U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't have devices connected to the internet (other than this computer ) But as pointed out in the NIST piece, the continuous recording of electricity used throughout the day via the Smart Meter still indicates when a person leaves her home, when she arises when she returns home, watches t.v., etc. I'm not a big privacy freak (I drive a Volt, for heaven's sake) but I do believe my home should be "off limits" and I shouldn't have to pay for that right.

I'm wondering if I could go off the power grid, even though I live in a residential neighborhood. Hmmm.
They can and do use those smart meters to regulate usage during high peak hours.

Here's what Austin Energy does with smart meters.
(from the link below):
In summer, when the demand for electricity is highest, Austin Energy will briefly adjust thermostat settings or cycle off your air conditioner. Typically these adjustments will be for about two hours in the afternoon on only about 15 weekdays.

Here's a document with all the states listed and what they do:
Residential Demand Response Programs - ClearlyEnergy

Old 07-26-2014, 08:36 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I get annoyed when people still have to write checks at the check out counter. For pete's sake, get a card !!!
You don't have to write out a check at Walmart, although a lot of people still do. The check writer fills it out and they approve/sign on the card reader. I tell people that but they are 'stuck in their ways' and insist on filling the whole thing out. Especially the ones that have carbons, even though they can't READ the carbon copy. lol They say they 'have to' because they won't remember to fill it in later. I just put all my receipts in my checkbook and fill it all out when I get home but I don't have a 'short term memory' problem, I guess.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 PM

3,759 posts, read 4,274,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They can and do use those smart meters to regulate usage during high peak hours.

Here's what Austin Energy does with smart meters.
(from the link below):
In summer, when the demand for electricity is highest, Austin Energy will briefly adjust thermostat settings or cycle off your air conditioner. Typically these adjustments will be for about two hours in the afternoon on only about 15 weekdays.

Here's a document with all the states listed and what they do:
Residential Demand Response Programs - ClearlyEnergy
Maryland has a similar program, Peak Rewards, but it is regulated through a special indoor thermostat that does not require a smart meter. I don't participate in that program, but you have reminded me why I should NOT agree to the smart meter. The blood in my extremities starts clotting when the temperature drops to the high 60's (really) and I get light headed when the temp hits the high 80's (at least I don't faint anymore). My body has betrayed me! LOL

Unfortunately, my 88 year old father signed up for the program a few years ago. Not only is he incapable of changing the temperature on the "newfangled" thermostat when he is uncomfortable, BGE cycled his thermostat off during a heat wave a couple of years ago. It was bad, bad, bad.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
I have decided to self-medicate. Can't do anything about hubby's manic behaviors so I am just going to start drinking in the morning and drink all day. I just hope my stomach holds out. I can't tolerate even a glass of wine most of the time (upsets my stomach). Champagne seems to go down pretty well. This morning, a Gin Martini, not b/c I wanted a Martini but b/c there are no mixers in the house (and no Vodka, either). I would have preferred a screwdriver, as I do have orange juice.

I think this is going to do the trick. I just hope it doesn't interfere with my ability to do my client work, lololol.

Sadly, booze irritates my IBS. So I am hoping with food throughout the day, I will be able to keep a buzz on and not get sick.

Yes, I am being somewhat facetious but . . . self medication is something I am weighing out at this point. It's either that or go stark raving mad.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:05 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have decided to self-medicate. Can't do anything about hubby's manic behaviors so I am just going to start drinking in the morning and drink all day. I just hope my stomach holds out. I can't tolerate even a glass of wine most of the time (upsets my stomach). Champagne seems to go down pretty well. This morning, a Gin Martini, not b/c I wanted a Martini but b/c there are no mixers in the house (and no Vodka, either). I would have preferred a screwdriver, as I do have orange juice.

I think this is going to do the trick. I just hope it doesn't interfere with my ability to do my client work, lololol.

Sadly, booze irritates my IBS. So I am hoping with food throughout the day, I will be able to keep a buzz on and not get sick.

Yes, I am being somewhat facetious but . . . self medication is something I am weighing out at this point. It's either that or go stark raving mad.
Sending my sympathies. Maybe you should get him loaded so he sleeps - a lot

Old 07-27-2014, 11:46 AM

5,428 posts, read 6,645,614 times
Quote:

some days it is just the right thing to do.

+1 to boozin' up hubby as well

Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:

I do dark semi-sweet chocolate and red wine, both 2 x day, when my life is over the top. It works for me. I figure this $6 or so fix is better than paying for a shrink (never worked) or meds. If I could run outside, I'd do that. It clears everything nicely.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Quote:
I would have preferred a screwdriver, as I do have orange juice.
Try orange juice and peach schnapps

Old 07-27-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Try orange juice and peach schnapps
BY golly, I do have peach schnapps, lol.

I haven't been here in ages (to actually LIVE!) so the bar is down to several types of rum, a very small bit of Tequila, a small bit of Southern Comfort, some Scotch, Drambuie, Kaluha (sp?), Peppermint Schnapps, various different Ports, a case of cheap wine, and some Gin. And about 1/4 bottle of Peach Schnapps!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Sending my sympathies. Maybe you should get him loaded so he sleeps - a lot
I wish. Can't do it cause of his meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement