U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2014, 08:05 AM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Reputation: 7530

Advertisements

negirl, so sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories.

Sorry to be AWOL y'all, yesterday was chiro and grocery day. At least it gets him up and out once a week.

The tractor collection was accrued assuming we would remain in the dismantle and parts sales business. He did have plans to restore and enjoy a select few. We are not giving up on the notion, just going to pare down the herd to a reasonable amount that will move with us.

With the new place not having hills and stairs we hope to continue his working on them. We shall see.

I have no regrets parting with our way too much stuff. I have high hopes for our future.

I grew up in SoFL so I know I will love it there. DH says since I followed his dream to the country here he at least owes me to move south. Deal. I know he won't miss the weather once we get there.

 
Old 10-11-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Lost three dear people this week. Other dear, vibrant friends in just the past year. These people have helped define my life. I realize more and more how short life is, and I'm impressed more and more with how much people manage to accomplish in such a brief flash of time. If we have dreams to try to make come true, now is the time.

I am so very sorry to hear this. Our friends hold our history. We lose bits and pieces of ourselves when our friends die.

(((hugs)))
 
Old 10-11-2014, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so very sorry to hear this. Our friends hold our history. We lose bits and pieces of ourselves when our friends die.

(((hugs)))
Thanks, ani. One was a double obit, mother and grown daughter deaths on opposite sides of the country. We knew the mother well, it was a complication of Alzheimer's. We don't yet know the cause of the daughter's death. We knew one of her siblings. Two concurrent deaths in the same family really sends home how fragile life is.
 
Old 10-11-2014, 06:17 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Reputation: 29102
[quote=newenglandgirl;36842107]Thanks, ani. One was a double obit, mother and grown daughter deaths on opposite sides of the country. We knew the mother well, it was a complication of Alzheimer's. We don't yet know the cause of the daughter's death. We knew one of her siblings. Two concurrent deaths in the same family really sends home how fragile life is.[/QUOTE]

It certainly is. Just ask any of us combat troops, current or former. Might be why I try to live it to the best of my ability. It's too precious to waste,
 
Old 10-11-2014, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Just got back from seeing Gone Girl. I was expecting not to like it as I wasn't able to "get into" the book from the start. I went with my two sisters and we spent the next two hours trying to figure out key aspects of the plot. It was really, really well done. Great direction, incredible acting, brilliant storyline. You have to get past the first part of the script that's (deliberately) superficial and clichéd. Stick with it; you'll be drawn in and mesmerized. (seniors: head to the restroom before going in, it's a 2 1/2 hour movie and you won't want to miss a minute. Also, some pretty steamy sex scenes with gorgeous bodies, scenes that for once are actually necessary to the plot. Not sure I'll encourage the old man to go, but he's the one who loved the book, on tape.)
 
Old 10-11-2014, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
[quote=Curmudgeon;36842189]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks, ani. One was a double obit, mother and grown daughter deaths on opposite sides of the country. We knew the mother well, it was a complication of Alzheimer's. We don't yet know the cause of the daughter's death. We knew one of her siblings. Two concurrent deaths in the same family really sends home how fragile life is.[/QUOTE]

It certainly is. Just ask any of us combat troops, current or former. Might be why I try to live it to the best of my ability. It's too precious to waste,
There's nothing like death or the danger of it, close to home, for a wakeup call to life. Anyone in combat must feel the fragility.
 
Old 10-11-2014, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
negirl, so sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories.

Sorry to be AWOL y'all, yesterday was chiro and grocery day. At least it gets him up and out once a week.

The tractor collection was accrued assuming we would remain in the dismantle and parts sales business. He did have plans to restore and enjoy a select few. We are not giving up on the notion, just going to pare down the herd to a reasonable amount that will move with us.

With the new place not having hills and stairs we hope to continue his working on them. We shall see.

I have no regrets parting with our way too much stuff. I have high hopes for our future.

I grew up in SoFL so I know I will love it there. DH says since I followed his dream to the country here he at least owes me to move south. Deal. I know he won't miss the weather once we get there.
We'll be following your progress in getting there, and will join you every Feb. Which are the guest rooms?
 
Old 10-11-2014, 09:52 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,774,833 times
Reputation: 29102
[quote=Curmudgeon;36842189]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks, ani. One was a double obit, mother and grown daughter deaths on opposite sides of the country. We knew the mother well, it was a complication of Alzheimer's. We don't yet know the cause of the daughter's death. We knew one of her siblings. Two concurrent deaths in the same family really sends home how fragile life is.
It certainly is. Just ask any of us combat troops, current or former. Might be why I try to live it to the best of my ability. It's too precious to waste.
 
Old 10-12-2014, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656
Today is pumpkin picking day. I never thought I'd be doing this again, after a quarter-century. I remember how it felt to cut the top off the pumpkin and start scooping out the slimy mess with all the seeds clinging to it. Then wash the stringy stuff away and spread the seeds on cookie sheets to roast them and then eat. Then the arguments over whether it's a guy or a gal (yarn on top for hair?) and whether it would be cute or scary. We usually had to do a bunch of them and the scary ones were always the best, with their candle inside after dark. I always remember the day following Halloween, All Saints Day, when the leaves all seem to be suddenly off the trees and pumpkins breaking down and scattered on a sidewalk or street. Pumpkin is a nutritious food, but I'm not about to make pumpkin soup or pie from scratch these days. Or maybe.
 
Old 10-12-2014, 08:09 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Today is pumpkin picking day. I never thought I'd be doing this again, after a quarter-century. I remember how it felt to cut the top off the pumpkin and start scooping out the slimy mess with all the seeds clinging to it. Then wash the stringy stuff away and spread the seeds on cookie sheets to roast them and then eat. Then the arguments over whether it's a guy or a gal (yarn on top for hair?) and whether it would be cute or scary. We usually had to do a bunch of them and the scary ones were always the best, with their candle inside after dark. I always remember the day following Halloween, All Saints Day, when the leaves all seem to be suddenly off the trees and pumpkins breaking down and scattered on a sidewalk or street. Pumpkin is a nutritious food, but I'm not about to make pumpkin soup or pie from scratch these days. Or maybe.
Haha, maybe indeed!

I found a Winnie the Witch pumpkin soup recipe to make with my granddaughter, she loves the Winnie books and the trip to the pumpkin farm is next weekend.

It's déjà vu all over again, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top