U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 01:20 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Too cute, Jean_ji!!!!!!!! Salty kisses!

negirl, they might be out of the garden tools, our TSC is already setting up the Carhartt winter clothing display. :{

We're back from town, shopping and chiropractor. Looking forward to a nice quiet weekend on the ranch. Looking forward to warmer temps in the seventies.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Looking forward to warmer temps in the seventies.
This just made me snort, LOL!

I'm looking forward to cooler temps in the nineties

Old 09-19-2014, 02:23 PM

Ugh, it's been such a cool summer, we've had maybe four days over ninety. Last year we had almost two month of hot, humid Florida like summer; I so loved that..........

Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Ugh, it's been such a cool summer, we've had maybe four days over ninety. Last year we had almost two month of hot, humid Florida like summer; I so loved that..........
I loved this nice cool summer. Every day was beautiful. But now I'm having a problem with it getting cold again so soon. With the horrible hot, humid summers we usually have I'm glad when it's over and looking forward to cool weather. Not so this year though. Get ready for frost up your way.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
The year has sped by. I feel I have accomplished so little I had envisioned for this year. Hopefully, things will fall in place soon. The good thing is: hubby has recovered well from his surgery. He was told it will take a year and I can believe that. His "cardiac numbers" are not that much better than before surgery but he does feel better. So that is the bottom line and that is what his docs reiterated to him this week.

And if he needs a transplant in the future, there is always that option.

So Autumnal Equinox is on the 23rd and I measure my life with the equinox/solstice. Can't believe the time has flown - I was just celebrating the solstice . . .

We watched what we considered a delightful little movie last night and thought others may enjoy it, especially anyone dealing with the changes that come with retirement. "Le Weekend" - love Broadbent, so this was a fun evening movie.

Le Week-End - Rotten Tomatoes

Old 09-20-2014, 07:59 AM

Ugh, I dread the solstice, winter cometh......waaaaaaaaaaah

ani, I feel for you; it's been a tough ride with your DH this year.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Ugh, I dread the solstice, winter cometh......waaaaaaaaaaah

ani, I feel for you; it's been a tough ride with your DH this year.
To be honest, CCc . . . I have been going through some soul searching about myself and my needs (mind, body, spirit) in the last month.

It is time to reassess and decide how I am going to move forward with my own interests. I was sad when I didn't follow through with the gerontology MA, but it was the right decision (classes started in August and I am so exhausted - just don't think I would have been totally engaged). Plus, with not being settled in the new home, things are so up in the air with my schedule on a daily basis. But I do feel sad about having to put it on the back burner.

So . . . I am spending more time with Reiki and learning more about healing crystals, as well--and have been dabbling a bit in aromatherapy (that is a pursuit I began in the 90s but have not spent much time with in the last 8 or so years). Those things will be part of how I spend my time this winter and that has felt good - just planning (while also trying to figure out how to use these modalities to help myself get realigned and in a good place with my own energy and health).

I am planning on an interesting Winter! But it is sad that this year has gone so fast.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:03 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

So . . . I am spending more time with Reiki and learning more about healing crystals, as well--and have been dabbling a bit in aromatherapy (that is a pursuit I began in the 90s but have not spent much time with in the last 8 or so years).
Years ago when I was enrolled in the Gemological Institute of America I had to take a required course on the spiritual aspects and attributes of gemstones. The GIA - which has developed the world-wide standards of grading and appraising diamonds and precious stones - issued a disclaimer that the student isn't required to accept or believe these spiritual attributes, but must know them nonetheless because others do accept them. Throughout world history certain minerals, stones, crystals and gems have been credited with having certain powers.

The concept of the "birthstone" goes way back to the ancient Israelites, as their priests wore a piece of jewelry called a breastplate that was studded with twelve gemstones that represented the twelve tribes of Israel. The Chinese and other peoples of East Asia believe the mineral jade has healing powers and promotes good karma and prosperity.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:01 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Years ago when I was enrolled in the Gemological Institute of America I had to take a required course on the spiritual aspects and attributes of gemstones. The GIA - which has developed the world-wide standards of grading and appraising diamonds and precious stones - issued a disclaimer that the student isn't required to accept or believe these spiritual attributes, but must know them nonetheless because others do accept them. Throughout world history certain minerals, stones, crystals and gems have been credited with having certain powers.

The concept of the "birthstone" goes way back to the ancient Israelites, as their priests wore a piece of jewelry called a breastplate that was studded with twelve gemstones that represented the twelve tribes of Israel. The Chinese and other peoples of East Asia believe the mineral jade has healing powers and promotes good karma and prosperity.
Ani and Clark, that is so interesting.

Reiki does work. I had it and could feel the difference afterwards. I don't know why it works, but it does something. That I am sure of. Crystal healing always seemed like fantasy to me so to be reminded that throughout history this form of healing has been used, is an eye opener, something I'd like to read more about!

It's great to remain involved in your old pursuits and interests. It does you good and can keep you going with a passion for life and learning.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Ani, lay some of that Reiki on me, please.....still suffering this cold thingy...

I wish I had known about your passion, I would have sent you all of my crystas, gave 'em away due to the upcoming move.

Fascinating about the birthstones, Clark. Thank you.

Off to Google the tribes of Israel......... when DH and I were dating and I told her he wa Irish she blurted out, 'It's said that the Irish were one of the lost tribes of Israel.' Cracked me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement