U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
 
Location: California Mountains
1,448 posts, read 2,613,123 times
Reputation: 2339

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Grey drizzly day here near the Berkshires.

On another note, anyone contemplating a move to New England would want to visit here in Jan-Feb for sure. These are the two months that send folks over the edge with cabin fever. Now that we heat with a wood stove in the LR, it's still a cozy time of year here. And I am committed to walking every day with the camera, have gotten some great outdoor shots. If retirees like the outdoors, there's always something to appreciate in a northern winter. That said, I just DM'd a friend admitting that I have a shade of jealousy for those living in areas with warm sunny winters. I may have to visit my San Clemente sister to break up the rest of this stretch.

I read somewhere that it is 30 warmer than usual in the East Coast, and 30 colder than usual in the West Coast this winter. It is true for CA, especially Southern CA.

Here in the mountains, we have had many days with temperature near or below zero. Last week, with windchill, it was between -15 and -17 at night. This week, without windchill, it's between -3 and -5 in the daytime. Not much snow though, only half a dozen times since December, with about 6" new accumulation with each snowfall.

One good thing about living up here: the sky is always blue, no matter the temperature.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 01-15-2013 at 04:49 PM..

 
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Neg--hope you enjoy the movie. Les Mis may not be for everyone, but I have a feeling that if it struck a chord the first time you'll love it just as much seeing it again today.
The book is a masterpiece, and the movie is as well. If anyone feels they may not like it they should give it a try, even if they have not read the book. Who knows, they may be surprised. But even if they don't like it, they will know what a great story it is.
 
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Winston deaf English bulldog scoots to the blues

Cutest thing I've seen in a long time
That's quite good. Here's my Jack Russell's hero, Uggie from the movie "The Artist." My little fella is trying to get the hang of it.

Uggie Skating.mpg - YouTube
 
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
 
Location: California Mountains
1,448 posts, read 2,613,123 times
Reputation: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The book is a masterpiece, and the movie is as well. If anyone feels they may not like it they should give it a try, even if they have not read the book. Who knows, they may be surprised. But even if they don't like it, they will know what a great story it is.
I have not seen the movie, but we saw the play twice in London and once in NYC. I read the book in the original language as part of the curriculum in 11th grade and did the book report in the same language as well. That was the only time I read it. It was too depressing in French, I did not want to try it in English.
 
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I have not seen the movie, but we saw the play twice in London and once in NYC. I read the book in the original language as part of the curriculum in 11th grade and did the book report in the same language as well. That was the only time I read it. It was too depressing in French, I did not want to try it in English.
There are some truly wonderful parts. One is when Jean Valjean is released from prison with absolutely nothing, and he stumbles into a church were he is given food and a bed for the night. For some reason (the unanswered part we have to ask Hugo about), this basically good man (who did 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread for his sister's starving child) steals a bunch of silver from the church the next morning. When he is caught fleeing and brought back to the priest by the police, he knows he is doomed forever. However, the priest tells the police that the silver was given to him, that he did not steal it. And the priest goes to the table and takes two silver candlesticks and brings them to Valjean, saying "Here, you forgot these in your haste." And then he proceeds to tell Valjean to make a new life for himself, to do something good with the money....and of course he does but his one crime 20 years back haunts him...as well as the persistent the parole officer Javert who pursues him after he breaks parole...all of his life.

The part that moved me the most were the students in the 1832 uprising, some three dozen years after the French Revolution when nothing really changed for the people...they just got another bad king after the one that got deposed. The students and their fight and their songs were magnificent in the movie, as was the little boy-child revolutionary.
 
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
 
Location: California Mountains
1,448 posts, read 2,613,123 times
Reputation: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are some truly wonderful parts. One is when Jean Valjean is released from prison with absolutely nothing, and he stumbles into a church were he is given food and a bed for the night. For some reason (the unanswered part we have to ask Hugo about), this basically good man (who did 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread for his sister's starving child) steals a bunch of silver from the church the next morning. When he is caught fleeing and brought back to the priest by the police, he knows he is doomed forever. However, the priest tells the police that the silver was given to him, that he did not steal it. And the priest goes to the table and takes two silver candlesticks and brings them to Valjean, saying "Here, you forgot these in your haste." And then he proceeds to tell Valjean to make a new life for himself, to do something good with the money....and of course he does but his one crime 20 years back haunts him...as well as the persistent the parole officer Javert who pursues him after he breaks parole...all of his life.

The part that moved me the most were the students in the 1832 uprising, some three dozen years after the French Revolution when nothing really changed for the people...they just got another bad king after the one that got deposed. The students and their fight and their songs were magnificent in the movie, as was the little boy-child revolutionary.
Yep, both scenes were in the play. Lots of singing in place of introduction and explanations too.
 
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
That's quite good. Here's my Jack Russell's hero, Uggie from the movie "The Artist." My little fella is trying to get the hang of it.


Uggie Skating.mpg - YouTube
I am always amazed when I see these dogs skate board or surf. Take a video when you teach your dog - maybe he can learn how to drive a car


I am going to watch my Les M movie tonight - you have me intrigued. I really hate the singing stuff though.
 
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I am going to watch my Les M movie tonight - you have me intrigued. I really hate the singing stuff though.
You must see the current Les Mis movie in the theater on the huge screen. Or are you watching the one with Liam Neeson? At any rate, treat yourself to a theater ticket.
 
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Thoughts about today's CNN item?

Debt ceiling: Is Social Security at risk? - Jan. 16, 2013
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:06 AM
 
30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
Reputation: 11966
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You might find this interesting.

Hardliners shift stance on US debt ceiling - FT.com




Quote:
A conservative activist group backed by the industrialist Koch brothers is urging Republicans to show restraint during US debt ceiling negotiations, representing a shift in position by the usually hardline Americans for Prosperity.

The move by the influential group underscores concern that a political stand-off over extending the US’s borrowing limit, which many Republicans are pushing for at the end of February, would diminish public support for sharp cuts in government spending, AFP’s stated goal. AFP opposed an agreement that raised the debt ceiling in 2011 because it said the deal did not go far enough to cut spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top