U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 09:37 PM

22,606 posts, read 12,471,520 times

Advertisements

Where I live it got really chilly earlier in the week ... dropping down into the 30's ... I brought in my tropical plants from the porch to the inside just in the nick of time. Outside, my angel wing begonias just froze and shriveled up overnight.

To day was nicer ... very sunny and mid-40's.

On Thursdays I go to my men's 55+ group. I wore woolen slacks, a red and gray checkered shirt with button-down collar, a black, gray and soft blue cashmere argyle patterned v-neck sweater and my "professor's" gray tweed jacket with leather elbow patches. Oh and a grey tweed "newsboy's" cap. Very British and yet very Ivy League (I work at an Ivy League university). The guys expect me to look dapper. I have a reputation for dressing well and I have to live up to it.

Last edited by Clark Park; 11-20-2014 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: "plants" ... not "pants" ! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,417,197 times
LOL meo, I actually donated all our thermals years ago, too bulky and itchy. Thanks for the offer, you're very kind!

Another dusting and a brisk 20F out. It still doesn't feel that bad.

Clark, I am so glad you uphold your classy wardrobe. Too many people just don't put in the effort anymore.

Wondering what color bag to change to, the orange Prada is for Halloween and it's time to change out......

Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM

30,032 posts, read 35,201,741 times
Upper 80's if not 90 and as always very humid here. A little rain at night with the occasional 30 second shower during the day. What clouds there are, beautiful and a brake from the sun. What a great week to be in Aruba and away from the cold.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 AM

20,107 posts, read 20,216,704 times
Where the rest of us are, no matter how unpleasant, it's probably better than being in Buffalo.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 AM

22,606 posts, read 12,471,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Clark, I am so glad you uphold your classy wardrobe. Too many people just don't put in the effort anymore.
Honestly, I find it very therapeutic to dress well and look as good as I can. You see, I'm rather short - 5' 7 1/2" - and my two older brothers and my father were taller and much handsomer men, so self image and self esteem was an issue for me. When I lost some weight several years ago (I still go to the gym regularly) I discovered I was in much better shape than most men my age and I still have almost all of my thick curly hair (lots of gray though). Besides I now have the spending money to treat myself to nice clothes and shoes.

Guys: if you're interested in dressing well in a conservative and classic style I suggest going to Facebook and checking out a group called Gentleman's Gazette. You were learn everything from the difference between a Harris tweed and a Donegal Tweed, if you can wear Oxford brown shoes with a gray suit, how to tie a scarf or fold a pocket square and what precise instructions you must give your tailor when having a Bespoke suit made.

For us fellows over 50 I think it is crucial one pays close attention to grooming. We mature guys have new issues: nostril hair, ear hair, bushy eyebrows, dry skin, yellowing teeth, etc. that must be addressed!

Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Ah, Tuborg, enjoy paradise

OMG those poor folks in Buffalo, the Thruway from Tovhester to Buffalo remained closed this morning......yikes

CP keep holding up those standards. Check out Unabashedly Prep. I can't wait to go southern belle prep in Florida next year. Ah, yo be wearing my Jack Rogers for six months at a time instead of Bean boots

Old 11-21-2014, 11:58 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,920,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

For us fellows over 50 I think it is crucial one pays close attention to grooming. We mature guys have new issues: nostril hair, ear hair, bushy eyebrows, dry skin, yellowing teeth, etc. that must be addressed!
Quite true, although there is still a lot of individual variation. Of your five items, I have three at age 70: nostril hair, ear hair, and yellowing teeth. (I count myself lucky that bushy eyebrows and dry skin have not yet made their appearance). About twenty years ago, I used a tooth-whitening system provided by my dentist which worked pretty well and I find that occasional use of a whitening toothpaste plus regular professional cleanings every three months do the trick.

I find that trimming the nostril and ear hair once every ten days does the trick for me, but that frequency didn't used to be quite as often, and I wouldn't be surprised if some men needed a greater frequency. After all, our beards do not grow at the same rate.

I agree we older guys need to pay close attention to such things. I remember an uncle, now deceased, who let the nostril and ear hair go in his early 80's and it was very off-putting. Yet it's a pretty simple matter to keep up with, really; it seems to me motivation is the only requirement, as the time requirement is minimal.

I remember some time ago starting a thread with a poll asking retired men if they still shaved every day. Of course the responses were all over the map. I shave every day if I am meeting the public in a semi-official capacity, such as in my volunteer work, but I sometimes let it go two or three days if not. Who's going to mind? Not a few gas station or grocery store cashiers and probably not a few neighbors either - the latter see me clean-shaven more often than not. Even going to lunch with a friend or two rates a shave with me.

I would suspect you are more meticulous with your shaving, based on your comments.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:59 PM

LOL you two, I remember old Poppy, my grandfather. The ear hair king. It;s not that it looked so bad but the SMELL! I think he did it to PO my grandmother.

I wonder how many older gals would respond to the shaving thing.......if I'm going to the feed store then day old legs (in pants, mind you) are okay with me. To the metropolis for a day of shopping and nails? Only a waxer would know I used a blade. Plus, I would rather the EMT's not have any reason to hesitiate. Nothing says save me like clean undies and a matching bra.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:10 AM

9,657 posts, read 11,107,102 times
For those who love Christmas:

Do you remember the Cinnamon Bear? Did you listen to him faithfully every day?

The first time I heard it I was very young, but I loved it although the Wintergreen Witch terrified me. The last episode was Christmas Eve when we would be at my aunt's. I wanted so much to hear the last episode so when we got there I was pleased to see a radio sitting in the dining room. While we were eating our oyster stew Paddy O'Cinnamon held forth until the twins woke up in their own attic.

I was the only child in the midst of ten adults who had gifts for me; it was a very merry Christmas.

One of my gifts was a roly poly policeman just like the one in the story who would roll back upright from any position. He has graced the village under the tree ever since.

While we were gone Santa Claus had been to our home and left even more.

The Cinnamon Bear, Episode 1 - YouTube

Old 11-25-2014, 01:44 PM

I have never heard of the Cinnamon Bear! You have some lovely memories, HiW. Thanks for sharing.

Well, it's gloom and doom time here. Big storm coming. My BFF in Schenectady will get more snow than we will. (gloat)

Regardless, I did bring in that tarp that's been blowing around the back of the barn. Filled up two more buckets of sand. Dumped the water trough and refilled with fresh for the horsies.

We got our new propane heater installed in the shop on Sunday, DH's BFF stopped in and helped out.

Parked the rigs out of the way in case he has to plow. Threw the gas cans in the back of my rig, we have chiropractor tomorrow and will need to fill up anyway.

If the forecasters are right the storm will hit as we are on our way home from town. I loaded up on supplies so we could skip grocery shopping on Friday.

I hear you laughing, old_cold!

Get ready innewengland and ne_girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement