U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,201,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One of the reasons I very rarely ever shop at Walmart or even Target. I look at labels. I don't mind if something is made in Mexico or the Dominican Republic or even India ... but the Chinese stuff to me is just inferior. When I am in a Walmart ... maybe 2 or 3 times a year ... what do I buy? Shower curtain liners, needles and thread, maybe a cake from the bakery department. That's all.
If only one could avoid Made in China by avoiding Target and Walmart! It's everywhere.
I've had some luck shopping 2nd hand and vintage stores, estate sales, when I'm seeking replenishment of household and kitchen goods. That's the only strategy I've found for finding made in USA stuff.

When traveling, I always look for small stores that specialize in fair trade merchandise, and try to stock up on personal and home stuff like wallets, socks, scarves, kitchen linens, etc. They're a bit pricey but worth it imo. Ten Thousand Villages is a good fair trade retail chain.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 PM

28,415 posts, read 40,304,533 times
None around here.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM

8,319 posts, read 12,073,472 times
Quote:
Ever notice that most shoes sold in the US nowadays are made in CHINA ???
Other than workout/tennis shoes, I don't think I've ever bought a pair of shoes made in China. Most shoes I've purchased in the last 20 years or so were made in Italy, but I've also bought shoes that were manufactured in the US as well. Allen Edmunds comes to mind offhand.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:06 AM

20,317 posts, read 19,304,785 times
There are cheap, poor fitting shoes that are made in China but I think that now even shoes like Rockports are made in China. A lot of L.L. Bean shoes are made in China--but Bea's still have their famous boots and some other shoes that are still well made--and not in China! Not too many retired people need Allen Edmonds, although maybe you bought them years ago and they lasted.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:58 AM

8,319 posts, read 12,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not too many retired people need Allen Edmonds, although maybe you bought them years ago and they lasted.
Well, no one "needs" Allen Edmonds, but there's no reason for retired folks not to wear good quality shoes. I guess I don't really understand your statement, unless perhaps you're only familiar with their wingtip shoes and equate the brand with "work" shoes only. Allen Edmunds also makes very nice casual shoes such as penny loafers. That said, I only mentioned them in particular because I was trying to emphasize a domestic manufacturer of shoes from which I've purchased. Lately, however, most of my recent shoe purchases have been Ferragamo (when they're on sale, of course). Just because an item is expensive, that doesn't mean you still can't try to be frugal, lol! I picked up my last two pair @ 50% off at an end of season sale.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 AM

9,667 posts, read 11,124,098 times
I have two pairs of Florsheim Imperials, black and brown, that I've had for years. Since I always use shoe trees they should easily last the rest of my life as I only wear them a few times in the course of a year. Tony Lama has my lasts so I can order boots over the phone. I had my first custom boots made almost fifty years ago when I was in El Paso.

For simple everyday wear I generally wear walking shoes from LL Bean. I read the reviews first. It's irrelevant where they're made as long as they're comfortable. Bean is my primary clothier.

Woolrich used to make some great wool tweed slacks; I'd buy several pairs at a time. I get Harris tweeds now from a place in Scotland. They're expensive, but they never wear out. They're great on a blustery day.

I look for value in clothing as I do in everything else. I've had clothes that looked fine after twenty-five years. Clothes that are never fashionable are never unfashionable. My clothing would have elicited no more comment in 1950 than it does today. I'd wager that I spend far less to wear the best than do those who demand the latest in fashion.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Quote:
One of the reasons I very rarely ever shop at Walmart or even Target. I look at labels. I don't mind if something is made in Mexico or the Dominican Republic or even India ... but the Chinese stuff to me is just inferior. When I am in a Walmart ... maybe 2 or 3 times a year ... what do I buy? Shower curtain liners, needles and thread, maybe a cake from the bakery department. That's all.
Once in a while you see a Made in Portugal label. I'm inclined toward that country (and Poland and Scotland), well over China. The problem with China is there seem to be few government controls over ingredients or materials, and who needs any more toxins in or on our bodies.

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-08-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 03:45 PM

20,317 posts, read 19,304,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have two pairs of Florsheim Imperials, black and brown, that I've had for years. Since I always use shoe trees they should easily last the rest of my life as I only wear them a few times in the course of a year. Tony Lama has my lasts so I can order boots over the phone. I had my first custom boots made almost fifty years ago when I was in El Paso.

For simple everyday wear I generally wear walking shoes from LL Bean. I read the reviews first. It's irrelevant where they're made as long as they're comfortable. Bean is my primary clothier.

Woolrich used to make some great wool tweed slacks; I'd buy several pairs at a time. I get Harris tweeds now from a place in Scotland. They're expensive, but they never wear out. They're great on a blustery day.

I look for value in clothing as I do in everything else. I've had clothes that looked fine after twenty-five years. Clothes that are never fashionable are never unfashionable. My clothing would have elicited no more comment in 1950 than it does today. I'd wager that I spend far less to wear the best than do those who demand the latest in fashion.
True. I'm lucky to live close to an L.L.Bean Outlet store. Their quality varies lately as they try to keep costs down and probably to have enabled them to return to their famous free shipping. I go there about once a week and it's interesting to see the range of quality, especially in the shoes. Some, I wouldn't wear if they were free, others are still well made, and their best boots are still handmade in Maine. (I have always loved their slippers.)

One time I read something about L.L.Bean--you're never quite in style but you're never really out of style either.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:15 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
She is there ready and able to help you weather future storms. We are who we think we were.
Het, Tuborg, I really like that one, I'm keeping it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Never a chuckle, snow is serious business! Do you still have leaves on the trees then? That makes it easy to lose power if you do. It sounds like you've thought of everything. I hope the snow ends up north or south of you.

My day included a trip on the electric ferry to the beach with the Captain who is retired and loving what he does: going back and forth across the ICW on the half hour all day and talking to folks and offering little boys a Tootsie Pop (after checking with Grandma to make sure it was okay). The launch is all volunteer and the captains are full of joy, it's great to be around retired people like that. There are so many ways to stay active and I think one of the best way is to have a true passion for whatever you do.

My main passion is my grandkids at this time in my life along with some secondary ones. I'm going through kindergarten again, I love to see the learning happening in leaps and bounds. Seeing things through the eyes of a two year old is opening my eyes once again too. I know I did this all before, but I was too busy to appreciate it. Now I have the time and a second chance.
No leaves left up here. LOL it snowed for five minutes arounf three in the afternoon and that was it. Pish, posh!

That ferry sounds SO cooooool! Volunteers! I can't wait to see the Loxahatchee and Jupiter inlet, I look at the live webcam shot every morning.

Enjoy those grandbabies jj, they grow up fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I tried the CFL and found it wanting. I use 130 volt bulbs which have lives at least 5x that of standard bulbs but produce nearly as much light as 115 volt bulbs. With the bans on our beloved incandescent bulbs they're very hard to find. I believe, however, that I have a lifetime supply.

The only listing that I could find on Amazon for 100 watt bulbs is for the frighteningly expensive rough service bulb.

SYLVANIA 10489 60-Watt 130-Volt A19 Household Bulb, 24 Pack 60A CVP, 24PK - Incandescent Bulbs - Amazon.com

Bulbrite 100A/RS 100W 130V Incandescent Rough Service A19 Bulb - - Amazon.com

I admire folks who can handle New York and northern New England winters.

My interests become more inclusive as I age and often wander as much as this chat thread. For example, I love guns and have an arms library of at least sixteen hundred books and hundreds of magazines, many published before 1900. This led me to an interest in the history of technology as a whole which led to getting my Latin into shape as well as learning Old French. I've also learned some technical skills, particularly those asssociated with handloading. I enjoy case forming to get needed brass for oldies.

I enjoy traveling. When my wife was alive we took a vacation most years when we didn't have pets who needed us to be home. The only big trip I've taken since she died in 2005 was a journey to Blanding, Utah and environs to see the land where Louis L' Amour set his Haunted Mesa. I saw Great Basin National Park on the same trip as well as Cathedral Gorge State Park. We (my two dogs and I) spent three nights at the Hotel Nevada in Ely where dogs were particularly welcomed.

The Haunted Mesa - Kindle edition by Louis L'Amour. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

You would have been nuts not to buy it. Who knows when of if you'll find it again. I always buy out the store in those circumstances.

My mother loved Kahlua; she couldn't resist other strange and exotic spirits either. On a trip to the Mexican border she discovered that a fifth of Kahlua was only eighty cents there as opposed to something over five dollars here. We made over ten trips across the border for liquor and other goodies. People were limited to a gallon per month so we went to different border crossings and on diffferent shifts. Needless to say, the people in the liquor store loved us. They gave us miniatures as well as jars of preserved fruits. They even gave us recommendations for other stores and called ahead.

When the shah of Iran was deposed I bought over a hundred jars of Iranian caviar before it was gone forever. An ounce was only three dollars. Today, it would be 100x that much if you could find it. That was some good eating.
Mmmmmmmmmmm Kahlua and caviar

HiW I think I can still get 100 watt bulbs at the Dollar Tree. Do you have a store up there?

Well, well, well; I am honored to be hanging out with such a well dressed bunch! I was WalMart free about six or seven years ago. I do buy paint there because it's cheap.

I do have some Coach shoes and bags and some Sketchers made in China, sorry but I love them.

I still have the Tony Lama boots DH bought me for my 19th birthday.

The Ralph Lauren stuff from China is mostly silk which I din't own, no need/not hot enough to wear here. That's pretty much my wardrobe staple with some Bean in the mix.

For ranch duty I buy used Levi's on ebay, most of which is nice enough to wear to town. My London Sole flats are like new and will last forever, I have four pairs.

When riding boots made a comeback I bought a pair of Marlborough Imperials on ebay. They were like new. I always get a hankering for a riding crop when I wear them, and sometimes in a German accent I will tease the guy at the liquor store and call him svinehund. He turns beet red but the smile is priceless.

My mother said she didn't like the twenty year old distressed leather bomber jacket I was wearing the last time she was here. For my birthday I bought a Schott cafe racer. (I told DH it was his gift to me. Every year he lovingly asks me what he got me for my birthday.) The bomber is going to the coat drive.

Sorry so long, the fashionista does not fall far from the tree. Mom has a dozen pairs of Lucchesse boots. And she lives in south Florida LMAO!!!!!

It's a dry TV night, we are watching Down East Dickering. Mainers are priceless, the frugal kings.

Have a great night all, and thanks for sharing. We have great taste!

Last edited by CCc girl; 11-08-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 02:56 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
I'm so old I remember when the rainbow only came in black and white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
On our televisions it surely only came in black and white!

Still enjoy B&W films and it didn't occur to me, til recently, that subsequent generations have no clue what it is like to have only B&W films and televisions. I asked my son about it and he said it wasn't "strange" to him as there were B&W films on TV when he was growing up - but that he couldn't imagine being limited to B&W 24/7.
Yes ... I hear you!

Remember, before the peacock, the NBS mascot was the penguin?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement