U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 07:35 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times

Advertisements

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull....... Where is that darn Ark anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,205,973 times
Random funny thought early this morning while waiting for the coffee to brew:

I was checking email and had one from a company that I buy dog supply stuff from. They were offering some sort of game/toy for keeping your dogs brain active/sharp and I wondered "what if I got it and could not figure out how to set it up for the dogs to use?"

After a few sips of that morning nectar I decided that the dogs would not be interested and so there was no need for me to test my abilities.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,759,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Random funny thought early this morning while waiting for the coffee to brew:

I was checking email and had one from a company that I buy dog supply stuff from. They were offering some sort of game/toy for keeping your dogs brain active/sharp and I wondered "what if I got it and could not figure out how to set it up for the dogs to use?"

After a few sips of that morning nectar I decided that the dogs would not be interested and so there was no need for me to test my abilities.
Sounds like me and smart phones. We have one that we may use when traveling since it doesn't require Wi-Fi but for everyday usage I carry a flip phone with very minor data capability. As bizarre as it may sound I generally only use it to call, out and receive calls. I long ago decided that the smart phone was smarter than I am! Even worse, I use an actual camera to take pictures and have never, ever taken a "selfie."

Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
I used my phone for pics last night. I wish I thought to bring the camera, but the phone is always with me.

We took our last sail for the season and had dinner on the river. It was the perfect sail, a west wind which meant we could sail straight up the river with no tacking. It was a surprisingly stronger wind than we thought and we were up to a bridge four miles away in no time. The sun sets at 7:30 now, so we came in after dark.

The boat gets hauled out today after DH is done with work. He has some maintenance he wants to get done and then he'll winterize it and put the cover on before we leave.

Our boat is kept in a working boat club on the Hudson, DH puts in so many work hours a year. Great camaraderie among members and a nice place to be.

The bridge we sailed under. It's 180 feet from bridge to river and the currents around those pilons are wicked!

Coming home, the moon was sparkling on the water and the wind had died down so we were motor sailing.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-04-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Oh, my, jean, is that the Tappan Zee or Newburgh bridge?

It always amazes me how wide the Hudson is downstate, up here you can walk across it in some places.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
It's the Newburgh-Beacon bridge, which is more than two miles across. It's amazing how wide the Hudson is, even more so by the Tappan Zee. It's around 50 feet deep in our area. Two miles south of us, around West Point, the river narrows and there is area called World's End where the depth is 180 feet. Many people don't realize the Hudson is a tidal river, actually an estuary, and it's a mix of salt and fresh water almost to Poughkeepsie. The tides are three feet where we are, and with that and the wind shifts around the curves and mountains, it makes for interesting sailing. I love the Hudson.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-04-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sounds like me and smart phones. We have one that we may use when traveling since it doesn't require Wi-Fi but for everyday usage I carry a flip phone with very minor data capability. As bizarre as it may sound I generally only use it to call, out and receive calls. I long ago decided that the smart phone was smarter than I am! Even worse, I use an actual camera to take pictures and have never, ever taken a "selfie."
I have a basic cell phone; I've had this one for five years. Unless I'm traveling I may not use it for months at a time. It's part of my vehicle survival kit. I have received text messages from Verizon, but I've never had the need to send one. If I ever need to send a list or a part # I'll learn how to do it. I have no idea whether my phone has data capability. If I go out of town I can find a computer.

I bought my first digital camera about a year ago, but I'd rather use film. I miss Technical Pan and Polaroid Positive/Negative although I understand that a European company is planning to produce something like the latter. I do like view cameras with their wonderful movements. I have a Graphic view camera with a Graflok back so I can use a 120 adapter or Polaroid back with their astounding P/N film.

I've used a self-timer combined with an air release for years, but I have never taken a ''selfie'' as currently understood. I know how to use map and compass as well as a sextant. In a pinch, I can determine latitude with a coat hanger. I have no GPS except in the digital camera which in all fairness takes good pictures.

I know how to use a slide rule, read a Vernier scale, and understand the need to set a compass for declination. A long slide rule is just as accurate as an electronic calculator.

There is one portable device that I wouldn't be without: my Kindle Paperwhite. I've had a Kindle since Amazon introduced it; it's wonderful.

I have an eclectic approach to technology whether at home, in a vehicle, or in the wilderness.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Yes, jean, that's a nice area. In the summer. I knew about the tidal thing. Our neighbor has a boat in Poughkeepsie.

Wow, HiW, if Google maps ever crashes I want you on the team. My Dad did use his sextant on his boat.

Flip phone for now. Only use it 2X a month. I suppose that will change in FL.

WHT DirecTV channel 367 the Roy Rogers Show and the Lone Ranger are on at 4, CYA L8er

Old 09-04-2014, 03:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
It's the Newburgh-Beacon bridge, which is more than two miles across. It's amazing how wide the Hudson is, even more so by the Tappan Zee. It's around 50 feet deep in our area. Two miles south of us, around West Point, the river narrows and there is area called World's End where the depth is 180 feet. Many people don't realize the Hudson is a tidal river, actually an estuary, and it's a mix of salt and fresh water almost to Poughkeepsie. The tides are three feet where we are, and with that and the wind shifts around the curves and mountains, it makes for interesting sailing. I love the Hudson.
Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful photos! I could feel the wind! Haven't been to that part of the country for over a decade and your photos remind me how much I enjoyed my last trip there.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,928,294 times
Default Standing up for people who live in retirement communities:

I just took on an arrogant poster who wrote that she lives in the "real world", in contrast to people who live in retirement communities. Although I do not live in one and have no desire to, I don't see why a retirement community is any less real than my own living situation. There are all sorts of living situations, and not all retirement communities are even the same. Heaven help me if I ever mistake my own personal preference concerning retirement communities for moral superiority. (Yes, there are lots of undeniable implications in that simple "real world" comment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement