U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I love our chat thread, lolololol.

Anyone doing anything special over the weekend (Labor Day?)
Where did my summer go?????????????????????????

I don't think I have evr had a summer go by so fast. An old friend will be in toen from Chicago so we will get together. Besides that - more of the same.

How about you? Anything up?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Wasp spray shoots up to fifteen feet........
Quote:
Yes! Great deterrent! I bought two cans - one for the car and one I keep on my desk!
I have some because earlier this month I had a growing hornet's nest right under the eaves of my porch. It worked and the nest (and the hornets) are gone. However I don't go walking around with my can of hornet/wasp spray.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Where did my summer go?????????????????????????

I don't think I have evr had a summer go by so fast. An old friend will be in toen from Chicago so we will get together. Besides that - more of the same.

How about you? Anything up?
Trying to get things off my desk (making headway) and bags packed (haven't even started) so I can spend the weekend in the mountains. Just don't know if I am going to get it all pulled together.

A dear friend's husband died yesterday so trying to figure out logistics with a funeral, as well.

So . . .not sure how this is all going to end up. Regardless, I plan to enjoy every last day of summer that I can! It went waaaaay too fast this year. Summer slipped through my fingers while I was taking care of other things. I feel like it should be May! Before we know it, Thanksgiving will be here.

And then we will be complaining about all the ice and snow, lol.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Summer was laaaaaaaaaaate, remember? At least here it was. If you can even call it summer, it's been so cool. Lows in the forties here tonight.

Condolences to you and your friens, ani.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:

So . . .not sure how this is all going to end up. Regardless, I plan to enjoy every last day of summer that I can! It went waaaaay too fast this year. Summer slipped through my fingers while I was taking care of other things. I feel like it should be May! Before we know it, Thanksgiving will be here.

Doesn't it seem like the older one gets, the faster time flies by?

I mean, I remember when I was 5 years old I begged my Mom to buy me a toy advertised in a comic book. The ad said "allow 4 - 6 weeks for delivery." My Mom agreed and mailed out a check for the toy. The next day I asked if the toy arrived. My Mom said no, you have to be patient it will take 4 - 6 weeks. The next day after that I asked if the toy arrived ... and the next day after that. 4 - 6 weeks seemed like an eternity! By the following week, I had forgotten about it. When the toy finally arrived I forgot we ever ordered it!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:

A dear friend's husband died yesterday so trying to figure out logistics with a funeral, as well.
So sorry to hear this bad news. A few years ago it seemed like I was going to a funeral every couple of months.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:52 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Trying to get things off my desk (making headway) and bags packed (haven't even started) so I can spend the weekend in the mountains. Just don't know if I am going to get it all pulled together.

And then we will be complaining about all the ice and snow, lol.
Oh Ani, considering just how tough things have been for you lately it seems like you should be entitled to some good/nice things, not more sadness and stress.

Maybe autumn will be slow to get here and then linger long so that the ice and snow season starts late and then leaves early next year.

I love my dogs but this morning Zack it being a pain. We got up about 7 and I let them out for a good while.
They got breakfast about 8 and again went out for a bit. After coming in Zack headed for the bedroom and stood at the foot of the steps and barked for me to come help him up. He gets his front feet up the first two steps and then I have to give one back leg just the tiniest nudge to get him to lift that foot up on to the bottom step while the front legs step on to the bed. He is capable of doing this all by himself but no, he has to stand there and bark for me to come help him. He was up there no more than 5 minutes when he again started to bark. He wanted to get down, which he can do by himself but I have to be there, in the room with him. I don't even need to touch him for the downward journey. He needed a third trip of the morning outside. Then standing at the back door again with the barking to be let in. At least when he barks it is just 2 woofs and he stops and waits. If no response he again lets out just 2 woofs, so a small thing to be thankful for.

I let him in and we went through the getting up on the bed routine. He's being quiet for now but in an hour or so he'll be feeling lonely and want me to come help him down so he can be closer to me (I guess). If I were to chose to spend time in the bedroom reading in my easy chair he would stay in bed and sleep.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Summer was laaaaaaaaaaate, remember? At least here it was. If you can even call it summer, it's been so cool. Lows in the forties here tonight.

Condolences to you and your friens, ani.
Yes, and that makes me even sadder about not being outside more - the weather (until the last 2 1/2 weeks) has been cooler than usual and not as much humidity. And I missed out.

Thank you for thinking of my friend. Her hubby had been dealing with cancer for several years. He was not even old enough to draw Social Security. That's just too young to die.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Doesn't it seem like the older one gets, the faster time flies by?

I mean, I remember when I was 5 years old I begged my Mom to buy me a toy advertised in a comic book. The ad said "allow 4 - 6 weeks for delivery." My Mom agreed and mailed out a check for the toy. The next day I asked if the toy arrived. My Mom said no, you have to be patient it will take 4 - 6 weeks. The next day after that I asked if the toy arrived ... and the next day after that. 4 - 6 weeks seemed like an eternity! By the following week, I had forgotten about it. When the toy finally arrived I forgot we ever ordered it!
It is shocking to me that the last 20 years went so much faster than the earlier 20 years (and they seemed to go too quickly, too!) And I am told the next 20 years will go even faster. You would think that once you retire (not quite there yet myself, but definitely have scaled back) -- things would go slower. I don't understand how my sense of time has changed so much. I feel "behind" on everything. Heck, the reason I feel behind is because - I AM! lololol

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Oh Ani, considering just how tough things have been for you lately it seems like you should be entitled to some good/nice things, not more sadness and stress.

Maybe autumn will be slow to get here and then linger long so that the ice and snow season starts late and then leaves early next year.

I love my dogs but this morning Zack it being a pain. We got up about 7 and I let them out for a good while.
They got breakfast about 8 and again went out for a bit. After coming in Zack headed for the bedroom and stood at the foot of the steps and barked for me to come help him up. He gets his front feet up the first two steps and then I have to give one back leg just the tiniest nudge to get him to lift that foot up on to the bottom step while the front legs step on to the bed. He is capable of doing this all by himself but no, he has to stand there and bark for me to come help him. He was up there no more than 5 minutes when he again started to bark. He wanted to get down, which he can do by himself but I have to be there, in the room with him. I don't even need to touch him for the downward journey. He needed a third trip of the morning outside. Then standing at the back door again with the barking to be let in. At least when he barks it is just 2 woofs and he stops and waits. If no response he again lets out just 2 woofs, so a small thing to be thankful for.

I let him in and we went through the getting up on the bed routine. He's being quiet for now but in an hour or so he'll be feeling lonely and want me to come help him down so he can be closer to me (I guess). If I were to chose to spend time in the bedroom reading in my easy chair he would stay in bed and sleep.
Our furkids!!! My sweet old girl has not recovered from the last surgery. She had not recovered from her surgery before Christmas, really and then major surgery again 6 months later. She just isn't the same girl. Very nervous. Plus her arthritis is getting so bad. She will be 12 in December.

Since her surgery, she has had problems holding her urine and that upsets her terribly. So I have pee pads all over the place. She gets very stressed about it but at least she knows she can run to the pads now. But she seems so defeated and embarrassed - she lowers her head and whimpers sometimes and I try to reassure her that it is fine - we will get through.

On another note - I have thought a lot during the last 10 years about "happiness." And I have come to the conclusion that we are about as happy as we decide to be. I have learned to find satisfaction in the small things - a job done well, for instance - or a beautiful sunset - or a well prepared meal. And it makes me immensely happy to see hubby less engaged with an internal battle of perfectionism. He is learning to just row with the flow, stop with pushing himself and everyone else to meet some level of impossible perfection. This was a life lesson he needed to learn and he is learning! Seeing him more relaxed and taking things one day at a time has been very uplifting.

I do think my life will settle down SOON. It has been a tumultuous period but life is like that. I just want to be sitting on the deck at the mountain house, drinking my cup of coffee, listening to the birds and the wind through the trees, with my husband and son nearby. Oh, and I want to get a djembe drum. LOLOLOL Actually, I want 2 - one for my son and one for me - so we can sit out in the evenings and drum together. I haven't told my son about this plan. Sure hope he is going to be as excited about it as I. If not, I will just drum by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement