U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 12:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I think that's an awful idea. The poor old thing would feel totally abandoned by the folks who lovingly care for him/her all his life. He would never understand why, at this moment, in his elderly years, he is being thrown away to fend for himself. I truly hope you are kidding !!!
Exact thoughts.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You must have missed my original post.
Also I was speaking of when the time comes to put him down - when he's suffering and unable to fend for himself. I think taking them to the vet's office for euthanasia is barbaric: the car trip, the alien environment, the strange smells and sights. Our vet comes to the house.
Animals have feelings and experience fear and terror. Being picked up and taken away in the sky is a cruel end. A compassionate vet allows a pet owner to stay beside the animal, holding or stroking him/her while it is being given an injection. The animal feels the peace and love while dying. What is barbaric imo is encouraging a wild animal to abduct and kill a domestic animal. If it's a matter of saving money, many vets will allow you to pay on time. I wish I could come get your sweet cat and give him a loving end!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:31 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If it's a matter of saving money, many vets will allow you to pay on time. I wish I could come get your sweet cat and give him a loving end!
No worries - my sweet cat will go to sleep (via an injection to make him unconscious) on my lap, at home in our favorite chair. Then the vet will gently lift and move him to the next room to give him the final injection. We did this with our last 2 cats, ages 19 and 15.

Once they turn about 12 years old, we quit taking them to the vet's office because he does house calls for everything short of surgery and x-ray. Luckily none of ours has ever needed those. If, as planned, we foster senior cats, they'll get the same pampering.

As a human, I'd LOVE to have the same treatment, i.e., house calls for treatment and finally gentle euthanasia at home when the time comes.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Thanks, all, I did enter, but I know I probably won't ever win.....okay by me, that's not why I am here.

I agree, biscuitmom, we humans should be so lucky to be given a quiet end.

Here they die peacefully at their home, in their beds. One by one the others comfort and say goodbye. The elder cat usually chooses their spot, after the goodbyes are said they fade away peacefully. Even though there are movements their minds and spirit are far away. We go about our day so they are surrounded with everyday sounds, the TV on low, me puttering around, DH talking softly to the others.

My vet is an azzhoe. He stopped doing horses years ago because there's more money in small animals. No small vet will come this far.

Also, the terrifying forty five minute ride to a hospital that's abound with barking, growling, howling and crying animals would be agony. To be laid on a cold steel table surrounded by infamiliarity is just cruel, IMO.

When we had to put our black angus ox down, I sent DH off to work because he couldn't handle it well.

I sat down on the ground in his corral and cradled his enormous head in my lap while the injections were given.

My neighbor, the same one who scooped out my drive with his front end loader, got in our backhoe and dug the grave, then gently placed him in it as I worked the big lifting straps. He was just putting the finishing touches on the grave, smoothing the dirt, when DH got home. I was glad DH wasn't there to see it. He still loses it when one goes.

When I bury the cats in the cemetery, I look to the sky and say, 'ride now on the backs of the Valkyries, to the Summerland go free. No pain or suffering, I will remember the joy.'

No tears much anymore, I am thankful for the good years we had, not the ones percieved as taken away.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
No worries - my sweet cat will go to sleep (via an injection to make him unconscious) on my lap, at home in our favorite chair. Then the vet will gently lift and move him to the next room to give him the final injection. We did this with our last 2 cats, ages 19 and 15.
That's a relief to hear, so you were kidding after all!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
That's a relief to hear, so you were kidding after all!
Good grief. I hope so.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:57 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
If we let cats out where I live, unfortunately the coyotes get them
Yikes!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,484,853 times
I find it very pleasant and comforting for folks here to talk about death ... even in context of a beloved pet.

Of course we all have to die.

I always say that the experience of seeing our grandparents and their siblings die, then that of our parents and their siblings, and finally members of our own generation pass away one by one is a positive learning experience - it helps us prepare for our own demise.

Growing old is a privilege. It is not afforded to everyone.

To paraphrase Walt Whitman, if you want to find me look at the dust on the soles of your shoes ... every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:55 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
It has been a long and difficult journey, from feeling robbed and heart torn out, to appreciating what we had and remembering the happiness.

I remember when I lost my first cat when I was a kid; mom had two things she would always say.

"When it's time, it's time.'

'Would you trade the pain of loss for never knowing the love?"

<3

Old 12-16-2014, 05:35 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
I would cry for my cat, but he's only a year old. He was supposed to be a barn cat, but he clung to me & was crying so hard that I begged my sister to let him be a house cat.

With my dog, someone poisoned him. I didn't realize until it was too late & by the time I knew I had to bring him to the vet, it was too late. He had been with me for 7 years & was an extremely loving dog. The cat I have now is the first pet I've had since then, about three years ago. He's a little lover too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement