U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In what way and why? Just curious.
I won't go into detail but both times I got a creepy feeling that someone was watching me and when I turned/looked my eyes were met with that dead hateful look.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Once I layed over at the Cleveland airport and all I could think of was, wow, these people are really well dressed and fashionable. Of course, that was ten or so years ago.

Enjoy your trip ER, too bad you didn't start a thread for it.

We are hooked on old Magnum PI, Night Court and Murphy Brown reruns as of late......

Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I won't go into detail but both times I got a creepy feeling that someone was watching me and when I turned/looked my eyes were met with that dead hateful look.
I wouldn't necessarily correlate that with the city of Cleveland. It could happen anywhere there's a city population.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
It looks like I'm getting into the matchmaking business, lol.

Last week a small group of unpartnered ladies my age and I went out to a bar after an event and started to brainstorm ideas on how they at their age can meet men. Of course we had a couple of drinks and got going on this, laughing our heads off.

I soon found myself offering (with my graphic design/computer skills) one of the ladies the option of me making her a "calling card" the kind used in days of yore in social situations. I was kind of joking. She jumped on it. So that night we came up with a neat quote by a famous author to grace one side of the card, and just her first and middle names with an alt email address on the other.

I did this up and emailed the card to her and she's ready to use it. She had just signed up for a match service. Later that eve I also found myself offering to take her head shot for her online profile with the service. I do take great portraits. We took the shot outdoors with her in a nice outfit and a lovely smile. She sent it to the service and now she's in business. She's just gotten 3 matches with gents in the last few days.

The only problem is that the other ladies in the group now want me to do this for them, and one of them wants me to write her profile. I cannot take this kind of time and so am wondering if I ought to charge. After all, it isn't cheap by a longshot to sign on to these match services. And I have better things to do with any volunteer time. And they are well-heeled.

So...what to do.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily correlate that with the city of Cleveland. It could happen anywhere there's a city population.
I use to travel all over the US with my job. There are cities that give off a good vibe and there are places that just have a bad vibe about them. It's like people are just angry and looking for a fight. That's the general vibe I got from Cleveland. Obviously everyone is not like this. Also, this was a long time ago - over 20 years but it doesn't surprise me to see it on a list of the 10 most dangerous cities.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:33 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
NEG: You should do it!!!! What a wonderful way to fill a need and you can make $$ too. I often wondered if, after a certain age, we shouldn't just hang a placard around our neck when we go out that says "Available". Just think, you might be able to franchise this idea and become a multi millionaress !!
And we were the first to know. How about that.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 AM

I tried to get mom to order 'calling cards' but it never went anywhere. I think it's a great idea, especially if you relationship has changed, it's a subtle way of letting people know you're single or married, etc.

Compare what Vistaprint charges and go from there. Don't forget the sshipping, that's where they nail ya!

Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 AM

494 posts, read 890,401 times
Quote:
It looks like I'm getting into the matchmaking business, lol.

Last week a small group of unpartnered ladies my age and I went out to a bar after an event and started to brainstorm ideas on how they at their age can meet men. Of course we had a couple of drinks and got going on this, laughing our heads off.

I soon found myself offering (with my graphic design/computer skills) one of the ladies the option of me making her a "calling card" the kind used in days of yore in social situations. I was kind of joking. She jumped on it. So that night we came up with a neat quote by a famous author to grace one side of the card, and just her first and middle names with an alt email address on the other.

I did this up and emailed the card to her and she's ready to use it. She had just signed up for a match service. Later that eve I also found myself offering to take her head shot for her online profile with the service. I do take great portraits. We took the shot outdoors with her in a nice outfit and a lovely smile. She sent it to the service and now she's in business. She's just gotten 3 matches with gents in the last few days.

The only problem is that the other ladies in the group now want me to do this for them, and one of them wants me to write her profile. I cannot take this kind of time and so am wondering if I ought to charge. After all, it isn't cheap by a longshot to sign on to these match services. And I have better things to do with any volunteer time. And they are well-heeled.

So...what to do.
NEg, you did too good a job for the first one (should have sworn her to secrecy if you were going to do all that work for free)!

But more seriously, if you want to change the relationship to a business one, then go for it. It might be one of the more fun business opportunities!

But if you want your relationship with the group to stay personal, I don't think there's any good way to bring up now that this is your professional line of work and so you want to be paid for it going forward. No matter how you word it, any freeloader wannabes will feel busted, and the nice people (probably the majority, and maybe all of the group) who were just thinking of including you in their latest fun activity (and were considering it as a compliment to your talent to ask for help) will be embarrassed that they didn't think to offer to pay.

Maybe you could do a one-time workshop for all of them together--tell them to bring their rough drafts and an assortment of photos to pick from and you can all "peer critique" each other (with you in a facilitator role). That way, you just spend a pleasant afternoon and don't have any "homework" to do that feels like unpaid work.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:29 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I think Ani is planning to "escape" from home

I've been to Cleveland twice an both times I could feel the hateful stares before I even saw the person.
I am hoping to have some time alone this coming week (but not like spa time - I will be packing, lol). I really need to be alone for a few days, sleep when I feel like it, not get interrupted. Not having enough sleep takes a terrible toll on me physically and right now, I feel so very very tired.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:30 AM

^^^ Brilliant! Well said. The relationship factor might outweight the friendship factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement