U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 03:17 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,357,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Remember, before the peacock, the NBS mascot was the penguin?!
Remember when TV went to sleep for the night ...
Chat Thread-tv-test-pattern.jpg

Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Remember when TV went to sleep for the night ...
Attachment 139038
Oops ... I meant NBC, not NBS ... typo ...

I always wondered by they included a picture of an Indian chief on the TV test pattern?

Old 11-10-2014, 05:53 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
I do indeed remember when TV only came in b & w and went to sleep late at night. I think I was in my first year of college (1968) before my dad bought a color set. However, I grew up on Long Island so we had lots of stations - the three networks, 2 independents if memory serves, or maybe even three and then a PBS station too. Getting up off the couch every time you wanted to change the channel - so much work! LOL. If I had cable or a dish I could now have access to several hundred channels but there's not enough to interest me in paying for the few shows I'd want to watch.

On the other hand my unplanned stop at the library yesterday yielded 6 books for my entertainment, just fiction this time around. We've got a few days of rather nice weather and I must get a few last outdoor chores done while I have the chance so the reading will have to be limited to after dark. I know it won't be long before the cold and snow are upon us and I'll want to do nothing but hunker down with a good book or six and a quick trip to the mailbox at the end of the driveway will be as much outdoor activity as I want.

When at the dollar store I recalled the mention here of 100 watt incandescent bulbs and they had a few left so I bought four even though I am slowly converting over to dimmable LEDs for the most part. The first one I bought was $20 but recently I got a 3pack at Costco for that same amount so they really have come down in price.

It's time for me to fix breakfast for the critters, get dressed to work boots and be productive.

Have a good day all.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
LOL I remember as a toddler my dad had a job repairing televisions.

These days you take something in for repair and they say it can't be done. That's what the John Deere dealer told us about a chainsaw we brought them.

Rubbish, I ordered the part online after DH and his BFF tore it apart and they had it up and running in no time.

I have a hoard of 100w incandescents up in the barn, prob around fifty or so

I feel your pain, Zugor, the next three days will be heavenly and then the polar vortex returns. Blech.

Yesterday we got out and gassed up the plow truck, Sea Foamed and Heet treated all the fuel tanks in the vehicles. Parked and covered the backhoe for the winter.

I am really pleased that my hoarding of supplies is going to pay off. I've got eight gallons of bleach stashed for chlorinating the water for the horses. I'd say now that I have at minimum of four weeks supply for man and beast. Winter be damned. I've never been this ready before. Have at it.

Carpe Diem!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:47 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Bought a flat screen for my bedroom 6 years or so ago. Got it at a big bargain price of around $500. Saw the same TV advertised last week for $199.00.

I am having trouble finding decent linens and sheets. Thank God I am into vintage items and inherited fine linens as well as collected them - b/c I can't find decent stuff on the market these days. I have found some towels made in Turkey and Egypt that I liked. Most of the brand names that I was used to buying here in NC at textile mill outlets were sold to Chinese companies back in the 90s to mid 2000s. So what you THINK is a "reputable" brand name is just junk.

I have bought brand name clothing made in Thailand and Viet Nam. Depressing. I worry about it being a sweat shop situation (wh/ I know - supposedly that isn't happening but . . . ). I am glad I have nice stuff I have hung onto b/c so much of the leather goods are now made in China. No thank you. I will buy leather goods made in Brazil and sometimes, Spain (but I have seen a lot of cheap stuff coming out of Spain in the last decade).

What gets me is food that is labeled with the company's headquarter's location - not where the substances actually originated. I was disgusted several years ago when I noticed peaches in glass jars from Dole - and then read the label and it said Product of China. With pollution as it is in China, why would I want to eat peaches grown in their soil? Bleeehh. Same for shrimp.

It is increasingly difficult to find anything made in America b/c nothing much is made here any longer. That should be of big concern to every person living here, as those are the jobs that this country was built upon. You can't tell me we have a thriving economy when we don't even make our own goods and grow our own food.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

What gets me is food that is labeled with the company's headquarter's location - not where the substances actually originated. I was disgusted several years ago when I noticed peaches in glass jars from Dole - and then read the label and it said Product of China. With pollution as it is in China, why would I want to eat peaches grown in their soil? Bleeehh. Same for shrimp.
Beware especially of farm-raised fish from China. Bad enough that the fish is farm-raised (antibiotics, dioxin, pesticides) but worse that it's from China. I have to read the labels even in pricey Whole Foods. I picked up a package of frozen corn a few years ago and saw that it was from China! To ship these products here under refrigeration is insanity! No wonder our food prices are so high, nothing's local anymore.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:22 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I am having trouble finding decent linens and sheets. Thank God I am into vintage items and inherited fine linens as well as collected them - b/c I can't find decent stuff on the market these days. I have found some towels made in Turkey and Egypt that I liked. Most of the brand names that I was used to buying here in NC at textile mill outlets were sold to Chinese companies back in the 90s to mid 2000s. So what you THINK is a "reputable" brand name is just junk.
I have looked high and low, online and in stores, for the quality bed sheets of yesteryear...heavy, cool, crisp 100% cotton. Absolutely nothing but crap! The closest thing I could find is Wamsutta "cool touch" all cotton sheets. Not the same quality/weight, but almost the same feel.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
negirl, not even at LL Bean? Maybe try the Vermont Country Store? Personally I like the Hotel line of linens, but I haven't bought any recently, the ones I have are over five years old and still like new.

When I heard about warnings on Chinese garlic I then made it a point to read labels! I won't eat imported produce, they use DDT that was banned here in the seventies in South America I am told. No thanks.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
We usually grow and can or freeze our vegetables, raise chickens for meat and eggs and barter eggs for milk. It's an eye-opener to run out of things & realize how expensive they are. I'd never thought to check where food is made but I sure will now. China? Really?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
I got all of the canned goods out of the garage and in to the house. My first winter here I learned the hard way that a can of diced tomatoes with lots of liquid may burst if left to freeze. I just didn't think it though. DUH!

I also mowed the first 150' of the back yard, only about 50' to the fence line not done but the grass is much sparser there so it's not so critical. I also got most of the front yard done and hopefully will get the rest done tomorrow. The angle that my right leg is at when my foot is on the pedal is bad for my knee so I limit the time I spend mowing to a couple of hours at most.

The new dog, Boca, and I have obedience class this afternoon and the darn dog has not gone out and practiced at all, even though I told him to do so while I went to town yesterday. Bad dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement