U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 03:07 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,420,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We'll be following your progress in getting there, and will join you every Feb. Which are the guest rooms?
We have two guest bedrooms, one will probably be reserved for mom. For houseguests behaving badly there is a studio apartment in the stables

I'm pretty sure you can take the train to West Palm Beach. Amtrak runs between there and Orlando. Grandies Disney age yet? Florida residents get reduced pass rates.

I got DH up and out today. Tractors were started, grass was mowed. Plow truck started up on a dime, new solenoid installed. Backhoe fired right up, burn barrel emptied, manure pile tidied up and spread up on the back five. We figured out if he hangs onto my arm going down the stairs it's easier. He actually said he's considering doing the hip and he knows he will have to get it done at some point.

Thank you, ___________( insert deity HERE)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 04:00 PM

20,111 posts, read 20,227,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
We have two guest bedrooms, one will probably be reserved for mom. For houseguests behaving badly there is a studio apartment in the stables

I'm pretty sure you can take the train to West Palm Beach. Amtrak runs between there and Orlando. Grandies Disney age yet? Florida residents get reduced pass rates.

I got DH up and out today. Tractors were started, grass was mowed. Plow truck started up on a dime, new solenoid installed. Backhoe fired right up, burn barrel emptied, manure pile tidied up and spread up on the back five. We figured out if he hangs onto my arm going down the stairs it's easier. He actually said he's considering doing the hip and he knows he will have to get it done at some point.

Woo Hoo!!
Funny, the difference in people. My daughter had to use very persuasive arguments to get her doctor to agree to do hers (was faced with the 'too young' argument)

Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 PM

Thanks O_C, I couldn't nelieve it when I heard it.

My BFF had one of her parts counter guys who had his done. He is 40. When he returned to work after surgery she did not recognize him. It was the first time she had ever seen him standing up straight.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,158,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

So this is your final winter up north. Hooray!!! So happy for you, now you can sell the snow plow along with all the other stuff you'll never have to use again.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 AM

NEgirl, the 1970 Ford F100 plow truck with manual steering and manual transmission requires herculean strength to drive. DH used to joke about having Popeye forearms at the end of the season.

I was planning to sell the plow truck and the backhoe with the property. DH's BFF really wants the plow truck, so we may give it to him. The backhoe has a new engine and the transmission was completely rebuilt, it's worth around 18K on the high side.

That is our plan, I hope God sees it through. Faith and hope keep me on track. Thanks for the well wishes.

NOAA has reported this will be a milder winter. I am laying in supplies like mad just to make it true. I'm not stashing things we won't need or use, but the need to drive to town weekly after this past winter is not working for me. If we get stormed in I want to be able to stay put for two weeks if I have to.

I am filling buckets with sand and stashing them in the barn. I spent a small fortune on play sand at Home Depot last year due to all of the ice we had. Not this time.

Last year I almost sold off my two Carharrt snow suits, but something in my head told me not to. Good call there.

I am looking forward to selling off things as we get closer to goal date. When the snow does fly I will again begin culling from the attic, which is about half of the volume it once was two years ago.

Blessings all around to us and a Happy Columbus Day.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:29 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,204,867 times
Thoughts on a rainy Tuesday morning.

I've been listening to the rain pounding down as I sit in my PJ's, sipping coffee, reading posts here and I had a vivid memory of mornings when the weather would be like this in my working years and how I would not want to have to go to work. It seems like if the weather was bad one day that would be the day there would be deliveries which required that I hunt down a fork lift to unload it. All too often the lift would be almost out of propane and it would sputter and die halfway through the process. I'd then have to go over to the rack that held full tanks, get one and roll it to where the f/l was, remove the empty and hoist the full one up and reconnect it. All in the pouring down rain.

So nice not to have to do those sorts of things any more.

The oldest dog is nudging the raised stand that holds his food bowl, I'd best get the critters fed so they can go back to bed and snooze away this rainy morning. maybe I will follow their example since there is a flash flood watch in effect starting at noon today and I have no need to go anywhere beyond the mailbox today.

Update - As expected the critters all went back to bed but I'm much too awake to to so.

Last edited by zugor; 10-14-2014 at 06:37 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 06:23 AM

That's a good skill to have, Zug, drive a forklift. I wish I knew how. Propane makes me nervous, though I hope you're on high ground.

No rain here, it was 32F yesterday morning and today it's 56F. I whisper to the crickets at night, "I hope you guys are ticking in November.' They are cranking up the snow guns on the ski slopes in Colorado. Ick, they can have it.

Happy day, all.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:58 AM

20,111 posts, read 20,227,434 times
I will not, will not, will not !! complain but yesterday, when it got to be 86 and climbing in the house, I did realize it was not comfortable and turned on the AC.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM

8,309 posts, read 12,064,263 times
Currently sitting in a beachfront cafe in Belize, accessing Wifi for the first time in a few days, and thought I'd check in to say hi. No time to read previous posts, but wanted to say that I hope all is well with everyone and to re-emphasize that retirement is a wonderful time of life!

Old 10-14-2014, 12:04 PM

8,758 posts, read 9,830,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I will not, will not, will not !! complain but yesterday, when it got to be 86 and climbing in the house, I did realize it was not comfortable and turned on the AC.
It's 73 degrees here right now and supposed to hit 85 but probably won't. All my windows are open, the sliding glass door is open and it feels heavenly. Beautiful sunny day. Haven't used the cooler in weeks. It gets down to the low 50s at night, which is absolutely perfect sleeping weather, but chilly in the mornings. Since I leave my BR windows partially open I did add a blanket to the bed. I might turn the heat on for about 20 minutes to take off the chill, till after my shower, but that's it. Fall is our BEST season here IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement