U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
annifan- I have finally learned what classic NC thunderstorms are like. We just had one at the beach and have had several in Raleigh.
Big ole rolling thunder boomers? Lots of lightning? At the beach - wind?

There is something awe-inspiring about a big storm!

You have now officially put down roots, TUBORG! Passed the crucible!!! :-)

Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Big ole rolling thunder boomers? Lots of lightning? At the beach - wind?

There is something awe-inspiring about a big storm!

You have now officially put down roots, TUBORG! Passed the crucible!!! :-)
As the weather radio noted a very large amount of cloud to ground lightning. I have a app for phones/tablets that shows clouds, storms with lighting strikes and it was off the charts. It was all you describe. They can be cool as they roll in until they reach you, than it can become time to head inside.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:55 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
The storms in FL are like that; they roll in and the thunder and lightning are incredible. I've never seen such beautiful sunrises or sunsets before and after storms though.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:55 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
As the weather radio noted a very large amount of cloud to ground lightning. I have a app for phones/tablets that shows clouds, storms with lighting strikes and it was off the charts. It was all you describe. They can be cool as they roll in until they reach you, than it can become time to head inside.
Folks often don't realize how much lightning we get in this State! NC consistently ranks amongst the top 3 states for lightning strikes. It is scary how many people get hit by lightning while outside - and often, on golf courses!!!

As far as fatalities, this article says NC is 6th when examining data over the last 8 or so years.

http://cimmse.wordpress.com/2014/06/...orth-carolina/

Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,208,052 times
Having lived in NorCal for so many years without thunder & lightning storms I was kind of excited to find that we had lots of them here in the blue ridge mountains. That changed when I found that I had several dogs with mild to severe thunder phobia.

Frannie, whos name came from first being called Miss Frantic, had the worst case of it. She had severe separation anxiety and was on clomiprimine (Clomacalm) all the time and when storms would roll in she had a thunder shirt, benedryl and rescue remedy to no avail. I even tried hiding in the walk in closet with her, where all the clothes helped to muffle the sound a little bit but nothing really did the trick. Several times she was literally "scared ****less" and lost control of her bowels while trying to hide under my desk. I felt so bad that there was nothing I could do to alleviate her stress and fear. The only thing I could do was try to plan on being home with her when bad storms were predicted so I learned to get outside errands done in the morning since most storms arise in the afternoon when the heat of the day brings on the conditions that cause the storms. She was my early storm warning since she would often start to shake and drool an hour before the first signs were even on the radar screen of the weather website.

On the other hand Calypso, who is afraid of many things, is not the least bit intimidated by the barking of that big dog in the sky and she barks right back at it. Go figure.

I do love to sit on the covered back porch and watch the show now that I don't have to try and comfort Frannie.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The storms in FL are like that; they roll in and the thunder and lightning are incredible. I've never seen such beautiful sunrises or sunsets before and after storms though.
It is great anywhere enjoy them

Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM

Our late Boxer was afraid of thunder storms. What's cool is watching the weather radar and seeing storms as they try to roll NE from Annifan to me. Sometimes they make and sometimes they don't. Other times they are scattered and just pop up

Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,298,566 times
I have a terror of thunder storms, stemming from childhood. The part of the state that I live in now only gets about two of them a year.

The summer afternoon storms in Florida are beyond scary to me--I could never live there.

Poor doggies. Mine gets the shakes and comes over and snuggles at the sound of fireworks. What about some kind of earmuffs? Those boomers must sound really loud to dogs with their sensitive hearing.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 AM

Most of our dogs had no love for storms. I wonder how many transplants factored in storms when deciding locations to consider.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Had hoped for some beach time about 3 when the sun wasn't as bad but the topic at hand is starting to roar again. One of the nearby beaches that I believe some of you have been to is getting it pretty good and we can hear thunder. Is our time approaching. I believe some of you have been to Oak Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement