U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 05:12 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
At 61 I am going to try re-learning how to draw & patient. I did it in my younger years & even had 1 boss tell me I should be doing it more often & I told him I wasn't paid enough to buy the tools, lol. I'd done a portrait of his daughter for her 21st birthday & it actually looked like her. The other time I did a good drawing was in high school when I learned how to make a river flow.

I stopped because it was too expensive for me to do just as a hobby when, as a single parent, I had a son to feed & clothe. Now I just bought an easel that I can use on either my lap or TV table & an expensive art kit because I could.

So sometimes it's not a 'new' phase but we finally can afford to do what we want and have the time to do it.
I agree. In my earlier days I had more time than money and later I had more money and no time to do what I wanted. Now I've hit the happy medium of enough time and money and I'm content with the amount of both that I have.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:49 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
I'm so old I remember when the rainbow only came in black and white.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm so old I remember when the rainbow only came in black and white.
On our televisions it surely only came in black and white!

Still enjoy B&W films and it didn't occur to me, til recently, that subsequent generations have no clue what it is like to have only B&W films and televisions. I asked my son about it and he said it wasn't "strange" to him as there were B&W films on TV when he was growing up - but that he couldn't imagine being limited to B&W 24/7.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:01 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
>>>>>My interests have never changed. <<<<< I just learn more about them. At 71 I've read far more than I had at forty-one.
I agree with this statement......however, the number of "interests that I have now" (being in my 83rd year).....are triple what I had as a "young 62 year old retiree" My 40 years of "working (in a job I loved) didn't allow the required time to expand on other areas of interest that I knew would be part of my life in retirement.

I firmly believe the "type and number of interests a person has, are directly related to, and the result of, such occurances in life as:... (1) how many times you have been close to death,...(2) how many family members you have lost to death,...(3) have you lost your wife or husband,...(4) how many years were you married,...(5)watching the "social demise" (over-the-years) of acquaintances that have lived their lives expounding the belief that they have:.... "been-there"-"done-that" and "any thing you can do/I can do better!
I've always tried to profit from the mistakes of others and took-an-interest in "why they failed".

The following are (primary areas of interest) that I have had (and still pursue) from my earliest years up to present-day and will have until I die:
.....Hunting, guns {including ballastics & handloading}, fishing, dogs, wildlife, travel, fishing, automobiles.

Additional interests and areas of interest that (since the approx age of (60), have become part of my daily life include:
......The Field of Finance (securities and investing);... electronic devices such as: [i]smart phones, computers, tablets, etc vintage sport cars; fine wines; western art; digital camera : I also have a mandadry personal interest in the type of food I eat due to certain restrictions I have.

I summary, the results of having a variety of interests that a person has great interest in, and follows them to a point where he becomes deeply involved in the fullfiment of his desires to acquire certain level of ownership or partake in the utilization of what the specific area of interest can provide to him. The results derived from these "interests will determine if the person made a wise choice in pursueing "these interests.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
MontanaGriz, you are an inspiration!

Mom isgned up for classes again. She's a firm believer in if you stop learning you begin deteriorating. I agree. Whether by volunteering, working or exploring, it will keep you sharp.

My BIL is barely 62, morbidly obese and living in a 55+ community. He is not active and does not participate in any of the great amenities available.

DH is older. My money is on DH being around longer, he still tries to be active with his bad hip, and is a voracious reader.

He stil has all of his automotive tools and keeps up with the industry to keep his skills sharp. He can barely send an email yet can take an hour to explain to you in detail how the data communication systems on GM vehicles works and is designed.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
Default Your mother has a valid philosophy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
......Mom signed up for classes again. She's a firm believer in if you stop learning you begin deteriorating. I agree. Whether by volunteering, working or exploring, it will keep you sharp...........
I also subscribe to your mom's philosophy. Some of us are life-long readers and keep learning that way. I enjoy a wide variety of subjects in addition to my main hobby reading interest of World War II history. I like paleoanthropology, astronomy, and certain aspects of history outside of World War II. Right now I am in the middle of a new (2014) book on Philip II of Macedonia and his son Alexander the Great.

I am also the president of a 26-unit HOA. It is not always "fun" but it is challenging because of the need to learn things and problem-solve. I believe that some sort of active engagement with life is a good thing in retirement, although I would NOT make the general recommendation of being on an HOA board because the occasional irrational (mentally ill) person can be so frustrating to deal with.

The subject of how active to be in retirement is discussed frequently in various threads of this Retirement Forum, so my views are hardly unknown. The other camp is composed of the folks whose days are taken up with smelling the flowers and enjoying that third cup of coffee.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
It's great hearing about people's interests.

My interests have changed over the years, but some have stayed with me. When I was a kid I was interested in snakes, reptiles and dinosaurs. Comic books, too. Nowadays I have no interest in that. As a teenager and young adult I developed an interest in minerals, geology, gems and jewelry ... that has stayed with me. I am a gemologist and a graduate of the Gemological Institute of America.

In middle age I developed some interests that many mature men pick up: fine wines and spirits, clothes and sartorial tastes, fine watches and timepieces, home improvement, classical music and opera, foreign and independent films, cooking, investing, real estate, Eastern wisdom and spirituality, etc.

I always had an interest in art, architecture, theater, fine dining, travel, poetry, etc. ... pursuits that can only be satisfied by living in a very large city that has diverse cultural amenities.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:16 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
...It's time to start a thread on the c-d administrative forum to work for a place to discuss issues of interest to the elderly.
That worries me. The 'Science and Technology' forum used to have three subgroups. There was overlap in all of the main and sub groups. So the CD administrators created *six* subgroups. There's still overlap in all of the main and sub groups. And now it's a PITA to read. IMO, they wrecked it. I hope this 'Retirement' forum doesn't go in that direction.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Yeah, leave the forum as is IMO. It's not like there's that many of us here.

Simply look at the elders that are still young at heart and sharp of mind. They're not in a rocking chair all day.

My adopted uncle is mid seventies and is active in the food pantry, church and fixes all his friends and neighbors' cars if it doesn't require a lift or special tools. He helps folks more 'elderly' (No I do not consider mid seventies elderly BTW) than he in the winters with snowplowing, snowblowing and the like. He manages the local library and supervises the grounds and building maintenance.
Yep, converted the whole place to CFL's by himself. A tall strapping farm boy, he likes to keep busy. And therein lies the secret. So let's get busy!

OT jean_ji and old_cold, you will chuckle when I tell you we are bracing for three to five inches of heavy and wet snow tonight. Cancel the chiropractor, change the litterboxes, extra bedding in the horse stalls, gas up the generator, fill the sand buckets, get out the shovels, cook up some vittles. Did I forget something? Oh, take showers, too.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That worries me. The 'Science and Technology' forum used to have three subgroups. There was overlap in all of the main and sub groups. So the CD administrators created *six* subgroups. There's still overlap in all of the main and sub groups. And now it's a PITA to read. IMO, they wrecked it. I hope this 'Retirement' forum doesn't go in that direction.
I have never really understood why folks want to break it up into sections (Retirement forum). I mean . . . just read and engage in the threads that interest you or the ones where you feel you have something to contribute . . . I don't see the need to have more subcategories - and for the very reasons you mention, oddstray.

Just gets too complicated for my simple brain, I guess.

It's all good as long as it doesn't get too complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement