U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm beginning to wonder whether all Aldi's are the same. A number of posts here have indicated it's a great store to shop at (I believe its founder owns Trader Joe's). However, our Aldi's here is a terrible disappointment. It's all low-level packaged stuff, aisle after aisle of boxed and canned stuff. Produce from who knows where and not very nutritious looking (hothouse tomatoes, pale iceberg lettuce, etc). Nothing organically grown. So I'm wondering if the Aldi's in other areas of the country are much better (?)
Yes, ALDI and TJ's are owned by the same European corporation. Sometimes, you will find identical products in ALDI but they may be packaged differently.

ALDI for us is "hit or miss." This week's ad had not ONE THING in it we would eat/want/need.

I do not buy produce there, but rarely! I just never see a better price than what I can find at my "regular" grocery store. I did get some really inexpensive cabbage one time and it was very good, and also some avocados.

Last week, I picked up some German Sunflower Seed Bread, Rye Bread, Apple Tarts (made in Italy), jasmine rice.

We supplement our grocery list with things from ALDI. Their breads are wonderful, if you like that type of bread! And - non GMO.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-30-2014 at 02:23 PM..

 
Old 07-30-2014, 02:20 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
I was just looking back at ALDI's ad and did find this item -- and will go back and see if they have some more of them. They have great household items on occasion.

Easy Home 5-Function or Rain Showerhead - Aldi Weekly Ad - Charlotte

Last edited by brokensky; 07-30-2014 at 03:39 PM..
 
Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Reputation: 14875
Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder whether all Aldi's are the same.
Same with "Save-a-Lot".
People in the Frugal forum were saying how great the place was, so I gave my local store a try. Then a second try. Never again.
Dirty floors, yellow chicken, grey beef, wilted produce, prices were the same as or higher than my major grocery store.
I felt like I was across the border in a mercado de la aldea, looking for loose chickens running around the aisles.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530
Our Price Rite is pretty good, Sav A Lot is over an hour away. I don't like our Aldi, not enough produce selection.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 05:12 PM
 
10,851 posts, read 8,201,259 times
Reputation: 17210
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm beginning to wonder whether all Aldi's are the same. A number of posts here have indicated it's a great store to shop at (I believe its founder owns Trader Joe's). However, our Aldi's here is a terrible disappointment. It's all low-level packaged stuff, aisle after aisle of boxed and canned stuff. Produce from who knows where and not very nutritious looking (hothouse tomatoes, pale iceberg lettuce, etc). Nothing organically grown.
Our Aldi is the same. Has an "off" smell, too, even though the building's only about 6 years old. It's a 10-minute walk from my house and I get in the car to drive past it to another supermarket even if it's just for milk.
I love Trader Joe's, but only for speciality and take-out items.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Reputation: 27584
There's a Big Lot's on my way to the supermarket and I always stop off to see if they have anything good on sale.
Their merchandise is never the same week to week (the nature of the store). It's hit or miss but not out of the way and when I find stuff it's usually a good deal. Boxed and canned goods.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Sometimes I wonder, based on the low quality of "foods" at my local Aldi, whether I should be a bit suspicious about TJ's, they being of the same corporate family. I read all labels pretty carefully at TJ's, and have to run next door to WF for some items when in doubt. WF is called "whole paycheck," but the truth is that other than the pricey supplements and nonfood items, it's competitive with our regular supermarkets.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sometimes I wonder, based on the low quality of "foods" at my local Aldi, whether I should be a bit suspicious about TJ's, they being of the same corporate family. I read all labels pretty carefully at TJ's, and have to run next door to WF for some items when in doubt. WF is called "whole paycheck," but the truth is that other than the pricey supplements and nonfood items, it's competitive with our regular supermarkets.
I shop at many different stores. I have a Whole Foods nearby here in Charlotte and enjoy shopping there, but my favorite store (overall for the bulk of my items) is Harris Teeter (wh/ was recently bought out). Harris Teeter is regional and corporate headquarters here in Charlotte, so you can imagine - mega nice stores, especially one in particular that I love going to. But I also shop at Food Lion, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Lowes and Whole Foods, as well as TJs occasionally and ALDI for their specials. I make the rounds with the specials . . . I freeze veggies (have a free standing freezer) when on special and from local farmers markets -- as well as friends who will share some of their bounty. I used to can but no longer do that - hope to get back into that next summer.

Very fortunate that we have good grocery stores in Boone, too. But I never shop at just one grocery store. Well, the truth is . . . I do the main shopping, and then hubby loves to get out and make the rounds, gathering up specials, lol. So . . . I don't always hit all the additional stores weekly, but he does. It is recreation for him and has been for about 20 years!!! I think it satisfies the "hunter-gatherer" instinct, lololol.
 
Old 07-30-2014, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I shop at many different stores. I have a Whole Foods nearby here in Charlotte and enjoy shopping there, but my favorite store (overall for the bulk of my items) is Harris Teeter (wh/ was recently bought out). Harris Teeter is regional and corporate headquarters here in Charlotte, so you can imagine - mega nice stores, especially one in particular that I love going to. But I also shop at Food Lion, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Lowes and Whole Foods, as well as TJs occasionally and ALDI for their specials. I make the rounds with the specials . . . I freeze veggies (have a free standing freezer) when on special and from local farmers markets -- as well as friends who will share some of their bounty. I used to can but no longer do that - hope to get back into that next summer.

Very fortunate that we have good grocery stores in Boone, too. But I never shop at just one grocery store. Well, the truth is . . . I do the main shopping, and then hubby loves to get out and make the rounds, gathering up specials, lol. So . . . I don't always hit all the additional stores weekly, but he does. It is recreation for him and has been for about 20 years!!! I think it satisfies the "hunter-gatherer" instinct, lololol.
I love the idea of specials, but with all that running between stores and the price of gas, I wonder what the savings really are. We stick with TJ's and WF, which are next door to each other. There may be one or two items cheaper somewhere else, but it's not worth our time or the gas. Our shopping list of staples is fairly standard. We could probably do it with our eyes closed, lol. Farmers markets are where we splurge.
 
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM
 
Location: SoCal
6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Reputation: 5882
I'm amazed that any Aldi's has any produce. Their entire business model is to cut overhead. They don't shelve their stuff - just leave it on pallets, to avoid having to pay stockers, and use that to keep costs low. And I'm guessing they only stock what they can find that not expensive for them to buy.

TJ's business model is entirely different, so I'm not bothered by the fact that it's the same corporate owner.

I've only been to the Harris Teeter in King's Contrivance, Maryland. It was AMAZING! All the good stuff and reasonable prices of TJ's and our local farmer's market-type chain formerly named Henry's. But it was huge, and had selections to rival Jimbo's and Whole Paycheck.

We do our main shopping at Staters (local chain, less selection but generally better prices than Ralphs/Vons/Albertsons). And we supplement by shopping at TJ's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top