U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times

Advertisements

I turn 65 in Sept so my Medicare coverage begins on Sept 1. I'm wondering if the monthly premium for Part B is deducted from my SS payment starting in August to cover Sept or does in start with my Sept payment which for me is not until the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

Thank you for your help with this little question.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:17 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
... We have also found that at the local farmer's markets, many of the vendors present themselves as selling "local produce" -- but it is actually from that same warehouse.
Yeah, we have that problem here with our farmers' markets. The way we escape the cheaters is to learn the names of the local farms, and only buy from them.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yeah, we have that problem here with our farmers' markets. The way we escape the cheaters is to learn the names of the local farms, and only buy from them.
The same happened to Farmer Markets around here.

One now has on their application questions about their produce/product.
It has to be grown/produced on their farm and they have to have an inspection by the Farmer's Market committee before they can sell. And they only allow farmers/artisans from the 3 surrounding counties to participate. They really worked hard to make it "local".

The last time I went to the Farmer's Market in the Austin area the tomato guy had boxes upon boxes of tomatoes with printing on the side of some commercial farm in north Texas.

Maybe people can buy wholesale and then go to the markets and resell for a markup ?

I only go to the Farmer's Market that have instituted rules to make sure the produce stays local.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Zug, they always draw early. Count on it.

LOL you all, I like the hostas because I am a laaaaaaaazy gardener. I have to do all the lawn maintenance now so I don't care.

Hopefully when we move I will become a real gardener.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
I am not ready for August to be here.

The summer is speeding away. :-(

Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Ugh, ani, I feel your pain. Seems like we just got out of that horrible winter and now it's looming in the distance ahead.

Every time I walk out in the yard I can still 'see' the snow cover. I never remembered winters like that before, or worried about them coming so soon.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ugh, ani, I feel your pain. Seems like we just got out of that horrible winter and now it's looming in the distance ahead.

Every time I walk out in the yard I can still 'see' the snow cover. I never remembered winters like that before, or worried about them coming so soon.
Same here. And I LOVE winter. But it has been a lovely summer weather-wise and I don't want it to end.

Of course, part of my sadness about summer going is -- I don't have the house on the market. The townhome is not half finished, either.

I think I am going to go ahead and move at least part of the stuff into the townhouse and nix the rest of the renovations for now (or do whatever can be done with working around furniture). Time has run out. I had designed custom closets but forget that now. Forget adding tile to walls in bathroom; custom fixtures, etc. I am just going to get moved in and then do everything afterwards. Trust me, I would wait but hubby is going bananas - stressing and being difficult about the townhouse not being move-in ready. So . . . if he wants to move in without the stuff upgraded and it will stop the madness w/ his diatribes, then move we shall.

I am going to give it 2 more weeks and whatever isn't accomplished at that period will just have to be completed while working around furniture and boxes.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
I am not ready for August to be here.

The summer is speeding away. :-(
August is my favorite month of the year, particularly late August and early Sept (time of Virgo). It's such a calm time for me and I love the weather, even if it's hot. We're going to take our vacation time then, as most of the other tourists will have swept through and gone. But the thought of winter coming once again.... Thankfully, we have a lovely New England fall to look forward to, so one day at a time.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
I am going to give it 2 more weeks and whatever isn't accomplished at that period will just have to be completed while working around furniture and boxes.
In our extensive renovations here after we moved, we moved everything in place in all the rooms except the one room he could work on with the least disruption. As it turned out, we took an overall approach a little here, a little there all over the house just to get the basic big stuff done. Now we're at the point where we can swing back through each room and do all the touch-ups and then, by spring, we've got to be done.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In our extensive renovations here after we moved, we moved everything in place in all the rooms except the one room he could work on with the least disruption. As it turned out, we took an overall approach a little here, a little there all over the house just to get the basic big stuff done. Now we're at the point where we can swing back through each room and do all the touch-ups and then, by spring, we've got to be done.
That's what I have been doing my entire life, so I don't have a problem with it being done that way. Husband is the one who insisted it all be completed before we move in. His problem now is - he is upset b/c it hasn't gone fast enough.

And I am tired of the hell-raising b/c no one can make it all happen in 6 weeks.

So I am calling the movers and having it dumped in and then hubby can just figure it all out through the chaos. He cannot abide disorder.

I always did renovations when he was out of town while he was working. And all the mountain house stuff is done when he isn't there. He is OCD and can't handle the chaos and I can't handle his going ballistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement