U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,020,100 times

Advertisements

My grandmothers' names were Delores and Grace. My mother's name was Gloria and her brothers name was Raymund. My dad's name was Tony. His brothers were Leo, Larry, Robert, and Patrick and his sister was Mary. My grandfathers' names were James and Karl.

One year ago today, the world I lived in was changed forever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Those painful feeling are just as strong today as they were that day. My son summed up his feeling by saying there is a void in his life that only a brother can fill.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Hugs, BJW, I know that feeling..........{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}

Old 07-22-2014, 02:32 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,356,175 times
Old-fashioned names in the family ...

Sidney, Franklin, Willard, Oliver, Olivia, Emma, Lila, and Theda (pronounced Theeeda, not like Thayda Bara)

Old 07-22-2014, 03:11 PM

20,317 posts, read 19,304,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Sidney, Franklin, Willard, Oliver, Olivia, Emma, Lila, and Theda (pronounced Theeeda, not like Thayda Bara)

Are we related? lol. I didn't have a Theda though. Lila's sister was Hattie. Oh, these names!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,839,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Doing genealogy all these years I've come across some very 'different' names. Interesting, for sure.

My great grandmother's were Rachel Estelle and Sena Mahalia. I don't know where my grandparents got their kids names but they were Wilma Blanche, Helen Arzelle, Doreen Emmaline and Richard Wiley. My grandparents were Squire and Rose...no middle names. Well, the Emmaline is for one of my grandmother's sisters and the Wiley in my dad's name is from his grandfather. The rest, I don't know where they came from.

My Riley family is chock full of nicknames and it's a good thing because so many of them were named the same names we wouldn't know who's who without the nicknames. Some of them were Gentleman John, Cotton Head Jim , Sam 'Meatskin', Basket Maker, Lawyer Gran(ville) and a whole lot of others.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 PM

3,759 posts, read 4,273,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Doing genealogy all these years I've come across some very 'different' names. Interesting, for sure.

My great grandmother's were Rachel Estelle and Sena Mahalia. I don't know where my grandparents got their kids names but they were Wilma Blanche, Helen Arzelle, Doreen Emmaline and Richard Wiley. My grandparents were Squire and Rose...no middle names. Well, the Emmaline is for one of my grandmother's sisters and the Wiley in my dad's name is from his grandfather. The rest, I don't know where they came from.

My Riley family is chock full of nicknames and it's a good thing because so many of them were named the same names we wouldn't know who's who without the nicknames. Some of them were Gentleman John, Cotton Head Jim , Sam 'Meatskin', Basket Maker, Lawyer Gran(ville) and a whole lot of others.
I have an Eleazar, a "Francis Marion" and an "Andrew Jackson" (first and middle names). I won't dare give my father's name, let's just say it screams Southern Born. On the maternal side, well, my mother's middle name was the surname of a Congressman who led the push to award benefits for veterans of World War I. (I had to look that one up.) OTOH, I was named after my mother, but instead of receiving her old fashioned birth name, I was given her nickname. Obviously it is not Lenora.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,472,596 times
My realtor in NC is Christopher Columbus XXXXXXXXX. True story.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
One of my ancestors had three names. Washington Henry Clay. He was a teacher (they called him "professor"). His predecessor had fought in the Revolutionary War and I guess his parents were big on naming folks after "patriots."

Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My realtor in NC is Christopher Columbus XXXXXXXXX. True story.
Love it! And selling real estate, lol. People never forget his name!!!

I find it interesting when folks end up doing a job that is similar to their last names, such as a person named "Cook" who is a chef.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM

3,759 posts, read 4,273,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Love it! And selling real estate, lol. People never forget his name!!!

I find it interesting when folks end up doing a job that is similar to their last names, such as a person named "Cook" who is a chef.
My favorite was a local surgeon whose name was Dr. Slaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement