U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times

Advertisements

Bummer, zugor, although like you said it could have been much worse. Can you crate him next time?

Congrats on getting that door done. We looked into having one on our workshop and the quotes for the door-manual, mind you- were for 600 dollars and up. Needless to say we built wood double Dutch doors.

MMoB, the cold blast isn't going to affect you all that far south. Mom is loving those eighties temps, though.

Like the Jews say 'Next year in Israel' every Passover, I say to myself every day, 'Next year in Florida.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:35 AM

8,309 posts, read 12,066,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
MMoB, the cold blast isn't going to affect you all that far south. Mom is loving those eighties temps, though.

Like the Jews say 'Next year in Israel' every Passover, I say to myself every day, 'Next year in Florida.'
LOL

Or at least, next winter in Florida, right?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 AM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
The high here Sunday was 63; on Tuesday it was 3. There's about 3'' of snow on the ground, pure powder with blazing sunshine and no wind here. I got out my cross country skis and boots; it was great. I skied down to the road and got my mail gliding all the way. Coming back was just slightly uphill but easy. I wouldn't have needed metal edges on my skis at all. I'm going out again in a while. This could be the best snow of the year.

The mountains are beautiful. I'm looking across the canyon as I write. Summer and winter scenery are different; I don't know which is better.

What's the difference between Wyoming and Heaven?

You have to be dead to go to Heaven.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Oh, no. The house is bought, DH is finally 'getting it' that the move is happening. Move date is day after Labor Day 2015. No coming back.

I don't care if I have to buy an ambulance and move him on a gurney with a morphine drip, it's going to happen, and I've made that clear. Fortunately, he sees it as being good for the animals; after last winter we are done with the cold.

The climate there will be much kinder to us and our senior horses. They are 19 now. Horses live to 30, so that means they are around 65 in human years.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM

{{{{{{{{HiW}}}}}}}} look at you, skiing on those new hips! Do the dogs go with you? Do they have little booties like in Alaska?

I haven't forgotten you on that BP pistol, I'm just waiting for the chance to grab it without DH noticing.........I know, bad, bad wifey.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I was gone to town for two hours yesterday and the new dog, who has done OK with me being gone had a bit of a meltdown and his separation anxiety got the best of him. He ripped open a box that had a new Coleman one burner stove, chewed a small gash in the door molding and managed to completely remove the door stop strip. It could have been much worse I suppose - totally destroying the nine foot couch in the sunroom, tearing in to the books on the lower shelves of 3 bookcases, etc. I wish I knew why he had a difficult time yesterday when he has done fine for somewhat longer amounts of time in the past.
Try to be calm and relaxed. Sit quietly or even lie down. The best thing will be if he comes to you on his own. They love us and miss us. You're his new glorious pack leader and he's afraid of losing you.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 AM

I just received a robo call from 954-826-6894, caller states the IRS is filing a lawsuit aganst me and I should call 202-464-2556.

The call from number is a taxi service in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

The call to number comes up as Washington, DC. One Google result:

https://www.callercenter.com/202-464-2556.html

Old 11-13-2014, 02:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,019,496 times
My ex-MIL passed away this afternoon. She had been ill for about two weeks and in hospice since Mon. She was always a very kind lady

Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
{{{{{{{{HiW}}}}}}}} look at you, skiing on those new hips! Do the dogs go with you? Do they have little booties like in Alaska?

I haven't forgotten you on that BP pistol, I'm just waiting for the chance to grab it without DH noticing.........I know, bad, bad wifey.
Sadly, I lost my old dog April 23. My young one (ten) has been lost without him. She's become timid to the point that she didn't even bark at the UPS man until this week. She ran from my neighbor's dog instead of running to play. I'm afraid to get her a canine playmate because she's so submissive. She has her kitty and he follows her around; he used to follow the old one.

She didn't need boots today because the snow was powder. What bothers dogs is icy snow that gets between their toes. She did wear her sweater because she gets cold. My old one was a mass of fur; he never got cold, but his feet were more sensitive so he often wore boots.

The hips are working fine, but I'm not allowed to make parallel turns so no more Alpine skiing. I can Telemark, but I much prefer the Christy. Oh well, I can walk; that's what matters. If I ever get to Glenwood Springs, Colorado in the winter again I'll go to Sunlight. There's a 6.2 mile green that allows broad turns. That should be OK, but for anything else I'd have to stick to the good old snowplow.

My wife used to give me guns. She always included one or two little pocket guns as stocking stuffers. Yes, we hung up our stockings. That way we had presents both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. My wife told me that Santa was the most generous when she was about six and left him a glass of whiskey rather than cookies.

Get out there and play in the snow. This may be your last White Christmas.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,205,973 times
I'm very happy to report that I went out to dinner with a friend this evening and Boca, the dog, did just fine this time. I think he was a bit anxious but did not reach the point of destructive behavior. My friend mentioned that it is hunting season and perhaps there was someone hunting close by and that may have been what had him feeling more stressed. I do know that he is a bit thunder phobic and that gunshots often produce the same fear as thunder in many dogs.

Dinner was at a fairly new place in town, Fat Spoon and it was good. It's nice to have more options, even though I don't eat out all that often. Heading home at 7 pm the time and temp sign said it was 18 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement