U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times

Advertisements

I like the firewood idea. Even the little twigs can be used as tinder and the wider limbs are firewood.

Hate HOAs. My parents had a mobile home in a park because they were snowbirds. Right after my Dad died, my Mom got a nastygram from management that there was mold or moss growing on the side of the mobile home.

Yeh, just what she needed right after the funeral and all. Nice timing, management. Turned out there was a little grayish area of mold--I got on a step ladder with a brush and some Clorox and it was gone in five minutes. But they had to make a stink about it at a time like that. They go around patrolling, nothing better to do. Power trip and no sensitivity to others' feelings.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I like the firewood idea. Even the little twigs can be used as tinder and the wider limbs are firewood.

Hate HOAs. My parents had a mobile home in a park because they were snowbirds. Right after my Dad died, my Mom got a nastygram from management that there was mold or moss growing on the side of the mobile home.

Yeh, just what she needed right after the funeral and all. Nice timing, management. Turned out there was a little grayish area of mold--I got on a step ladder with a brush and some Clorox and it was gone in five minutes. But they had to make a stink about it at a time like that. They go around patrolling, nothing better to do. Power trip and no sensitivity to others' feelings.
I do think in many neighborhoods there are people who are on a power trip.

I have been fortunate. I have always lived in HOA neighborhoods but they have basically been there just to make sure no one did anything too outrageous with building - adhering to covenants.

The folks I deal with at the mountain property are basically just trying to figure out ways to get revenue. They want homeowners to "buy" services from property mgt. so it will underwrite that department's expenses. I suspect they want it to show on the books as a profit center (I have never looked into this but that is my guess). Things are different here b/c it is a resort/golf community and governed by the board of directors who own all the stock in the company, not by the HOA. It is complicated.

I have friends in neighborhoods where they actually know people are going around taking photos of such things as the grass height, lol. Lord have mercy.

I try to fly under the radar as much as possible. What folks don't see isn't questioned, lol.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:35 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
You could rent a chipper, ask your sons buddies over for a pizza party reward.........?

If we had a HOA here it would probably look something like this........

Old 08-30-2014, 01:10 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Love it !!!!!

Old 08-30-2014, 01:18 PM

LOL Barb.

'Out here, I AM 9-1-1.' ~Phil Robertson

Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Wow Curm, the longest power outage six hours? Our record is about five days.
LOL! That's just in the five years since we bought our house. Two years before it was 10 days due to an ice storm. That's hotel time if we can get there. If not, we'll survive.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Went to the annual Garlic Festival for the first time today.
I did try a garlic cupcake but still couldn't bring myself to pay $4 for a taste of garlic ice cream because I was so sure I wouldn't like it.
Didn't like the cupcake either. It seemed like I took a bite of dessert in the middle of a garlicky dinner.
Being Vermont, there were also samples of maple bourbon or rye. That wasn't bad!
Many booths were selling 'just' garlic. I wasn't aware that there are so many different varieties.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:24 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Went to the annual Garlic Festival for the first time today.
I did try a garlic cupcake but still couldn't bring myself to pay $4 for a taste of garlic ice cream because I was so sure I wouldn't like it.
Didn't like the cupcake either. It seemed like I took a bite of dessert in the middle of a garlicky dinner.
Being Vermont, there were also samples of maple bourbon or rye. That wasn't bad!
Many booths were selling 'just' garlic. I wasn't aware that there are so many different varieties.
I can smell you from here

Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM

OMG old_cold, my BFF goes to it every year! Her DH grows killer garlic. They are near Schenectady.

EEK Curm, ten days? I don't want to pass that test. Gotta get that damn generator fixed

It's a great day on the ranch. DH got up to the shop to putter, first time in months. Tractors were started, mower deck belts replaced, lawn mowed (that's me), backhoe fired right up and manure pile neatened, plow truck fired right up. A day to celebrate. Amen!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thought some of us would find this interesting, since we recently discussed how quickly time seems to pass at this stage of life.

From Psychology Today:

According to this “Habituation Hypothesis,” the older we get, the less there is that feels truly new.
I think artistic/creative folks, historians, and scientists/experimenters would find exception to this, because there is always something new and exciting in our world. Same for those who find new ways of doing regular things, like mending a fence or baking a loaf of bread. There's always something new to be found if we remain mindful of the moment and open to new ways of seeing things. I'm always surprised when someone seems stymied at finding a solution to a problem instead of opening up to unusual possibilities and seeing things from another angle. It's also a way to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement