U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,573,664 times

Advertisements

Gand ! Thank you. It's not going to be rubic, but Rubin, a friend of my father's who treasured me. Thank you. I have such good memories of his visits that it will be a special name association. Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Then what, prey tell, are they eating? (pun intended )
.....In this area:......owls eat rabbits & pine squirrels; eagles eat fish out of our B.R. River & hawks; hawks eat ground squirrels & prairie dogs; coyotes eat rabbits, ground squirrels & prarie dogs and the wolves eat the coyotes

Old 12-20-2014, 12:17 AM

10,849 posts, read 8,193,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.....In this area:......owls eat rabbits & pine squirrels; eagles eat fish out of our B.R. River & hawks; hawks eat ground squirrels & prairie dogs; coyotes eat rabbits, ground squirrels & prarie dogs and the wolves eat the coyotes
I'm impressed that the predators in your area are environmentally sensitive. Squirrels, rabbits, and fish are abundant here in North TX, yet hawks and coyotes stubbornly continue to prey on songbirds, doves, quail, and assorted cute baby fowl and critters. Any suggestions on how to educate them to be more selective?

Old 12-20-2014, 12:56 AM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
While coyotes are opportunistic predators their main prey everywhere is the mouse. A couple of years ago during a summer of very hot and dry weather I observed no coyotes in my immediate area. The mouse population exploded; I couldn't go outside at dusk or later without seeing one or more. After a few months the temperatures cooled and the mouse population went down. The area was certainly overpopulated, but we also noted the appearance of the ermine, a very efficient hunter. The population of good old Canis latrans slowly rebuilt itself as more moved into the area for the winter.

Bald Eagles eat primarily fish but are willing to eat anything small enough that presents no danger including lambs (a few confirmed instances) heavier than twenty pounds. Interestingly, I've seen eagles feeding on carrion close to my home although I'm only a short distance from a river. The Bald Eagle is an apex predator having no natural predators. However, Indians and poachers supplying Indians kill many for their feathers.

Wolves are apex predators in most of their range. The only animal that regularly preys on them is the tiger. They prefer large game and generally hunt weak individuals. Wolves do attack and kill coyotes, even digging up their dens, but seldom eat them. The likely cause is the wolf's territoriality.

The domestic cat can become a problem for bird populations when there are no other predators, but those situations are becoming less and less common. For example, inside the city of Denver the population of pet cats has seen a dramatic reduction in the past twenty years; this is attributed to the expanding population of fox and raccoon. They cannot survive in most rural areas except around dwellings. The small domestic cat is rarely the apex predator. As prey they're in about the same position as a rabbit. Historically, cats displaying neoteny in both physical appearance and behavior have been the most likely to receive human care and are consequently the most likely individuals to breed. It's almost certainly the case with the wolf as well which explains the difference in behavior between the dog and other subspecies of the wolf.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 12,066,303 times
I wonder if all of these people wringing their collective hands over the prospect of animals hunting and killing other animals have these same philosophical discussions while they themselves are dressed in camouflage awaiting their chance to kill some unsuspecting animal themselves, or if they have these discussions at the dinner table while cutting into their venison, cow, pig, chicken, duck, etc.?

Old 12-20-2014, 10:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,422,001 times
LMAO you all, I believe I'm one of the youngest ones here, and Tonto's horse's name was

Scout

The Lone Ranger's horse's name was Silver.

The Lone Ranger's nephew, Dan Reed, rode Silver's son, Victor.

I do all of my hunting and fishing at Hannaford market........

Old 12-20-2014, 11:32 AM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I do all of my hunting and fishing at Hannaford market........
I didn't even know that there was a discussion taking place on this thread about hunting or fishing. Are these posts hidden from me for some reason? I thought that we were only talking about relationships of a few particular species with other species. You must note this where you live since you're in the country. I bet that when you move to Florida you'll see precisely the same relationships, probably with related species in most cases. It surprises many people when I tell them that this is one of the primary breeding grounds for the American White Pelican. Migratory birds, they range from the Gulf Coast to South America during the winter but spend their summers in interior North America.

They seem to feed exclusively on fish and other aquatic animals catching them while swimming; they do not dive to catch their prey. They congregate on the river early in the season where I've seen thirty or more clustered on a sandbar. As the season progresses, they move my nearby river to a lake a few miles away. They're truly spectacular to watch in low flight as they rival the trumpeter swan as the largest bird in North America.

Nests as well as young birds are subject to predation by both mammals and other birds.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I wonder if all of these people wringing their collective hands over the prospect of animals hunting and killing other animals have these same philosophical discussions while they themselves are dressed in camouflage awaiting their chance to kill some unsuspecting animal themselves, or if they have these discussions at the dinner table while cutting into their venison, cow, pig, chicken, duck, etc.?
Those on the Paleo (hunter) diet have to go out and kill their dinner in the natural world. It's a predatory world after all.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:09 PM

10,849 posts, read 8,193,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Who's wringing hands? It's the cycle of life, and an interesting topic for discussion.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:23 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,739,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I didn't even know that there was a discussion taking place on this thread about hunting or fishing. Are these posts hidden from me for some reason? I thought that we were only talking about relationships of a few particular species with other species. You must note this where you live since you're in the country. I bet that when you move to Florida you'll see precisely the same relationships, probably with related species in most cases. It surprises many people when I tell them that this is one of the primary breeding grounds for the American White Pelican. Migratory birds, they range from the Gulf Coast to South America during the winter but spend their summers in interior North America.

They seem to feed exclusively on fish and other aquatic animals catching them while swimming; they do not dive to catch their prey. They congregate on the river early in the season where I've seen thirty or more clustered on a sandbar. As the season progresses, they move my nearby river to a lake a few miles away. They're truly spectacular to watch in low flight as they rival the trumpeter swan as the largest bird in North America.

Nests as well as young birds are subject to predation by both mammals and other birds.

Interesting! I had no idea white Pelicans breed in the interior during the summer.

In New York I have many songbirds and see some predatory birds. In FL there are a few songbirds and many more predators. I've had osprey in the live oak out front and great herons, white herons, wood headed storks and ibis on my back patio, they like the smell of food. There are vultures that take care of the roadkill and laying on my back outside one afternoon watching the sky, I counted 27 hawks riding the thermals.
The majority of birds here (at least the ones I see) eat other animals, not bird seed.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-20-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement