U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 04:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The concept of the "birthstone" goes way back to the ancient Israelites, as their priests wore a piece of jewelry called a breastplate that was studded with twelve gemstones that represented the twelve tribes of Israel. The Chinese and other peoples of East Asia believe the mineral jade has healing powers and promotes good karma and prosperity.
I've never in my life seen such a display of precious and dazzling gemstones as on the altar in Saint Mark's Basilica in Venice. Just amazing.

Can you recommend a good guide (book)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,475,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've never in my life seen such a display of precious and dazzling gemstones as on the altar in Saint Mark's Basilica in Venice. Just amazing.

There are so many, I wouldn't know where to begin.

One of my all time favorite books on gems is The Color Encyclopedia Of Gemstones by Joel Arem. It's gone through at least three editions since it was first published in 1977, I believe it is still in print.

Two good places to look at fabulous collections of gems and jewelry are #1) The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC (where the Hope Diamond resides) and #2) The American Museum Of Natural History in NYC on Central Park West.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:58 PM

9,658 posts, read 11,112,102 times
Quote:

This is my favorite; it's very complete with outstanding illustrations. There have apparently been problems with the fifth edition so I'll give you a link to the fourth edition which I have.

http://smile.amazon.com/Gemstones-Wo...dp_ob_title_bk

Old 09-24-2014, 08:35 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,420,386 times
negirl, the best ones I ever had were the cheapest. I had a Vicks one that lasted for years. The secret to no mold is a teaspoon of bleach at every fill up.

Darn, I had two, one brand new that I just donated. *Sigh*

Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:
I should post this in some other forum but knowing folks on here I respect your opinions...

I've spent part of the day reading reviews for portable cool-mist humidifiers and can find nothing that gets consistently good reviews (under $200). Many have mold/bacteria problems and filling problems, or the nightlight is too bright, or it dies after 3 years, etc.

Can anyone here please recommend one in this price range, a tried-and-true?
(heating season is approaching!)

Thank you!
I have several but without getting up to see the brands, I can only remember one: a Hunter Ultrasonic. But it has a blue light. I love that light, lol.

I just run some white vinegar through mine every so often -- I have never seen any mold and I check all of mine regularly.

The Hunter is the smallest of the ones I own and it's only drawback is frequent fill ups.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There are so many, I wouldn't know where to begin.

One of my all time favorite books on gems is The Color Encyclopedia Of Gemstones by Joel Arem. It's gone through at least three editions since it was first published in 1977, I believe it is still in print.

Two good places to look at fabulous collections of gems and jewelry are #1) The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC (where the Hope Diamond resides) and #2) The American Museum Of Natural History in NYC on Central Park West.
Thanks all, for your responses to gems and humidifiers!

Old 09-24-2014, 01:15 PM

negirl, my current one is a Holmes, it's super quiet. Garage sale, two bucks.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 AM

Well, hubby has seemed to be backsliding on his overall health the last month. And in the last 10 days, it has become very apparent, so back to Duke . . . and the news was disappointing. He has developed a thromus (I guess that is a blood clot - don't know if it has more precise meaning than "blood clot" but they said thrombus). And his ejection fraction is even lower than pre-surgery.

Feeling more than a bit defeated right now. I think it would help to get moved into the new space as soon as possible and get some order and symmetry back into our days. Or at least, get him settled while I try to get things wrapped up with the primary residence. Just so tired right now. I feel like we need a two week cruise and forget all this laborious mess w/ getting the house on the market and moving. But that ain't gonna happen, lol. So I guess I soldier on.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Prayers for ani and all of us.

And what to my horrid surprise, mice eaten tissues in the two cars up in back! When I opened the trunk on one to throw the bait blocks in, two ran out to greet me!

Going to have to bait this place and the vehicles like mad this year. Yikes.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Prayers for ani and all of us.

And what to my horrid surprise, mice eaten tissues in the two cars up in back! When I opened the trunk on one to throw the bait blocks in, two ran out to greet me!

Going to have to bait this place and the vehicles like mad this year. Yikes.
Thank you, CCc.

I have heard some of the old-timers around here saying that they think it is going to be a really long cold winter. So get the mice out and plug up the holes so they can't get back in . . . I have a feeling they will be out en force very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement