U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Nope, sorry Tuborg.

ON THIS DAY

On Aug. 26, 1920, the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, guaranteeing women the right to vote, was declared in effect.

Happy Anniversary, ladies!

Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 AM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Nope, sorry Tuborg.

ON THIS DAY

On Aug. 26, 1920, the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, guaranteeing women the right to vote, was declared in effect.

Happy Anniversary, ladies!

94 years later it seems preposterous that anyone - anyone - would be against the right of women to vote.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM

My, how we have evolved..........and then we look at the Ferguson or Syria or ISIS situation and we wonder, have we evolved?????? So sad. Too bad they can't put Love thy Neighbor out to a vote.

I am now accepting any and all of your secret cold remedies, please post

Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
My, how we have evolved..........and then we look at the Ferguson or Syria or ISIS situation and we wonder, have we evolved?????? So sad. Too bad they can't put Love thy Neighbor out to a vote.

Steam with Vick's vapor rub!

Cayenne pepper - spicy Indian food!

Lime sherbet with Ginger Ale. Okay. Not a remedy. Just tastes good when I don't really feel like eating!!!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:20 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:

Alka Seltzer Cold Medicine - wonder drug. A co-worker told me about it once and I was shocked at how fast it works. If you don't like the fizz just drink it fast.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM

Oh, Umb, I forgot about that, it was my dad's go to. Thanks. I love the fizz BTW!

Oh, Ani, that lime sherbert with ginger ale sounds divine.

I read an article where they have found eating does help a cold. Protein.

My dollar store meds actually work pretty well. Okay, I'm cheap!

I'm on day six. They say three days to incubate, three to suffer, then three to taper off. Honestly, I can't ever remember getting over a cold that fast, they seem to hang on for weeks.

At least today my nose isn't running water like a faucet. My throat is sore and I have a cough, ick.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:

My dollar store meds actually work pretty well. Okay, I'm cheap!
I also think the dollar store items are pretty good, certainly their versions of aspirin, tylenol, and ibuprofen. I also buy soap and moisturizer in dollar stores.

The important part of overcoming a cold is plenty of rest. Don't feel guilty about napping a lot.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yesterday as I was arriving home and driving into my driveway, a young couple (not looking terribly on the up and up) was just coming away from ringing the next door doorbell (no one home) and saw me driving in. They came toward my car with papers in their hand. I didn't like the look of them so I stayed in my car and locked it and rolled down the window partway and said can I help you. They kept advancing toward my car (I was nervous, b/c no one lives across the street or behind me and my neighbors work during the day). I had the sudden thought they were evangelists so as they began to ask for a "minute" I replied that I belong to a church, thanks very much anyway, not interested. The guy protested that it wasn't about church it was about scholarships (hmmn....they didn't look too much like the academic set). I replied no thanks, politely. They reluctantly walked away muttering.

I waited till they went on to the next house and then got out of my car to go in the house when the young guy hurled back over his shoulder, "Have a bad day at work, hon?" I was so pissed I stupidly replied "No, retired." Dumb!!!

I noticed no car parked on the street. I came in and locked the door (we've never locked doors here in the daytime, but now that will change).

We've had other people going door to door, supposed antique collectors and of course the evangelists you can't get rid of, but this seemed different b/c their reason seemed bogus, underscored by the surly insult.

It could've been an isolated legit incident, or a scam. Either way, would you report this to the PD?
I don't want to post the link b/c it's a really graphic report, but did anyone else see the news item today about the Westchester Philharmonic violinist (a 61-year-old woman) brutally murdered in her rural summer home (motive: robbery). "A man, a stranger, is on her porch asking for help. He has run out of gas, he says. He needs to use a phone..."

In my incident, above, I was alone (no one else home, no surrounding neighbors home) when these two somewhat aggressively came toward me in my driveway.

For heavens sake folks, don't answer your door when home alone. Maybe don't answer your door, period.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
94 years later it seems preposterous that anyone - anyone - would be against the right of women to vote.

There are known strategies to keep economically poor people, men and women, from voting.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are known strategies to keep economically poor people, men and women, from voting.
And what are these strategies, pray tell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement