U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 02:05 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I could say I was just out in the CA desert and got clunked on the head by a shower of large hail and am having memory problems. Except then they'd just call me senile and take my license away.
OK, ya made me scare my cat.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes I agree you should call the local police and inquire about this.
In our community, you cannot solicit without getting a permit from the city (Chandler), but the evangelists do solicit and I either look out the window and do not answer the door, or just politely say I already have a church. In addition I posted a little sign at my doorbell "Please no soliciting".

Because these "kids" were so nasty and you were frightened by their advances, I would definitely report this, even after the fact. There was no need for a nasty comment from them and if you can find out who they are, I would report this to their supervisor.
Thanks all, for your feedback. It's such a rare thing for door to door here in my n'hood. Three years and this is only the 2nd or 3rd time. I think I'll have a chat with the local PD.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
I just received my license tabs renewal (ue in Sept) - because it's a new car it's "$336.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I planned to stay here I would just grin and bear it because I get how this works BUT

I plan to be out of this state in Oct!!! I pay $336 for 1 month - 2 at the most. Then I can pay a similar amount in NC

OK, all together now 1-2-3

THAT REALLY SUCKS

Moral of this story - timing is everything.
What is a license tab renewal??? Same as registration?

In Mass., excise tax alone (this is not annual registration) on vehicles is outrageous. My 2014 Subaru was $500 for 2014 after paying one month of $130 for it at the end of 2013! It's supposed to go down a little each year for 5 years and then it freezes at that point forever. Who can beat that???

Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Wow to those registration fees. In VA price is based on vehicle weight. I paid $72.00 back in March and that was for 2 years. I just checked the DMV website and fees went up last month. I got a three dollar discount for doing multi-year and on line. Currently a passenger car under 4,000 pounds is $40.75 for one year and $45.75 for those that weigh 4 - 6,000.

I just renewed my drivers license and that was $32.00 for 8 years.

Umbria - just steal some plates with a number similar to yours with tags that are good for a couple more months.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
What is a license tab renewal??? Same as registration?

In Mass., excise tax alone (this is not annual registration) on vehicles is outrageous. My 2014 Subaru was $500 for 2014 after paying one month of $130 for it at the end of 2013! It's supposed to go down a little each year for 5 years and then it freezes at that point forever. Who can beat that???
Yes, it's registration. Ours goes down each year until it reaches $45 - which is what I paid on my last 2 cars.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Wow to those registration fees. In VA price is based on vehicle weight. I paid $72.00 back in March and that was for 2 years. I just checked the DMV website and fees went up last month. I got a three dollar discount for doing multi-year and on line. Currently a passenger car under 4,000 pounds is $40.75 for one year and $45.75 for those that weigh 4 - 6,000.

I just renewed my drivers license and that was $32.00 for 8 years.

Umbria - just steal some plates with a number similar to yours with tags that are good for a couple more months.
WOW! I like those prices. Bad, bad Zugor - giving me such ideas.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Bad, bad Zugor - giving me such ideas.
zugor hangs head in shame.

No, not really, she's hanging her head so that you don't see her laughing.

On the DMV website it said to be sure to remove the old tags and apply the new ones to the metal of the plate because if you put them on over the old tags they can be peeled off sometimes. Now, don't go getting any bad ideas and go out searching for old cars with lots of layers of tags on the plates.

Now that I'm about to turn 65 I seem to be getting rather feisty and ornery, but it feels good so....

Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
My neighbor's hail pictures
Attachment 134871
Attachment 134872
My lavender plants really got battered.
The desert in August. Sheesh!
Oh nooooo. That looks awful!!! Amazing the damage hail can do to roofs, siding, trees, cars, etc.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
zugor hangs head in shame.

No, not really, she's hanging her head so that you don't see her laughing.

On the DMV website it said to be sure to remove the old tags and apply the new ones to the metal of the plate because if you put them on over the old tags they can be peeled off sometimes. Now, don't go getting any bad ideas and go out searching for old cars with lots of layers of tags on the plates.

Now that I'm about to turn 65 I seem to be getting rather feisty and ornery, but it feels good so....
I have a splendid idea:

Let's meet at Ani's house and steal her NC plates and then I won't have that expense.

Whaaahahahahahha (in my most devilish laugh)

Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
I have a splendid idea:

Let's meet at Ani's house and steal her NC plates and then I won't have that expense.

Whaaahahahahahha (in my most devilish laugh)
Come on down! But you will have to fight me over those plates! lol

Did I tell you that I got stopped week before last for expired tags and no registration renewal? (I did have full insurance coverage, of course). They could have impounded my car and taken me to the pokey! I had not even noticed that the tag needed renewing. Not to sound like the "little woman" who relies on hubby for everything, but in our marriage, we have the responsibilities divided up as to paperwork, and he takes care of all car registrations, license tags, inspections and tax payments on vehicles. So I never even thought about it. But of course, he has been very ill and did not notice it was time to renew the tags. So I got stopped! The HP officer was sooo nice and let me off without even a ticket as long as I promised to take care of things that afternoon (which I did).

So yeah, you will have to fight me for that tag, hee hee hee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement