U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
77 at 10am here in Miami Beach.

I'm looking out my wall of windows at people frollicking on the beach and in the ocean, while also watching the Inauguration on tv and seeing everyone from my former hometown bundled up in coats, gloves, hats and scarves.

Ahhhh, retirement is grand, ain't it.
Shame on you for so much bragging on your temp! It is now -9F - today will be the first time in 4 years that our daytime high will be below 0 The inside temp is the same as it was when it was 30F outside but I keep putting on more clothes to stay warm - I'm now waddling around here with 50 lbs. of clothes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,609,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Ani-

I have no medical training but based on what you have said:

he has conjestive heart failure and now possibly the flu also
you sound like you may be getting this flu
people are dying from the flu

I don't think you should wait much longer to get him to the ER. He is already in a weakened state and you may continue to weaken yourself with the worry/no sleep. You could also get the Tamiflu (?) while you are there with him.

Better safe than sorry. Wish I was there to help you.

Wish you the best.
Brilliant suggestion about the tamiflu! I am going to call hubby's doc right now. They may very well prefer he not come in at this point and they may prescribe him tamiflu. He was there just a few weeks ago--he has regular appts with 4 docs/clinics.

Calling right now. TY!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM

30,033 posts, read 35,213,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree with the better safe than sorry approach. The moment I feel we need an ambulance, I won't hesitate. Your post reminds me that EMT would also be able to assess the situation upon arriving here.

Thank you for reinforcing that I should do what I feel is best, even if hubby protests (and he will).
I should add that in my previous life I have decided whether to call hundreds of ambulances and have never regretted calling.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Ani, I wish I knew what to say, but even though everything I can think of sounds dumb when I try to write it down, I did want you to know your friends are sending warm wishes your way. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Hope you and hubby feel better soon.
TY so much, Cala! I called the doc's office (internist) and they were not that helpful. Maybe I will get a call back and maybe I won't--and maybe they will call in a script for Tamiflu and maybe they won't. That is what I was told, lol. I was like--huh?

Meanwhile, hubby grumping in the background that I am over reacting. For the bulk of his career, he ran one of the largest healthcare systems in the country and he becomes impossible to deal w/ when it involves h/c issues. He says he will be fine (he always says this) and he was highly peeved that I even called his doc. He is nearly impossible to deal with at such times. He hates drama and he thinks people over-use ERs. That is probably true, but what does that have to do with his needing medical assistance.

Son-- who is also in healthcare--is texting me and putting the pressure on me to get his Dad to a hospital, even tho Dad is refusing to go and got mad as hell when I said I felt he should go on to the hospital.

The man weighs 230 lbs, is over six feet tall and built like a linebacker. No way I can physically make him do a thing.

He told me to just pls leave him alone and stop hovering.

Gonna watch a movie and hopefully, he will fall asleep. Maybe the doc will call in some tamiflu.

At least the sun is out.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I should add that in my previous life I have decided whether to call hundreds of ambulances and have never regretted calling.
I really appreciate the support. I am going to trust that I know what I am doing even if hubby gets upset with me. He is feverish and not in the position to know what is best for himself right now.

I wish he would be more cooperative but he isn't going to be, so I will just do what I think is best and that is that.

He doesn't seem to be getting any worse so that is a positive.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:
Son-- who is also in healthcare--is texting me and putting the pressure on me to get his Dad to a hospital, even tho Dad is refusing to go and got mad as hell when I said I felt he should go on to the hospital.

Your son may be able to convince him - or not. At least there are two of you- you may wear him down

Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
77 at 10am here in Miami Beach.

I'm looking out my wall of windows at people frollicking on the beach and in the ocean, while also watching the Inauguration on tv and seeing everyone from my former hometown bundled up in coats, gloves, hats and scarves.

Ahhhh, retirement is grand, ain't it.
Hubby would love to move to Florida. Your description makes it awfully tempting!

Hope you are enjoying your day.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Your son may be able to convince him - or not. At least there are two of you- you may wear him down
Yes, there is definitely strength in numbers!!!!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
It's 48 in Cody, Wyoming with a brilliant blue sky. I counted thirty-three mule deer from my porch. That beats any parade of Democrats.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Hubby has the flu and is very ill. I don't really know how to gauge his respiratory distress level. I stayed up overnight monitoring him. His fever broke, which is a good sign. He has congestive heart failure so fluid in his lungs is a big concern and he definitely has bronchitis, but it is productive (his cough) and although his breathing is somewhat labored (and he is moaning, wh/ is disconcerting but not that unusual for him) his breathing is rhythmic. I am so stressed not knowing at what point things are getting close to critical. I injured my shoulder (again) at Christmas when he put his full weight on my shoulder when he was unsteady. So no way I could possibly help him get to the car. I would need to call an ambulance and I don't want to over react and have him sitting in the ER when it wasn't necessary.

Nearly lost him in 2009 so I know what actual end stage heart failure looks like, but I don't know at what point he is in distress to the degree that I need to take action. In 2011, his physician insisted we get him to ER and turns out it was unnecessary and the trip fatigued him terribly and contributed to a longer recovery.

So I am feeling really alone and incompetent right now. The good thing is -- we are only minutes from an ER (wh/ is one reason we have decided not to move from this house). The bad thing is--I am fighting something--cough, aching and low grade fever and I am really concerned about my ability to managed his health if mine goes down more in the next 24 hrs.

I know there is nothing any of you can do about my situation -- but any insight from others dealing with "when to call the ambulance" is appreciated. Of course I have had some medical training and have read hundreds of articles and books--but personal insight is so much more helpful than abstract guidelines.
Ani, I hope the situation has gotten better by now - later in the day today - please keep us posted.

One thing I think about is how important it is to have folks around us to help out in emergencies - someone to call on to talk things through, to come over and watch the house while you're at hospital, watch the pets, etc...Also, I have a doctor friend who tells me how helpful it is to have a hospital advocate lined up, in the event you do need one. An advocate would know the ins and outs of the hospital routine and even if you already do, would be there observing and questioning things and reporting to you. I don't know how to sign on with one, however she is writing a book about the whole hospital landscape and how to negotiate it.

If you have close-by friends and family and can call on them and let them know the situation, that would probably give you a lot of support and strength.

As a mother of four, I was advised to call the ambulance whenever anything looked like I could not handle it alone. Playing it safe not only can save a life but even if it turns out you did not need the ER visit, it provides a dry run for when you may possibly need it some day. Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement