U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 11:14 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I doubt these young kids would talk with an old(er) lady. I could feel the vibe of "me-ness" coming from those who weren't talking, plus most of them were on their i-whatevers even when talking with others.

Today I got my first "hunn" from a drugstore clerk. She said it three times as she waited on me. I am going to report her.
On another forum people were saying that they call everyone "hun." Funny, no one called me by that name until I was older. Someone called dh "hun" today and I nearly swatted them.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Part B tripled for my husband. We were very surprised. Some coverage has been dropped (including a free exercise/workout plan) and some copays have gone up. However, the coverage is good and we aren't complaining, even though it was surprising to see the monthly payment triple. It is still a bargain compared to insurance plans in general.

I gather you mean the supplement plan, not the Medicare Part B premium?

Old 10-02-2014, 07:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
On another forum people were saying that they call everyone "hun." Funny, no one called me by that name until I was older. Someone called dh "hun" today and I nearly swatted them.
LOL. Just be aware that if you visit the South, you may be called hun, darlin', sweetheart, sugar, etc by anyone at any time (and it has nothing to do with age) but usually only in smaller towns and rural areas. I can't imagine anyone here in Charlotte using a term of endearment these days. There are more newcomers than natives here now.

I never hear a term of endearment in Charlotte (out in public) but I am more and more seeing folks use ugly hand gestures and being verbally assaultive to service people in the last five years. I guess that is just becoming the bane of urban living. People feel disconnected and anonymous so they don't use a filter in public.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I gather you mean the supplement plan, not the Medicare Part B premium?
Yes, I didn't reference that correctly. The advantage plan premium tripled.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
I always thought hunn was northern and darlin' was southern. Usually used towards the opposite sex.

You're right, ani, about the disconnect and no filters. Younger people communicate like fb and twitter posts,, IMO. I wonder if as we evolve we will have longer and narrower thumbs for testing and smaller mouths. Smaller brains???

Be happy, all.......

Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL. Just be aware that if you visit the South, you may be called hun, darlin', sweetheart, sugar, etc by anyone at any time (and it has nothing to do with age) but usually only in smaller towns and rural areas. I can't imagine anyone here in Charlotte using a term of endearment these days. There are more newcomers than natives here now.

I never hear a term of endearment in Charlotte (out in public) but I am more and more seeing folks use ugly hand gestures and being verbally assaultive to service people in the last five years. I guess that is just becoming the bane of urban living. People feel disconnected and anonymous so they don't use a filter in public.
That's when previous customs die out.

Here in Texas one doesn't beep their horn. Just a local custom.
But go to any of the big cities and there's horn beeping all over the place.
More newcomers than natives.

Ma'am is another big one in Texas besides hun and darlin but again you don't hear it much in the big cities anymore.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
I've never heard "hun" up here out of context of being an oldster. No one would call a hot young chick "hun" or "dear." It's considered patronizing, a sign of age. I remain offended.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I've never heard "hun" up here out of context of being an oldster. No one would call a hot young chick "hun" or "dear." It's considered patronizing, a sign of age. I remain offended.
Next time, just tell 'em - "I am not your honey, Sugarplum." lololol

"Hun" is more Northeastern than Southern. We usually say "Honey" here (to people of all ages, and it is not condescending), but hubby calls me "Hun" cause he is basically a Yankee, even though he is from St. Louis. :-)

Last edited by brokensky; 10-02-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's when previous customs die out.

Here in Texas one doesn't beep their horn. Just a local custom.
But go to any of the big cities and there's horn beeping all over the place.
More newcomers than natives.

Ma'am is another big one in Texas besides hun and darlin but again you don't hear it much in the big cities anymore.
Oh, the horn honking phenomenon.

Every so often, on the Charlotte forum, we have a thread started about horn honking. Also, about why people get so angry here when someone honks at the person in front of them, who is taking his/her time (being cautious) at signal lights.

We have problems with folks running red lights here and so people are cautious about pulling out in busy intersections . . . and wow . . . newcomers will sit on the horn, something that was NEVER done 20 years ago.

Southerners are very very touchy about using their horns. You use a horn only in a real emergency, not to signal displeasure b/c someone isn't moving fast enough.

People learn after while that Southerners will be passive aggressive and just go slower if there is an impatient jerk behind us, tailgating and hitting the horn at an intersection.

Southerners use a horn to do two things . . . 1. signal that there is a real danger and 2. say hello or goodbye to friends, lol.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Quote:
LMAO you go, girl!!!!!!!!!!! The last sentence is still making me smile. You could use it to edit your status. Hilarious IMO!!!!!!!

Honking is reserved for saying hello to a friend, and sometimes danger. Most people hit the brakes faster than the horn in the latter.

Dear is a northern border state thing, used on all ages. I never heard it before moving here and it's common hearing it from customers in MI, MN, ND, VT, ME; you get the idea.

I hate being called ma'am here. Makes me feel old. The south got that one right, young ones say ma'am to all females, including their mothers. Women over sixty are called miss, like Miss Kay on Duck Dynasty. I like it. Another reason to like moving south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement