U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Reputation: 15656

Advertisements

Ani, one more thought is that in some areas there are, believe it or not, physicians who will do house calls.
www.doctorsmakinghousecalls.com Maybe try that route. Have you called the ER and described the symptoms? In my experience they will advise you over the phone as to whether or not to come in. They usually err on the side of caution and will advise you to come in. You can check on the current ER patient load when you call.

The other consideration of course is what he might catch if he does go in. If he's highly susceptible to getting ill in general, getting a medic to come to your home might be the wiser choice, initially.

The hard part is convincing your husband. That may be where a trusted close-by friend, or a visiting nurse, can come in... checking his vitals and his lungs and then s/he would be the one to make the call, not you.

 
Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Reputation: 22439
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. The doc did call in Tamiflu so he has taken his first dose. His cough seems to be better now--not coughing as often, too. His fever has not spiked again and is lowgrade now.

Yes, it would be good to have a support system. I have always had a wonderful support system of family and friends til the last fiew years. Friends have all moved away or died and we live in a neighborhood where folks will wave but no one socializes. I tried for years to create some bonds with our neighbors but everyone is very insular and no one visits back and forth. I have nice folks on each side of me but they are not home much (travel with work and travel in retirement). I have a group of friends about an hour away (plus my dear sister!)and they keep encouraging us to move up there but it is not as convenient an area to live in, i.e. we have docs, groceries, pharm, vet, big box stores, restaurants and retail all within 2 miles of us here. Plus the airport only 20 mins away.

No magic solutions. I have a feeling there are a lot of folks in a similar situation. I can certainly understand why people decide to stay in place in retirement simply b/c they have a support system where they live. And I can also understand why some think about moving closer to their children or into a retirement community.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. The doc did call in Tamiflu so he has taken his first dose. His cough seems to be better now--not coughing as often, too. His fever has not spiked again and is lowgrade now.

Yes, it would be good to have a support system. I have always had a wonderful support system of family and friends til the last fiew years. Friends have all moved away or died and we live in a neighborhood where folks will wave but no one socializes. I tried for years to create some bonds with our neighbors but everyone is very insular and no one visits back and forth. I have nice folks on each side of me but they are not home much (travel with work and travel in retirement). I have a group of friends about an hour away (plus my dear sister!)and they keep encouraging us to move up there but it is not as convenient an area to live in, i.e. we have docs, groceries, pharm, vet, big box stores, restaurants and retail all within 2 miles of us here. Plus the airport only 20 mins away.

No magic solutions. I have a feeling there are a lot of folks in a similar situation. I can certainly understand why people decide to stay in place in retirement simply b/c they have a support system where they live. And I can also understand why some think about moving closer to their children or into a retirement community.
Ani - glad you got the Tamiflu and hope you have enough for yourself also.

I know what you mean about insular neighbors. After living in very friendly neighborhoods all my life, both in MN and CO, how I happened into this one is still a mystery to me. I swear they'd report your house on fire only if it might impact their own house. Can't wait to leave.

We are all here for support ( alot of good that does you for many things).
 
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
 
2,166 posts, read 4,723,381 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Shame on you for so much bragging on your temp! It is now -9F - today will be the first time in 4 years that our daytime high will be below 0 The inside temp is the same as it was when it was 30F outside but I keep putting on more clothes to stay warm - I'm now waddling around here with 50 lbs. of clothes on.
The weather is crazy this week. Here in SE MI, it was less than a week ago that I was wearing an unlined raincoat over a sweatshirt, then I progressed to an old leather coat with lining, and now I'm wearing a down parka and big thick snow boots! All within a week! We are not as cold as MN, but tonight, it's currently 4 degrees, going down to zero. Then, Monday coming up, it is predicted to be 42! This winter, I'm keeping all outdoor coats at the ready!
 
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
 
6 posts, read 6,700 times
Reputation: 10
Default Had enough of cars?

Quote:
Stay home and starve? Perhaps die without medication? Our communities are no longer designed for people to live without a car. Something you may need to think about in 10-15 years
Cars have made some american manufacturers and certainly the Url corps rich. Everybody makes $$ off the car- except for the people driving it! Wouldn't it be nice to make jobs for people in mass transportation that works? I don't love N.Y. , but their transit works! I'd like to see the return of the friendly efficient train of yesteryear, modernized. Driving is expensive, tedious work and not much fun these days....
 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
 
2,166 posts, read 4,723,381 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by josecervo View Post
Cars have made some american manufacturers and certainly the Url corps rich. Everybody makes $$ off the car- except for the people driving it! Wouldn't it be nice to make jobs for people in mass transportation that works? I don't love N.Y. , but their transit works! I'd like to see the return of the friendly efficient train of yesteryear, modernized. Driving is expensive, tedious work and not much fun these days....
100% agree. I can't afford to live in NYC or downtown Boston or Cambridge, so I'm stuck with a car. As I am approaching 65 and retiring this summer, the car looms large as every retirement location I've explored requires a car and the expense is something I'd like to do without. The concept of "walkability" is thrown around a lot these days, but these walkable downtowns are really for tourists and for having fun. The reality is that center cities in so-called walkable towns do not contain necessities such as grocery and drug stores, doc offices, dentists, etc, and instead are filled with restaurants and galleries and boutiques. And any housing close in is very expensive, mostly inhabited by highly paid professionals or students. Not really an option for retirees on a budget.
 
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
100% agree. I can't afford to live in NYC or downtown Boston or Cambridge, so I'm stuck with a car. As I am approaching 65 and retiring this summer, the car looms large as every retirement location I've explored requires a car and the expense is something I'd like to do without. The concept of "walkability" is thrown around a lot these days, but these walkable downtowns are really for tourists and for having fun. The reality is that center cities in so-called walkable towns do not contain necessities such as grocery and drug stores, doc offices, dentists, etc, and instead are filled with restaurants and galleries and boutiques. And any housing close in is very expensive, mostly inhabited by highly paid professionals or students. Not really an option for retirees on a budget.
Downtown Mpls became a very popular place to live - people got rid of the houses and downsized big time. I have a good friend that did this and tried to convince me to do the same. I know I'd like the lifestyle but I have dogs and that's where the complications would make it not so nice after a while. Also, her HOA dues have gone up -up - up - up. Plus, anyone that wanted to come and visit would have to pay for Mpls downtown parking-very $$.

They have put in everything anyone would need - grocery stores, Target etc... so you really could get by without a car - until you needed something from Home Depot and those kinds of places. The housing is very expensive and everything from coffee to items from the drug stores are more expensive there. It isn't for someone on a tight budget. I still couldn't give up my car so then I would also have the parking spot expense. She does have underground heated parking - nice.
 
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Reputation: 42872
Heated parking in Minneapolis--now that's worth your weight in cold. I really like MN but it's 1 degree F there right now. Brrrrrr.....

 
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Reputation: 16359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Heated parking in Minneapolis--now that's worth your weight in cold. I really like MN but it's 1 degree F there right now. Brrrrrr.....
Big baby I just took the dogs for a (short) walk and it was downright balmy (it was -9F).
 
Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 27,131,671 times
Reputation: 42872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Big baby I just took the dogs for a (short) walk and it was downright balmy (it was -9F).
LOL you got that right. Once it goes below freezing my inner big baby comes out big time. Can't even imagine how I'd feel at -9 degrees. Just thinking about it makes me want a hot toddy. (I think... what's in a hot toddy, any way?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top