U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Come on down! But you will have to fight me over those plates! lol

Did I tell you that I got stopped week before last for expired tags and no registration renewal? (I did have full insurance coverage, of course). They could have impounded my car and taken me to the pokey! I had not even noticed that the tag needed renewing. Not to sound like the "little woman" who relies on hubby for everything, but in our marriage, we have the responsibilities divided up as to paperwork, and he takes care of all car registrations, license tags, inspections and tax payments on vehicles. So I never even thought about it. But of course, he has been very ill and did not notice it was time to renew the tags. So I got stopped! The HP officer was sooo nice and let me off without even a ticket as long as I promised to take care of things that afternoon (which I did).

So yeah, you will have to fight me for that tag, hee hee hee.

The same thing happened when I was married. About the only thing my Ex had to do was take care of the tab renewal. So one day I had the worst cold and was on my way to get some cold medicine. I got 3 blocks from house. $75 later (female cop - expensive medicine) I took over that job as well.

Your husband had a good excuse - mine didn't.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
The same thing happened when I was married. About the only thing my Ex had to do was take care of the tab renewal. So one day I had the worst cold and was on my way to get some cold medicine. I got 3 blocks from house. $75 later (female cop - expensive medicine) I took over that job as well.

Your husband had a good excuse - mine didn't.
Yes, hubby was devastated and so embarrassed. UMBRIA - the tag was months overdue not just 30 days or so . . . it was bad - and we found out our registration had been CANCELLED and no taxes had been paid! So we had to pay back taxes, too.

I can believe your female cop gave you a ticket!!! I have never gotten leniency from a female LE officer on anything. I think they feel they have to prove they are TOUGH or something.

Hubby was so mortified about it all . . . I think he was very grateful that I didn't fuss, lol. I called him and was in tears - I was so stressed when I realized the situation and that my car could have been towed and impounded and me stranded out of town (I was heading to our townhouse). I got the car inspected after I stopped in and paid the carpenter and then got so addled I forgot I was supposed to meet with the granite fabricator and pick out granite, delaying installation a week. Drove back to Charlotte in a sweat, worried I would get stopped again. Completely forgot my main mission of the trip. Can you believe that.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, hubby was devastated and so embarrassed. UMBRIA - the tag was months overdue not just 30 days or so . . . it was bad - and we found out our registration had been CANCELLED and no taxes had been paid! So we had to pay back taxes, too.

I can believe your female cop gave you a ticket!!! I have never gotten leniency from a female LE officer on anything. I think they feel they have to prove they are TOUGH or something.

Hubby was so mortified about it all . . . I think he was very grateful that I didn't fuss, lol. I called him and was in tears - I was so stressed when I realized the situation and that my car could have been towed and impounded and me stranded out of town (I was heading to our townhouse). I got the car inspected after I stopped in and paid the carpenter and then got so addled I forgot I was supposed to meet with the granite fabricator and pick out granite, delaying installation a week. Drove back to Charlotte in a sweat, worried I would get stopped again. Completely forgot my main mission of the trip. Can you believe that.
Actually I can believe it. That was that one thing too many that knock you off your orbit. Major stress when you feel you can be stopped at any time and this time maybe get your car impounded plus being out of town - that would be just bad.

You are so right about the female cops and I really hated that smirk "I got ya". I was sick as a dog and she was so proud of herself - never got my medicine because I couldn't risk getting stopped again.

Glad you got that resolved. For some reason it's those things (I was going to say little things but in your case it wasn't so little) that can really knock us off kilter.

See you all manyana~~~~

Old 08-22-2014, 03:52 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Umbria, don't they refund if you turn in the plates early?

I gagged at reupping DH's registration due at month end; 92 buckaroos for two years. I do believe they prorate it by months and refund you what you don't use. Yes, believe it or not, even in merciless cash strapped New York state.

Crikey, look at dat hail!!!!!!!!
Hate saying the word 'remember', but as I do remember, if you transfer the plates to another car, you get credit but if you turn them in, zilch.
Since I had to leave mine in Florida and took car of the annual inspection while we were here in the summer, it ran out. Of course, this was renewal year, which can't be done without a current inspection...which can't be done because the car ain't here.
So it now sits in Fl unregistered and I'd either have to drive it back up here with that status or drive it unregistered in Fl long enough to register it there.
That means insuring it in Fl, too, so two 'fingers crossed' trips at the least.
Hope I don't have to use that $92 on a ticket

Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 AM

5,428 posts, read 6,645,614 times
speaking of tags

suggest remember to notify your county tag office if you permanently leave the state for another. In some locations, the car tax bill continues to accrue until they are notified.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Actually I can believe it. That was that one thing too many that knock you off your orbit. Major stress when you feel you can be stopped at any time and this time maybe get your car impounded plus being out of town - that would be just bad.

You are so right about the female cops and I really hated that smirk "I got ya". I was sick as a dog and she was so proud of herself - never got my medicine because I couldn't risk getting stopped again.

Glad you got that resolved. For some reason it's those things (I was going to say little things but in your case it wasn't so little) that can really knock us off kilter.

See you all manyana~~~~
Yes, it was that one last thing . . . I felt things were so out of control . . . to be honest, I have hated even getting into the car to drive since then and I LOVE to drive!

It took about a week of calls and visits to license tag office and tax office, etc. to get things straightened out. I have driven that car 2 x since.

Long story, so I won't get into it, but I developed PTSD as a child and anxiety attacks that I didn't understand til the 80s. That is the first time I learned what an "anxiety attack" is much less that there is an actual diagnosis for trauma induced anxiety. Anyway, after all that was figured out, I understood my triggers (getting lost while driving was my biggie). I have been able to short-circuit any anxiety attacks once I learned why they occurred -- and successfully re-trained my responses. Well, sadly, it seems that this incident has triggered anxiety again in re: to driving, so I am working on that. I didn't put 2 and 2 together til the other day when I had to drive back to the townhouse -- and it hit me that I was feeling dizzy, shakey, heart palpitations -- and dreading driving. Now I am working on getting my head straight and separating what was an isolated incident (getting stopped by HP) from driving, in general. Lord have mercy. I can't believe how our brains can get wacked out so easily (or my brain, I guess, lol).

Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM

I sure hope you ladies are right and I can get some sort of refund. I will have to take the plates with me, of course, since I'm driving there and have (not sure of the time) 30 days to get a new license & plates.

I can turn them in there if needed or send them back. I will check with our DMV on it's policy.

Ani - I got to thinking last night and I don't know how you drove for so long without getting nabbed. You'd never make it here that long. No more anxiety over the car - you are now sufficiently tagged and don't have that to worry about.

old_cold - You know how they like to catch hardened criminals like yourself & me so I wouldn't drive it back to NY with expired plates.

Isn't life tough enough without dealing with this stuff?????????????

Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I sure hope you ladies are right and I can get some sort of refund. I will have to take the plates with me, of course, since I'm driving there and have (not sure of the time) 30 days to get a new license & plates.

I can turn them in there if needed or send them back. I will check with our DMV on it's policy.

Ani - I got to thinking last night and I don't know how you drove for so long without getting nabbed. You'd never make it here that long. No more anxiety over the car - you are now sufficiently tagged and don't have that to worry about.

old_cold - You know how they like to catch hardened criminals like yourself & me so I wouldn't drive it back to NY with expired plates.

Isn't life tough enough without dealing with this stuff?????????????
I was thinking about being so lucky, too. Typically, HP and local police are very aggressive about tags and registration. Heck, Meck county has a program that allows your car to be impounded from any location, including your front driveway or a parking lot at the mall, if you owe delinquent taxes!!! All a cop has to do is run a tag search and call the towing company, essentially!

But when I started checking mileage, I have not even driven that car but 600 miles since May of 2013 (when I had the oil changed). It had sat so long I had to jump off the battery to start it. However, I did drive it at least once after the tag had expired - from Charlotte to Boone and back. Both trips were at night. I guess the cover of darkness saved me, lololol.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 AM

And no, I wouldn't drive with expired tags. When I think what could have happened to me, stranded out of town . . . and my "out of town" was only an hour away from home. Gives me cold chills to think about it being a state or two or three away from home. <eeeeekkkk>

Old 08-22-2014, 07:33 PM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times
annifan- I have finally learned what classic NC thunderstorms are like. We just had one at the beach and have had several in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement