U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This old and retired thing......I've spent a good share of the day so far sitting at this computer.....doing some research has been the excuse even though that's not what has accounted for most of the time.
I try to remind myself that I don't need any excuses for goofing off one day but you can see how far that has bit into the guilt
Just give yourself permission to do whatever you feel like doing!!! Whenever you feel like doing it!!!!

To quote (or paraphrase) Scarlett O'Hara . . . "After all, tomorrow is another day."

Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ohhhh - that sounds beautiful, UMBRIA! And yes, refreshing!

Hubby is miserable on days without the sun -- which is the main reason he could not seriously consider moving back to the Kansas City metro. Just too many winter days with no sun. That is also a problem for him in the mountains.

He does really well -- seems to have more stamina! -- when he gets out during the day, even if it is a dreary day. In fact, he seems to need to get out even MORE on the dreary days.

I like being out at night so I prefer buying groceries, taking a walk, or filling up on gas after dark, lol. I even prefer sweeping the decks and tending to my potted plants after dark, especially on a moonlit night. I know - crazy.
I do most of my grocery shopping and Target shopping at night. But, the potted plants at night - nooooooo - could be little critters in them

Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This old and retired thing......I've spent a good share of the day so far sitting at this computer.....doing some research has been the excuse even though that's not what has accounted for most of the time.
I try to remind myself that I don't need any excuses for goofing off one day but you can see how far that has bit into the guilt
We are so brainwashed - or is it responsible? Maybe there's a connection between being brainwashed and being responsible.

I got into a new book by James Patterson and sat down to read for 1 hour (I actually give myself these stupid edicts). It is so good and I had to severely chastised myself to "get yer butt up" an "get er done".

When I leave here I'm going to do what I please when I please. I am RETIRED!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
We are so brainwashed - or is it responsible? Maybe there's a connection between being brainwashed and being responsible.

I got into a new book by James Patterson and sat down to read for 1 hour (I actually give myself these stupid edicts). It is so good and I had to severely chastised myself to "get yer butt up" an "get er done".

When I leave here I'm going to do what I please when I please. I am RETIRED!!!!!!!!
And you fully deserve every single minute of enjoyment and pleasure that you have more than earned.

Can I get a big AMEN from the chorus.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
And you fully deserve every single minute of enjoyment and pleasure that you have more than earned.

Can I get a big AMEN from the chorus.
AMEN!!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I do most of my grocery shopping and Target shopping at night. But, the potted plants at night - nooooooo - could be little critters in them
Oh dear. Critters. Well, I used to find slugs when I did this in Kansas, lol.

Guess I better stick to trimming leaves only at night.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:

It's the same for me. I was so used to reading a book before going to bed while I was working and now I read in the day but I feel like I need to earn time to read it. So I weeded and trimmed for a few hours so I could read a new Martha Grimes book I picked up at the library yesterday, without any guilt for a bit this afternoon. I've tried reading before bed and get a few pages in before it drops to the floor. It takes a long time to read a book that way. I sleep way too well since I retired, so I'm using productive day time to read now. I admit I get a lot done with chores and the reading though; guilt has it's uses.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Oh, you guys are wa-ay too disciplined.

I can pick up a book at 8 AM. Next thing I know it's 2 PM.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
LOL Amen, y'all........

Off to hang laundry,screwing the electric company out of using the dryer!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:24 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL Amen, y'all........

Off to hang laundry,screwing the electric company out of using the dryer!
Oh I hate using the dryer--electric rates in this part of the country are through the roof. Fresh air and sunshine is far better for the laundry anyway. Screw the electric company, is right!

I feel guilt too if I read during the day. We're supposed to be busy during the day, not reading. Funny how that guilt doesn't seem to affect messing around on the computer though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement