U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,351,370 times

Advertisements

Harris Teeter in Asheville has a 5% discount for those over 60, on Thursdays. We shop there for most things. We like Fresh Market for meat and seafood, and Trader Joe's and Fresh market for specialty items, baked goods, prepared items. A new Whole Foods is being built nearby, so we will be trying that soon.

We are still getting settled, and scoping out the roadside stands and tailgate markets for fruits, vegetables, and home made goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
I'm really excited about what I will find shopping wise in the Jupiter area, we are so limited here. But we did have a pretty good time for the last twenty years. No regrets.

Quick moving thunderstorm just rolled through, keep an eye out you east coasters. No hail, though.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,615,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I love the idea of specials, but with all that running between stores and the price of gas, I wonder what the savings really are. We stick with TJ's and WF, which are next door to each other. There may be one or two items cheaper somewhere else, but it's not worth our time or the gas. Our shopping list of staples is fairly standard. We could probably do it with our eyes closed, lol. Farmers markets are where we splurge.
We have been lucky that we have 5 grocery stores within 2 miles of us here in Charlotte. They are spread out over 6 miles in Boone and 4.5 miles in Hickory.

If it involved more mileage than that, it wouldn't be feasible. Regardless, with hubby not working full time any longer, it wouldn't matter if it were 25 miles - he is going to get in the car and drive somewhere daily. I have never been around anyone like that - who just HAS to get out daily, but after this many years, I have accepted it is just part of who he is, lol. I like to plan all my trips in one day and make the rounds one time a week (the way my Grandmother did!).

Hubby is out right now . . . pharmacy, dry cleaners and grocery store. Luckily, they are all located within feet of each other and 1.5 miles from our front door. He will find another reason to get out this afternoon, too, about 4 pm.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:01 AM

This is my Harris Teeter, better known as the Taj MaTeeter, lol. They have valet parking.

Clear Sky Images Commercial Photography | South Park Retail | Morrocroft Harris Teeter 05

And yes, I am going to miss the upscale retail -- all located within 2.5 miles of my home -- once we relocate. It was good while it lasted!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm amazed that any Aldi's has any produce. Their entire business model is to cut overhead. They don't shelve their stuff - just leave it on pallets, to avoid having to pay stockers, and use that to keep costs low. And I'm guessing they only stock what they can find that not expensive for them to buy.

TJ's business model is entirely different, so I'm not bothered by the fact that it's the same corporate owner.

I've only been to the Harris Teeter in King's Contrivance, Maryland. It was AMAZING! All the good stuff and reasonable prices of TJ's and our local farmer's market-type chain formerly named Henry's. But it was huge, and had selections to rival Jimbo's and Whole Paycheck.

We do our main shopping at Staters (local chain, less selection but generally better prices than Ralphs/Vons/Albertsons). And we supplement by shopping at TJ's.
We have two ALDIs near us in S. Charlotte. One is less than 3 miles; the other is about 5 miles. Both are very clean; the closest one is about 1/2 the size of the other one. We inquired about the produce, and were told that the bulk of the items are "local produce" except for citrus fruits. However, we learned after moving here to Charlotte that what is referred to as "local produce" (by all the grocery stores) is typically produce bought from a large warehouse in nearby South Carolina, and is mostly grown in Florida. We have also found that at the local farmer's markets, many of the vendors present themselves as selling "local produce" -- but it is actually from that same warehouse.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:38 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,470,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

If it involved more mileage than that, it wouldn't be feasible. Regardless, with hubby not working full time any longer, it wouldn't matter if it were 25 miles - he is going to get in the car and drive somewhere daily. I have never been around anyone like that - who just HAS to get out daily, feet of each other and 1.5 miles from our front door. He will find another reason to get out this afternoon, too, about 4 pm.

I'm like this also - even in the winter I just feel better if I get away from this house for a bit - refreshed. I am less than 1 mile from the beginning of the chain of lakes area and it's always nice to drive through there - during all seasons.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:43 AM

20,120 posts, read 20,237,163 times
This old and retired thing......I've spent a good share of the day so far sitting at this computer.....doing some research has been the excuse even though that's not what has accounted for most of the time.
I try to remind myself that I don't need any excuses for goofing off one day but you can see how far that has bit into the guilt

Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
bummer, no Harris Teeter in Florida south of Jax

Old 07-31-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I'm like this also - even in the winter I just feel better if I get away from this house for a bit - refreshed. I am less than 1 mile from the beginning of the chain of lakes area and it's always nice to drive through there - during all seasons.
Ohhhh - that sounds beautiful, UMBRIA! And yes, refreshing!

Hubby is miserable on days without the sun -- which is the main reason he could not seriously consider moving back to the Kansas City metro. Just too many winter days with no sun. That is also a problem for him in the mountains.

He does really well -- seems to have more stamina! -- when he gets out during the day, even if it is a dreary day. In fact, he seems to need to get out even MORE on the dreary days.

I like being out at night so I prefer buying groceries, taking a walk, or filling up on gas after dark, lol. I even prefer sweeping the decks and tending to my potted plants after dark, especially on a moonlit night. I know - crazy.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
bummer, no Harris Teeter in Florida south of Jax
So many of my friends who have relocated here to NC from Florida loved their Publix! We have now gotten some Publix in Charlotte. Hubby occasionally heads to the one that is south of us and on the state line, then goes into SC to fill up on gas (cheaper gas b/c of lower gas tax in SC).

Maybe you will find things at Publix that you like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement