U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 AM
 
10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Reputation: 17210

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, my HOA does not take to debris being left to "weather naturally." Homeowners are responsible for hiring someone to carry off the debris, which can be quite expensive.
Presumably others in your HOA are affected also, perhaps you can work together to minimize costs.

 
Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, here's one for ya. Not sure how I am going to handle this and it surely has not been a top priority.

Got a call from my electric utility company. A robo-call - to alert everyone that the company is working on cutting trees and bushes in a 15 ft. swath around all electrical lines. They said they are NOT carrying off limbs and debris - but rather leaving it to weather naturally.

Well, my HOA does not take to debris being left to "weather naturally." Homeowners are responsible for hiring someone to carry off the debris, which can be quite expensive.

I have been informed that the debris on my property will result in a daily fine and possibly, a lien on my property.

What would you do?

PS. This is an acre of land and nearly one whole side of the property has electrical lines on it and thus, limbs and debris.
When it rains it pours. If they cut it - they carry it.

Never heard of this - that they leave it to "weather". Pitch a fit and get your neighbors to pitch a fit too. This really does sound like they are testing to see if they can get away with this.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Reputation: 14875
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'd never heard Josh Groban, so looking him up on youtube. For this kind of music, what a fine voice.
2001, on Ally McBeal. Not often a song will make me cry.
Drove me nuts, I couldn't find the CD for weeks.
Ally McBeal - Josh Groban - You're still you - YouTube
 
Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Can you burn where you live? Our electric company did the same months ago and took down entire trees as well. They did put all the limbs into chippers and hauled the wood chips away or dumped piles on the property of those of us who wanted them for eventual mulch (after they weathered and cooled) but the trunks were left in large pieces and homeowners either disposed of them or our community POA (annual assessment $205) gathered and put them in a large, communal burn pile with the help of a number of homeowners and disposed of them.

Short of that I haven't a clue other than pay for disposal. Utilities strike again!
Nope. Can't burn. Heavily wooded, too.

I pay a premium for HOA but they consider any debris on my property as my problem. I guess I am going to have to discuss this with property management and see if we can kick it up to the Board level. It sure as heck is not right for a homeowner to be fined -- especially when many of the residents are part time.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Presumably others in your HOA are affected also, perhaps you can work together to minimize costs.
Yes, I will call the HOA president and see if he has any suggestions.

The only suggestion I have gotten thus far is to PAY property management to haul off the debris and their rates are eye-popping.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
When it rains it pours. If they cut it - they carry it.

Never heard of this - that they leave it to "weather". Pitch a fit and get your neighbors to pitch a fit too. This really does sound like they are testing to see if they can get away with this.
Well, the problem is . . . I am the modest home ($260K or so) amidst the million dollar homes. I was there first and I own more acreage than the other folks (more liability, lol). The wealthy folks around me will just pay whatever rates property management sticks them with to clean up.

$2000? meehhh - write out the check.

I am not in the position at this time to be so cavalier about my finances.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 12:31 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
I would try to do it myself but my shoulder is a mess and no way I can injure it further hauling limbs. It just isn't worth it.

I will figure out something. My son can't help - he is recovering from broken ribs and cartilege tears.

They won't let anyone on the property who isn't on the "approved vendors" list (and the list is made up by Board members who are also owners of controlling shares of stock in the resort, lol). In other words, they like it that we have to engage the services of Property Management b/c that generates revenue.

I can at least secure a delay (with fines) . . . until I can figure out something.
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:03 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Reputation: 14875
Quote:
Got a call from my electric utility company. A robo-call - to alert everyone that the company is working on cutting trees and bushes in a 15 ft. swath around all electrical lines. They said they are NOT carrying off limbs and debris - but rather leaving it to weather naturally.
Sue the Utility company for dumping illegally?
 
Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Reputation: 19463
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, here's one for ya. Not sure how I am going to handle this and it surely has not been a top priority.

Got a call from my electric utility company. A robo-call - to alert everyone that the company is working on cutting trees and bushes in a 15 ft. swath around all electrical lines. They said they are NOT carrying off limbs and debris - but rather leaving it to weather naturally.

Well, my HOA does not take to debris being left to "weather naturally." Homeowners are responsible for hiring someone to carry off the debris, which can be quite expensive.

I have been informed that the debris on my property will result in a daily fine and possibly, a lien on my property.

What would you do?

PS. This is an acre of land and nearly one whole side of the property has electrical lines on it and thus, limbs and debris.
That's the environmentally sound solution. Wood left on the ground wiill eventually be part of the soil. Before that happens it will provide nutrients that will help grow edible food crops. Removing the wood will definitely have deleterious effects on the area. Therefore, I suggest calling the EPA. See if you can find someone who does not wish to disturb a delicate ecosystem. You will. I suspect that you can at least delay these people and, perhaps, provide a future partner to aid them in their environmental management.

Your HOA enjoys making rules that can be costly to people. They are inflexible. So is the EPA. Try to give them a taste of their own medicine. Spend some time this weekend looking for wetlands in your subdivision. Remember, anything damp often qualifies. Try to remember any other actions they've taken in the past as well.

I can't imagine living under the rule of an HOA, but I have dealt with local governments (Colorado) which are functionally the same. I have used the EPA to cause trouble and expense for them. Even better, the EPA does all the work. Government fighting government.

http://water.epa.gov/type/wetlands/what.cfm
 
Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's the environmentally sound solution. Wood left on the ground wiill eventually be part of the soil. Before that happens it will provide nutrients that will help grow edible food crops. Removing the wood will definitely have deleterious effects on the area. Therefore, I suggest calling the EPA. See if you can find someone who does not wish to disturb a delicate ecosystem. You will. I suspect that you can at least delay these people and, perhaps, provide a future partner to aid them in their environmental management.

Your HOA enjoys making rules that can be costly to people. They are inflexible. So is the EPA. Try to give them a taste of their own medicine. Spend some time this weekend looking for wetlands in your subdivision. Remember, anything damp often qualifies. Try to remember any other actions they've taken in the past as well.

I can't imagine living under the rule of an HOA, but I have dealt with local governments (Colorado) which are functionally the same. I have used the EPA to cause trouble and expense for them. Even better, the EPA does all the work. Government fighting government.

What are Wetlands? | Wetlands | US EPA
Good points - and I agree about letting things naturally decay. I have a certified natural habitat on part of my land and no one complains about that (no one sees it). However, if anything is in line-of-sight from someone else's property - or from the street - then the problems start. They call it "visual pollution," lol.

Actually, I have endangered wildflowers on that section of the property. They are on NC's endangered wildflower list. I am positive about that.

When we bought our property (21 plus years ago) things were very different. The original owner sold out and things changed drastically, including HOA fees and all the "rules." I don't regret being here - our property is absolutely stunning - with native flora and fauna. And with not being there 24/7, being in a gated community is of high importance to us. The cost of living there has substantially increased (assessments! HOA that keep rising!) but we feel very secure there and that is part of what we are paying for - that security. When "my" bear gets too snoopy and won't leave my front door, I call the guard house and they come and encourage him to move on, for example. So even though we wish we didn't have such high HOA dues, we are appreciative of the services at this stage of our lives. It is a trade off!

But I don't feel I should be fined . . . and I sure as heck don't feel I should have to pay a bunch of money just b/c someone thinks the debris left behind from the utility company creates "visual pollution." I am still thinking through what I might want to discuss with the utility company, as well, as we are members of an electric co-op. I think for them to have unwittingly created a financial issue for me might be a worthy discussion and one to which other members might be receptive, as well. It is definitely a subject worth bringing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top