U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,649,675 times

Advertisements

I wish we could trade you some of our heat for some of your humidity. We're on wildfire watch again until the weekend ...

Old 11-26-2014, 11:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
Just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

However you are planning on spending your day, I hope it is a peaceful time of renewal for you.

For the caretakers, the sick, and those who have lost a loved one . . . sending special thoughts out to you. Holidays can be tough - be kind to yourselves.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-26-2014 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: left a word out!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
o_c, I love So Fla t-storms. Love them here, too. I think we've had thundersnow once, maybe twice.

Sorry about your firewatch, oddstray, I wish that on nobody.

We made it bacj from the chiropractor run unscathed. snow was just starting as we headed up the mountain back home.

DH was amazed, the beverage stores were mobbed at ten in the morning. I had to run in for eggnog and whiskey, he was whining that I hadn't bought eggnog. After two glasses he gets wicked heartburn. He never learns. But if it makes it a happy day then so be it. This will be the third Thanksgiving that my Mom and stepdad won't be here since stepdad passed. At least I have the joy of the memories........thanks, ani.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:27 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,218 times
The rain was really heavy here last night and the clouds are starting to break with some sunshine now. I took the grandkids down to the jetty to get rid of some energy. Big rolling waves and surfers were out on what is normally calm water. The g-kids were scrambling over the huge jetty rocks using much energy and are now both napping.

The security camera at the NY house has turned into a snow cam to watch outside as the snow adds up. There's a lot to be said for living vicariously.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
The first snowfall of the season is always magic, even for this old lady. This is the first year my grandkids (and many kids!) will really see snow and be able to touch it and roll around in it. They have sleds and snowsuits and all the rest. To be a kid again!

This first snow is soft and fluffy and wet, a lot like the snow in March or April. It looks like confectioners sugar coating the trees and evergreens. So far we have 4".

Snow always seems cool until New Year's. After that it gets progressively less impressive, esp in Feb and March. Right now I'm sitting next to the wood stove, just being a lump on a log, looking at the winter wonderland outside and counting my blessings this Thanksgiving. Despite some challenges this past year, I do feel awfully grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone ~

Old 11-26-2014, 04:06 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I wish we could trade you some of our heat for some of your humidity. We're on wildfire watch again until the weekend ...
Let me add my vote for this also

But they say it may rain by Sunday!
The newscasters are all in a tizzy and overwrought!

Wonder how much of a drizzle we'll get?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 PM

Had to bring the horses in when we got home, they let me brush off the snow on their backs with the broom. Sorta like clearing off your car. Except your car doesn't snort and eat hay

We've had eight inches of light fluffy stuff as of sunset. I have to concur with negirl, it sure is pretty. By February, it's dreary and no fun anymore.

Happy turkey, all; bless us all A pleasant night.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:55 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
A maiden who walked on the Corso
Displayed a great deal of her torso.
A crowd soon collected,
But no one objected,
And some were in favor of more so.

God's plan had a hopeful beginning,
But man ruined it all just by sinning.
We trust that this story
Will bring back God's glory,
But at the moment the other side's winning.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:47 PM

^^^ Amen!!!!!!!!!!

Turkey will be late, out plowing and shoveling for four hours. We got twelve inches.

More to ponder........

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

- Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia

State House, August 1, 1776.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
^^^ Amen!!!!!!!!!!

Turkey will be late, out plowing and shoveling for four hours. We got twelve inches.

More to ponder........

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

- Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia

State House, August 1, 1776.
Samuel Adams and John Hancock were strong proponents of independence and liberty. They supported later the Articles of Confederation and opposed the adoption of the constitution. Reading the Antifederalist Papers we can see continual warnings and misgivings about the dangers of a strong central government. We can also see that their most dire predictions have come to pass.

Everyone knows about the Federalist Papers, but few are aware that there was another side. The Kindle version is only ninety-nine cents. It makes a wonderful Christmas present for the thinking adult as well as for the bright young boy or girl who can think and put aside what the educational and entertainment establishments preach.

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Federalis...eralist+papers

************************************************** ***********************************

The temperature is 54 here; the high was 55. Winds at my place have been a steady thirty to forty miles per hour with gusts to sixty. The only snow on the ground is in the deepest shade in spots protected from the wind.

It feels exceedingly cold outside, but it's worth it to see summer brown instead of winter white.

I forgot lemons and strawberries the last time I was in town. If I go tomorrow, however, I have two poor choices: brave the crowds at Walmart or pay twice the price at Albertson's, the only other supermarket. I'll stay home; I have two lemons left and I can go without strawberries for a few more days. I went to the store a week ago so I'm well fixed.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 11-27-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement