks, artsy tops, the all-natural look.

I'm not into cars. At. all. Dh is a car animal; his first car at age 19 was a Jaguar and he's had hundreds, it seems of MGs. I had a BMW ONCE and after that I went right back to Toyotas and other economical compact cars. That BMW was constantly in for repairs and repairs were expensive. I'll take just about any car that gets good gas mileage, is safe, and gets me from point A to point B. I always felt slightly embarrassed in the BMW anyway, like I was showing off. It must be the New England Puritan in me.

What I don't like is poor quality in anything. We see bad quality everywhere these days and I don't think the younger generation even knows what quality is. I'd much rather buy a well made clothing item in a thrift store than a piece of poorly made junk from a big box store.

Maybe we should choose our retirement location based upon the clothing they wear. LOL. I think I'd feel comfortable in the PNW.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
All this convo about fashion, while I sit here in my purple sweat pants and gray sweatshirt, socks and crocs, wayfarers on my head and hair messily gathered in a banana clip.

My family would be amused, lolololol.
I can see more examples of old time NC wealth in Wilmington than Raleigh. Sorta comical at times like a time warp especially in Spring and during the Azaela Festival. We had membership at Arlie Gardens at one time and that was at time old school dress time. The Festival was time for many to show off their traditional splendor. Different areas other than just those two seem more sensitive to dress and stereotyped wardrobes. Cars are another story. There was a discussion on Morning Joe today about car safety and teen drivers and that parents were buying unsafe cars for their teen drivers because of cost etc etc. They were advocating newer (safety features) heavier cars. No problem in much of NC as the vehicle of choice for many teens especially males is a good old pick up truck especially a big one. Safer for them if someone hits them. Not as safe for the other person and as unfortunately we often see in the news a death trap for them when they speed, lose control and hit a tree especially on a curve. In fact I was often quizzed at first about why I didn't have a truck when I was getting one. Virtually everyone in our development had either a truck or a SUV or both or at a minimum a conversation van. We finally got a SUV and love the flexibility we now have.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I can see more examples of old time NC wealth in Wilmington than Raleigh. Sorta comical at times like a time warp especially in Spring and during the Azaela Festival. We had membership at Arlie Gardens at one time and that was at time old school dress time. The Festival was time for many to show off their traditional splendor. Different areas other than just those two seem more sensitive to dress and stereotyped wardrobes. Cars are another story. There was a discussion on Morning Joe today about car safety and teen drivers and that parents were buying unsafe cars for their teen drivers because of cost etc etc. They were advocating newer (safety features) heavier cars. No problem in much of NC as the vehicle of choice for many teens especially males is a good old pick up truck especially a big one. Safer for them if someone hits them. Not as safe for the other person and as unfortunately we often see in the news a death trap for them when they speed, lose control and hit a tree especially on a curve. In fact I was often quizzed at first about why I didn't have a truck when I was getting one. Virtually everyone in our development had either a truck or a SUV or both or at a minimum a conversation van. We finally got a SUV and love the flexibility we now have.
It is fun to observe these regional and cultural phenomena.

I know "the rules" -- but that doesn't mean I follow them. I do like knowing there are some places I can go and "dress up" but most of the time, I go for comfort these days. Even that has been fun, though--figuring out how to look "nice" and still be comfy. My problem lately is shoes--I have fascitis and nothing seems to keep the pain at a minimum except wearing crocs, and there is no way too look very chic with crocs, lololol.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,647,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
...I used to see that all of the time, but I realize I haven't seen it in years. The phrase is Latin, nota bene. It means literally note well, meaning to pay particular attention to what follows. It's normally appended after a statement to clarify something. I guess it has disappeared from formal English like so much else, or perhaps formal English itself is disappearing.

Do folks here still use and understand what were once common abbreviations? Do you know the language of each? Can you write the words they abbreviate? Can you stump me with one?
off the top of my head ...

i.e. Latin, "that is"
e.g. Latin, "for example"
R.s.v.p. French "please reply" "Respondez s'il vous plait"
op.cit. Latin?
ibid. Latin, something like "same cite as before"
F.R.S.
K.B. Kaybee Toys! :-D
etc. Latin "and so on" "etcetera"
et al. Latin, "and all"
& c.
q.v.
Mrs. abbreviation, possibly middle English "Mistress"

(geek warning) If I include a return statement in the middle of a method, I usually comment: // Nota Bene(/geek warning)

Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
It is fun to observe these regional and cultural phenomena.

I know "the rules" -- but that doesn't mean I follow them. I do like knowing there are some places I can go and "dress up" but most of the time, I go for comfort these days. Even that has been fun, though--figuring out how to look "nice" and still be comfy. My problem lately is shoes--I have fascitis and nothing seems to keep the pain at a minimum except wearing crocs, and there is no way too look very chic with crocs, lololol.
Pardon, I love my Crocs and fasciitis is a pain I have that along with Hammer Toes and Flat Feet. The left has the fasciitis. Problems with Crocs is the little pins in the sole can annoy my flat feet. I have custom inserts but they don't work in the Crocs.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
eek, HiW, oddstray, my 1970's public school education is showing, I recognized maybe four of those abbreviations.

Ugh, you poor kids with foot problems, I don't envy you.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Pardon, I love my Crocs and fasciitis is a pain I have that along with Hammer Toes and Flat Feet. The left has the fasciitis. Problems with Crocs is the little pins in the sole can annoy my flat feet. I have custom inserts but they don't work in the Crocs.
I tried inserts a while back but maybe I should try again. I love bejeweled sandals and fancy footwear in general but I can barely walk after a few minutes in a pair of my fabulous shoes, lol. It has gotten really bad this last year.

I have "short" achilles tendons--congenital--and as a child, I had to do exercises daily to stretch that tendon. Maybe I should do those exercises again. I have beautiful feet and like showing them off, especially since getting older--so few parts of my anatomy worth showing off these days, lolololol. But they are hidden in these clunky but oh so comfy crocs.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,298,566 times
Quote:
I tried inserts a while back but maybe I should try again. I love bejeweled sandals and fancy footwear in general but I can barely walk after a few minutes in a pair of my fabulous shoes, lol. It has gotten really bad this last year.

I have "short" achilles tendons--congenital--and as a child, I had to do exercises daily to stretch that tendon. Maybe I should do those exercises again. I have beautiful feet and like showing them off, especially since getting older--so few parts of my anatomy worth showing off these days, lolololol. But they are hidden in these clunky but oh so comfy crocs.
Orthaheel Sandals, Shoes, Orthotics - Orthaheel is now VionicShoes You could try this. There are many other brands that are supposed to help, like Merrill and even Birkenstocks. Some of the Birkenstocks are not ugly--I was surprised. I bought some really beautiful Vionic sandals this spring but couldn't wear them though. For me, it's the arch support and they had the arch too far back for my foot! They were stylish and beautiful though, sigh.

My sandals are Birkenstocks and they work for me. In winter I switch to Stegmann boiled wool clogs. I think both the Birkies and the Stegmans have cork soles and that cushioning really helps along with the arch support. Dansko is supposed to make shoes that are good for the feet too--and they're cute.

The Vionics and a few others are specifically made for fascitis, I think.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:18 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,351,744 times
Default try fitflops

Quote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fitf...w=1239&bih=612

You can find them at Nordstrom's. They run from casual to dressy. They run large, and are only in full sizes. Not inexpensive but worth it. You should try them on before you buy, then you can order others, because they are quite consistent with their sizing.

My sister in law is a teacher, has fasciitis, and wears them all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement