U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,403,338 times
Reputation: 42875

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yeah, these might have been better put into Chat.
I'm actually not a big fan of using chat threads for anything but chat. If a post is likely to have practical information, and is specifically about how retirees deal with an issue, then I'd rather see it placed in a separate thread. Or better yet, bump a thread already created for that topic.

The reason is I use this site for research, and spend a lot of time looking for information using the search engine. If practical info on how retirees care for pets is placed here, the search engine will point me to this thread and I will have to scroll through 46 pages of chit chat just to find the post that I want. That wastes a lot of my time. If it's placed in a the thread already created, I can quickly find what I want because only 5 pages are in that thread.

This is also why I also hate seeing a lot of chat mixed into the threads with tips. Chat is different from looking for information, and the two types of threads are best when they are kept separated.

 
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,403,338 times
Reputation: 42875
^^ Gotta add, though, that if you're more comfortable asking how retirees deal with pets in a chat thread, or discussing any topic for that matter, that's cool. So what if it really isn't what I'd consider chat--it's not really my decision. Who am I to say where you should post? For that matter who am I to say what is and isn't chat? I have my opinion on that but that's all it is, an opinion. And sure, having to sift through Chat to find something can be annoying and time consuming, but it's not the end of the world.

At any rate, I do want to you to know that I wasn't trying to criticize when I posted those links. I was pointing you to some threads where people had answered your question. Then I posted an opinion about how I see chat threads and the value of having topic threads--and then I realized that between the two posts what was meant as a good intention may have come across as a criticism. If so, my apologies.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-12-2013 at 06:22 PM..
 
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
7,003 posts, read 7,571,803 times
Reputation: 16409
[quote=Caladium;27735632The reason is I use this site for research, and spend a lot of time looking for information using the search engine. If practical info on how retirees care for pets is placed here, the search engine will point me to this thread and I will have to scroll through 46 pages of chit chat just to find the post that I want. That wastes a lot of my time. If it's placed in a the thread already created, I can quickly find what I want because only 5 pages are in that thread.

This is also why I also hate seeing a lot of chat mixed into the threads with tips. Chat is different from looking for information, and the two types of threads are best when they are kept separated.[/quote]

You should check the box that says "posts" so you are taken directly to the post that speaks on the subject. No scrolling necessary.
 
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,403,338 times
Reputation: 42875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You should check the box that says "posts" so you are taken directly to the post that speaks on the subject. No scrolling necessary.
I didn't know you could do that! Now that's what I call a tip of the day--might even be worth noting in the "About The Forum" for others who never knew this.
 
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,403,338 times
Reputation: 42875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I didn't know you could do that! Now that's what I call a tip of the day--might even be worth noting in the "About The Forum" for others who never knew this.
Cool, I just tried it and it works. It's not a perfect solution in all situations, because you end up having to scroll through a few hundred pages of all the posts that mention the word you've searched for. I can see there will be some instances where it might still be less time consuming to search by thread. But I'm still woo hoo-ing because for the most part I think Umbria's solution is the way to go.

Thanks again Umbria!
 
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
7,003 posts, read 7,571,803 times
Reputation: 16409
My pleasure. I'm sure you know this: if you go to a specific thread (i.e. Retirement: Chat) and select "Search this forum" and then do the selection of "posts" - at least you will only see all posts with that subject in them in that thread and not the entire CD forum.
 
Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,403,338 times
Reputation: 42875
That part I knew--just for some reason I never thought to see what would happen if I checked the "check posts" box. Instead I always used the default.
 
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,393,484 times
Reputation: 15672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm actually not a big fan of using chat threads for anything but chat. If a post is likely to have practical information, and is specifically about how retirees deal with an issue, then I'd rather see it placed in a separate thread. Or better yet, bump a thread already created for that topic.

The reason is I use this site for research, and spend a lot of time looking for information using the search engine. If practical info on how retirees care for pets is placed here, the search engine will point me to this thread and I will have to scroll through 46 pages of chit chat just to find the post that I want. That wastes a lot of my time. If it's placed in a the thread already created, I can quickly find what I want because only 5 pages are in that thread.

This is also why I also hate seeing a lot of chat mixed into the threads with tips. Chat is different from looking for information, and the two types of threads are best when they are kept separated.
The threads already created did not address my chat post on pets. One had to do with cost, the other with putting pets into one's will.

To me chat is chat, so whatever comes up in the day of a retiree is game. It's all good.
 
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,403,338 times
Reputation: 42875
Re: the subject of chat vs. topics-- the way I see it, a forum is sort of like a senior center. Some people go to senior centers to have a place to hang out and chat, but others want to attend classes. Those are both good things, but need to be kept separated.

At my senior center, if you want to chat with friends you need to hang out in the cafeteria. If you go into an exercise class or a tax investments lecture there are assigned rooms for those things. The two don't mix--if you go into an exercise class and start chatting it annoys everyone else in the class. In the same way, if you go into the cafeteria and start doing doing exercises you annoy the people there. Same idea applies to this forum.

Re: the pet threads. Of course everyone is welcome to chat about pets on a chat thread--but for the newcomers who might not know how to use this forum, if you're seeking information about how to provide for your pets, the pet threads are pretty useful and have more tips than just "how to write a will." For example I found some interesting posts from New England Girl about her experiences getting family members to agree that her pets would be cared for. If you're new and trying to find information I recommend starting with this thread index: http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ical-tips.html It can point you to a lot of useful threads. Chat threads are more for whiling away a few hours, IMO. OTOH if what you're seeking is conversation--we're a friendly bunch and this thread is the happening place to be.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-13-2013 at 07:43 AM..
 
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 AM
 
8,487 posts, read 12,289,151 times
Reputation: 19446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Cool, I just tried it and it works. It's not a perfect solution in all situations, because you end up having to scroll through a few hundred pages of all the posts that mention the word you've searched for. I can see there will be some instances where it might still be less time consuming to search by thread. But I'm still woo hoo-ing because for the most part I think Umbria's solution is the way to go.

Thanks again Umbria!
No, you don't. You apparently aren't familiar with the advanced search function.

You don't have to search all posts on C/D that include the particular word that you searched for. You can search for that word in posts only in a specific forum or forums; or, you can search the posts of just one particular person for use of that word.

When you click on the search this forum hyperlink, Instead of placing your word in the box that appears, click on the Advanced Search hyperlink that appears in blue below the box. That takes you to another screen where you can put in various screening filters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top