U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Montana. Anyone else have a favorite they make? I've never actually made any but now have time to experiment & try different ideas.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:01 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
All done.
Bought stuff online, delivered to my door, wrapped, and mailed to relatives.
Friends are getting the home-made booze that I put in the closet to set up 3 and 4 months ago.
(Kahlua, Amaretto, Cran-Raspberry Liqueur, Strawberry Liqueur, Chocolate Liqueur, Peach Brandy, and Cherry Brandy!!)

I hate malls (and shopping) any time of year, LOL
Good gifts! I used to make Kahlua and Amaretto. I still have the recipes around somewhere but haven't made any in years.

Seeing your Peach Brandy made me smile. My dad and granddad made some one time and got Grandma tipsy! My teetotaling prohibition supporting Grandma! lol She had no idea and she was mad at them for a while.

I hate malls and shopping too. It's because I don't "shop" that I don't know where half the stuff is located in the store I spend 1/3 of my life in! The other day I was looking for a desk lamp. Had NO idea where they were but following logic finally found them. Pitiful.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:04 PM

8,764 posts, read 9,837,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
The only one of the home-made "booze" that I have made is CHERRY LIQUEUR.

Every year when the commerical harvest occurs of our Montana "Flathead Cherries" I buy about 12 pounds and use some for the Liqueur.....Harvest usually occurs about mid August (weather dependent).

....Any size glass container..(I use a (1) gallon glass container with a GOOD Screw on cap that won't leak.
.........Fill the container with un-pitted Flathead Montana Cherries--only fill to 80% full.
.........Then fill remaining space with CUBE White Sugar.
.........Then pour in 100 Proof Absolut Vodka to within 1/3 inch of top of container.
.........Screw the lid on TIGHT!!

Turn Upside/down and Set the containers in a dark corner of your pantry. Turn "upside/down again every 10 days" Until Thanksgiving!!!!! It is now ready to drink...........I know there are more complicated recipies, but this one is simple and results in a very acceptable Liqueur, IMHO..
That sounds good! Do you have to use that particular cherry or would another kind work as well?

Old 12-14-2014, 02:29 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Gand, where can I find recipes for your home made liquor?
Which ones do you want? I also have No-Bake Chocolate Kahlua Balls, Amaretto Brownies, Bailey's Irish Cream, Bailey’s Macadamia Nut Pie, Hot Buttered Rum Batter, Hot Buttered Rum Cow, Grand Orange-Cognac Liqueur (Grand Marnier), Plum Liqueur, Tangerine Brandy, Coconut Liquor, powdered Cappuccino mix, and powdered Swiss mocha mix

No, my friends and I do not have a drinking problem, LOL. But it sure is fun opening a bottle for the first time to see what it tastes like

Old 12-14-2014, 03:07 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Gand, I will take that Bailey's and Kahlua Ball recipes if you're willing to divulge

SoCal is a long drive, but by God it would be worth it!

Thank you MTGriz, I am planning on fruit trees when we move, mango liqueur!!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for the last giant iceberg on the roof to fall, it's a doozy.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:42 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,354,627 times
Hey, we got some Retirement Forum winners on the list just posted!
(October-November 2014 City-Data Forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
The winners are:
brightdoglover
goldenage1
gypsychic
Ivorytickler
jimj
kyle19125
lovesMountains
OhBeeHave
WyoNewk
yellowsnow

Congrats!

(CCc girl - check your DM's)

Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,169,159 times
Hey BDL and YS, congratulations!!! Are you taking us all out to dinner?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:06 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,482,829 times
Well, the "mystery" of the friendly orange stray cat that has been visiting my porch is over.

I put on my Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker cap and did some investigative work. It turns out "Tom" (I thought it was a female!) belongs to a neighbor who lives on the far end of the block. Yes, he lets his cat outside to roam around city streets full of people, cars, buses, trolleys, etc. I mentioned to the cat's owner that it's getting cold outside at night, but he replied that the cat could come inside whenever it wants to. I did not criticize him for letting the cat go outside because I'm very actively engaged in the neighborhood and I'll need his support for an upcoming zoning fight.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:27 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times
Dang, I'll never win......congrats to all that did, though!!!!!

Clark, that is so kind of you to watch out for all of your neighborhood residents. LOL, here, they show up, they get adopted.

Zoning fight? Do tell!

The berg finally fell off the roof, it's the size of a freaking double kitchen sink. Missed the bumper on my rig, though.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,576,860 times
Shoot Clark- I actually have the same problems with my brother's dogs. I love them both so much but I will not be staying here & they have to learn that they have a home. The big one looks scary & when she wants to be petted she growls. Tail is wagging but if you didn't know that, she would be scary. Mail deliver refuses to leave packages anymore & we have to go to town to get them.

I think I finally convinced my brother to put an add in the paper to give her a good home. All she needs is a lot of love & affection but I certainly couldn't keep her in an apartment.

I really wish sometimes animals didn't love me so much. I find more lost pets than anyone else I know. Sigh. And I love every one of them, but yes they are returned.

I should add that my brother's house is next door...In the country that means the next driveway.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-14-2014 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement