U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 11:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
NEg, you did too good a job for the first one (should have sworn her to secrecy if you were going to do all that work for free)!

But more seriously, if you want to change the relationship to a business one, then go for it. It might be one of the more fun business opportunities!

But if you want your relationship with the group to stay personal, I don't think there's any good way to bring up now that this is your professional line of work and so you want to be paid for it going forward. No matter how you word it, any freeloader wannabes will feel busted, and the nice people (probably the majority, and maybe all of the group) who were just thinking of including you in their latest fun activity (and were considering it as a compliment to your talent to ask for help) will be embarrassed that they didn't think to offer to pay.

Maybe you could do a one-time workshop for all of them together--tell them to bring their rough drafts and an assortment of photos to pick from and you can all "peer critique" each other (with you in a facilitator role). That way, you just spend a pleasant afternoon and don't have any "homework" to do that feels like unpaid work.
Great idea, City_Datarer! A workshop!

Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I use to travel all over the US with my job. There are cities that give off a good vibe and there are places that just have a bad vibe about them. It's like people are just angry and looking for a fight. That's the general vibe I got from Cleveland. Obviously everyone is not like this. Also, this was a long time ago - over 20 years but it doesn't surprise me to see it on a list of the 10 most dangerous cities.
I agree. Even in an upscale hotel, and with being somewhat "removed" from the nitty gritty of a city, I have always "sensed the vibe" of every place I have traveled - especially when it felt negative.

I haven't been to Cleveland since I was a kid, I don't think. One of my good friends has family there and they are trying to get out (complicated at retirement when the adult kids are still there - we all know how that goes). But his description of the region is very depressing -- evidently there is a very large drug culture there, and a listlessness b/c of under employment. Sad.

Several of my "new" friends moved here from areas of Ohio - one from a town outside of Cleveland. She has never said much except it is getting really depressing to live there and that anyone with talent and the opportunity to leave gets the hell out. She cited the crime and drugs, too. She is very happy in NC.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 AM

494 posts, read 890,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Great idea, City_Datarer! A workshop!
Thanks, Ani.

I hope you're at least able to get some R (rest), for now, and that R & R isn't too far off!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Ani.

I hope you're at least able to get some R (rest), for now, and that R & R isn't too far off!
Awwww - thank you, C_D!!! I am looking towards Thanksgiving. That is my target date for life to be in a new groove. And Thanksgiving will be here in only a matter of weeks!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:17 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am hoping to have some time alone this coming week (but not like spa time - I will be packing, lol). I really need to be alone for a few days, sleep when I feel like it, not get interrupted. Not having enough sleep takes a terrible toll on me physically and right now, I feel so very very tired.
YES! When I was married I worked long hours - average 9-10 a day many times 6 days a week. So when my EX would say "Do you mind if I go play racket ball?" I would get absolutely giddy inside and say: "Not at all - enjoy!" After dealing with so many people all day at work I loved my alone time with my dogs - they never said a word and would only wag their tails. Peace~~~~

Hope you get your alone time to do whatever your heart desires.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
YES! When I was married I worked long hours - average 9-10 a day many times 6 days a week. So when my EX would say "Do you mind if I go play racket ball?" I would get absolutely giddy inside and say: "Not at all - enjoy!" After dealing with so many people all day at work I loved my alone time with my dogs - they never said a word and would only wag their tails. Peace~~~~

Hope you get your alone time to do whatever your heart desires.
I hope so, too!!! And thank you for the good wishes.

And to share something that may be of some interest to some of you . . .

A friend gave me some yellow squash. I had seen a recipe for baking squash and modified it.

Cut the squash into slices - less than 1/2 inch but more than 1/4 inch, lol. Place them all on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil lightly over each piece. Put in preheated 350 F oven for about 10 minutes.

Remove, then sprinkle season salt (I use Mrs. Dash which has no salt) lightly on each piece. Then sprinkle Parmesan cheese to coat each piece (you can grate your own or just use the stuff in the shaker container).

Return to over for about 12-15 minutes.

Serve immediately.

These were so tasty!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:

Maybe you could do a one-time workshop for all of them together--tell them to bring their rough drafts and an assortment of photos to pick from and you can all "peer critique" each other (with you in a facilitator role). That way, you just spend a pleasant afternoon and don't have any "homework" to do that feels like unpaid work.
Nice advice, CD! I like that idea. It will get me off the hook and just take a few hours over coffee. For some reason I sometimes find myself in a position of offering something nice to someone and then it grows to wider expectations. When you're retired, others often think you have all the time in the world...to help them. Of a more serious nature, I'm always willing to help with no recompense.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Slow Road Home

While this is the title of a book by local author Fred First it was also the rule of the road tonight as I traveled to and from the home of some friends who had invited me to dinner.

The trip there included dense fog for the first 6 or 7 miles, a loose dog that I just missed hitting followed by 5 separate bunnies who insisted on running along the narrow grass strip at the center of their long winding gravel driveway rather than darting off into the tall grass on either side.

Nice dinner, including a dessert of local grown peaches grilled on the big Green Egg.

When it was time to head home there were of course more bunnies (or maybe the same ones) as I headed down the driveway. It was not quite full on dark so the deer were out enjoying their own dinners. I had three separate close encounters with small groups of them racing across the road and leaping high over the pasture fences. Then it was back in to the very thick fog for the last half dozen miles, with eyes moving fast from side to side (like the ones you've probably seen on those cat clocks) as I scanned for deer at every twist and turn.

A trip that normally takes 25 to 30 minutes lasted about 45 as I crept along home.

Tomorrow I head down to NC to the home of my young friend who, along with her 31 team mates finished their 4,220 mile cross country bicycle trip last Sunday when they arrived at the Pacific ocean in Monterey, CA. There is to be a Welcome Home and Goodbye party for her since she leaves on Thursday for Johannisburg, South Africa for the fall semester of her junior year abroad. Her mom tells me that she has been delighted to sleep in a real bed and to not have to get up at 4 or 4:30 am after spending the night in a gym or church hall, in a sleeping bag, with everyone crowded around. Privacy. A long, hot shower. Life is good.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Slow Road Home

While this is the title of a book by local author Fred First it was also the rule of the road tonight as I traveled to and from the home of some friends who had invited me to dinner.

The trip there included dense fog for the first 6 or 7 miles, a loose dog that I just missed hitting followed by 5 separate bunnies who insisted on running along the narrow grass strip at the center of their long winding gravel driveway rather than darting off into the tall grass on either side.

Nice dinner, including a dessert of local grown peaches grilled on the big Green Egg.

When it was time to head home there were of course more bunnies (or maybe the same ones) as I headed down the driveway. It was not quite full on dark so the deer were out enjoying their own dinners. I had three separate close encounters with small groups of them racing across the road and leaping high over the pasture fences. Then it was back in to the very thick fog for the last half dozen miles, with eyes moving fast from side to side (like the ones you've probably seen on those cat clocks) as I scanned for deer at every twist and turn.

A trip that normally takes 25 to 30 minutes lasted about 45 as I crept along home.

Tomorrow I head down to NC to the home of my young friend who, along with her 31 team mates finished their 4,220 mile cross country bicycle trip last Sunday when they arrived at the Pacific ocean in Monterey, CA. There is to be a Welcome Home and Goodbye party for her since she leaves on Thursday for Johannisburg, South Africa for the fall semester of her junior year abroad. Her mom tells me that she has been delighted to sleep in a real bed and to not have to get up at 4 or 4:30 am after spending the night in a gym or church hall, in a sleeping bag, with everyone crowded around. Privacy. A long, hot shower. Life is good.
What a trip and not everyone would have been so cautious in order to avoid running over a dog or bunny or hit a deer. Glad you made it home OK. This friend of yours has some life - can't even imagine. Makes me feel like I've led a sheltered boring life.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:35 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
What a trip and not everyone would have been so cautious in order to avoid running over a dog or bunny or hit a deer. Glad you made it home OK.

When, not if, you hit a deer around here it generally runs 3 - 4 grand to fix the damage. I've been lucky so far.

This friend of yours has some life - can't even imagine. Makes me feel like I've led a sheltered boring life.
Yeah, to be 20 years young again. I think it probably helps that both her parents are commercial airline pilots who have traveled the world and made plenty of friends, have hosted foreign exchange students for many years and have never been "helicopter" parents, although both of them do have their helicopter ratings. When I attended their wedding 25 years ago people came from China, Germany, Scotland, Belize, Australia and all over the USA.

She and her twin brother both got their private pilots licenses last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement