U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 AM

30,037 posts, read 35,229,823 times

Advertisements

Once again I manage to come to nova just in time for crappy weather

Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,074,335 times
A very frigid front moved in yesterday - the windchill makes it downright miserable outside...I think the high today is 27 and even lower tomorrow but the daffodils are starting to come up because we have had quite a few 50+ degree days.

We are venturing out today, running errands and taking a country drive....it is sunny and cloudless so at least it isn't dreary....this So. California girl hates dreary.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Once again I manage to come to nova just in time for crappy weather
Are you the one responsible for this???? OK, change of plans--you stay in NC and I'll come visit you!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 AM

8,322 posts, read 12,075,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
A very frigid front moved in yesterday - the windchill makes it downright miserable outside...I think the high today is 27 and even lower tomorrow but the daffodils are starting to come up because we have had quite a few 50+ degree days.
77 at 10am here in Miami Beach.

I'm looking out my wall of windows at people frollicking on the beach and in the ocean, while also watching the Inauguration on tv and seeing everyone from my former hometown bundled up in coats, gloves, hats and scarves.

Ahhhh, retirement is grand, ain't it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
77 at 10am here in Miami Beach.

I'm looking out my wall of windows at people frollicking on the beach and in the ocean, while also watching the Inauguration on tv and seeing everyone from my former hometown bundled up in coats, gloves, hats and scarves.

Ahhhh, retirement is grand, ain't it.
It really is. We have both been posting in here before and during the process. Our paths have been similar. The greatest similarity is that we were both transplanted within 24 hours of retirement. We both jumped in and starting splashing day one.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Hubby has the flu and is very ill. I don't really know how to gauge his respiratory distress level. I stayed up overnight monitoring him. His fever broke, which is a good sign. He has congestive heart failure so fluid in his lungs is a big concern and he definitely has bronchitis, but it is productive (his cough) and although his breathing is somewhat labored (and he is moaning, wh/ is disconcerting but not that unusual for him) his breathing is rhythmic. I am so stressed not knowing at what point things are getting close to critical. I injured my shoulder (again) at Christmas when he put his full weight on my shoulder when he was unsteady. So no way I could possibly help him get to the car. I would need to call an ambulance and I don't want to over react and have him sitting in the ER when it wasn't necessary.

Nearly lost him in 2009 so I know what actual end stage heart failure looks like, but I don't know at what point he is in distress to the degree that I need to take action. In 2011, his physician insisted we get him to ER and turns out it was unnecessary and the trip fatigued him terribly and contributed to a longer recovery.

So I am feeling really alone and incompetent right now. The good thing is -- we are only minutes from an ER (wh/ is one reason we have decided not to move from this house). The bad thing is--I am fighting something--cough, aching and low grade fever and I am really concerned about my ability to managed his health if mine goes down more in the next 24 hrs.

I know there is nothing any of you can do about my situation -- but any insight from others dealing with "when to call the ambulance" is appreciated. Of course I have had some medical training and have read hundreds of articles and books--but personal insight is so much more helpful than abstract guidelines.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hubby has the flu and is very ill. I don't really know how to gauge his respiratory distress level. I stayed up overnight monitoring him. His fever broke, which is a good sign. He has congestive heart failure so fluid in his lungs is a big concern and he definitely has bronchitis, but it is productive (his cough) and although his breathing is somewhat labored (and he is moaning, wh/ is disconcerting but not that unusual for him) his breathing is rhythmic. I am so stressed not knowing at what point things are getting close to critical. I injured my shoulder (again) at Christmas when he put his full weight on my shoulder when he was unsteady. So no way I could possibly help him get to the car. I would need to call an ambulance and I don't want to over react and have him sitting in the ER when it wasn't necessary.

Nearly lost him in 2009 so I know what actual end stage heart failure looks like, but I don't know at what point he is in distress to the degree that I need to take action. In 2011, his physician insisted we get him to ER and turns out it was unnecessary and the trip fatigued him terribly and contributed to a longer recovery.

So I am feeling really alone and incompetent right now. The good thing is -- we are only minutes from an ER (wh/ is one reason we have decided not to move from this house). The bad thing is--I am fighting something--cough, aching and low grade fever and I am really concerned about my ability to managed his health if mine goes down more in the next 24 hrs.

I know there is nothing any of you can do about my situation -- but any insight from others dealing with "when to call the ambulance" is appreciated. Of course I have had some medical training and have read hundreds of articles and books--but personal insight is so much more helpful than abstract guidelines.
I had a medical allergic reaction and had my wife drive me to the hospital. They told me that was dumb and to call an ambulance and be sure. We had to call for our grand daughter one time we were babysitting. They didn't transport but told us we did the right thing. It is better to have called and not needed than regretting not calling.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Ani-

I have no medical training but based on what you have said:

he has conjestive heart failure and now possibly the flu also
you sound like you may be getting this flu
people are dying from the flu

I don't think you should wait much longer to get him to the ER. He is already in a weakened state and you may continue to weaken yourself with the worry/no sleep. You could also get the Tamiflu (?) while you are there with him.

Better safe than sorry. Wish I was there to help you.

Wish you the best.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Ani, I wish I knew what to say, but even though everything I can think of sounds dumb when I try to write it down, I did want you to know your friends are sending warm wishes your way. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Hope you and hubby feel better soon.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I had a medical allergic reaction and had my wife drive me to the hospital. They told me that was dumb and to call an ambulance and be sure. We had to call for our grand daughter one time we were babysitting. They didn't transport but told us we did the right thing. It is better to have called and not needed than regretting not calling.
I agree with the better safe than sorry approach. The moment I feel we need an ambulance, I won't hesitate. Your post reminds me that EMT would also be able to assess the situation upon arriving here.

Thank you for reinforcing that I should do what I feel is best, even if hubby protests (and he will).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement