U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,613,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I wear CuddleDuds (nice long underwear for women) day and night. I have 5 pair, one of the best investments ever for living north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Hey! I will have to look into this - I look really stupid when I go out with my dogs - not at all~~chique
Same here. I wear the base layer called PolarMax Maxride (made in America, BTW), both top and bottom, day and night. At night, it serves as pajamas. In the day time, it keeps me warm but not sweaty. On top of that, I wear jeans and sweater of my own knitwear so the wool is of my control -- and I only stay with very lightweight but very warm fibers (cashmere, alpaca, llama, merino, and camel.) Nothing bulky at all. When we are outside, I put on a coat, scarf, hat, and gloves. We have never reached -35, but hovered at -17 a few times last month, and I did not need more clothing than that.

I bought the PolarMax from sporting stores since the price is between $5 and $10 lower than from the website.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 01-31-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 AM

9,668 posts, read 11,127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Now Wyoming - what's with the "grow up"? It sounds like you were very successful at your job and felt very rewarded. That's a good thing. Perhaps you need to find something that will give you that same feeling. Only you know what that might be. Do you have a lady friend? Do you want one? If you do, have you tried the online dating thing?
I have no interest whatsoever in a "lady friend". My wife who died in 2005 was, is, and shall always be my only love. I sorely miss her.

I own a business. It in no way defines me but I do feel good when I make money.

"Grow up' means simply to accept what is, old age. Deal with it as best you can but accept it. I'm so sick of reading a veritable cornucopia of encomia of old age. No sane person prefers age to youth but they pretend, oh they pretend. Falsehoods are traitors to the spirit. Truth and reality are congenial and honest companions at any age.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 AM

6,715 posts, read 8,253,136 times
If you want to be happy, don't look analytically back at your past life, comparing it to the present/future. Only look forward. You know your past life was basically good. You are the same person. Accept that your future life will be basically good.

One benefit of older age is that you have learned ways to minimize the physical effects of growing older.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am working on a mixed media series of art pieces, and I am so excited about my plans. It may suck, (I may fail!) but it is going to be great fun attempting what I have in mind. At this stage of life, I don't have to do what others expect me to do--no one really cares what I do, lol. I have already proven myself professionally, so it is now a matter of just pleasing myself.
Ani, didn't know you are an artist. Post a piece! For me, having been involved in the arts all my life (as a paid administrator and fundraiser, and as an artist and writer), these creative endeavors cross all age boundaries and keep us forever young, even if we're hobbling along on a cane. One of my literary heroes is Henry Miller, who was young all his life. Though he is a famous writer, my favorite book of his is "To Paint is to Love Again." It may be out of print, but you may find copies in university/college libraries. He wasn't stellar at painting, but he had a blast. He was roller skating through his apt. in his old age. Here's a funny 1978 interview with his ideas on retirement: A Feisty 86, Henry Miller Writes His Own Epitaph: 'I Beat Those Bastards!' : People.com

Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
I'm looking forward to the warming trend that we have coming. Not balmy by any means but not highs in the teens with strong winds to really add to the chill factor.

I had a black and tan coon hound in short term foster care for just three days. She went on transport today and while she was very sweet it was hard keeping her isolated from my dogs since the temps were so low. I could not keep her in run out in the shed. She was emaciated, only weighing 36.4 pounds when she should have been about 65 - 70 pounds and had zero body fat to help insulate her so I had her in the house with my own 3 and 2 other foster dogs.

I'll probably pull either a Newfie or a Husky from the pound on Monday and either of those can do just fine in the run with their thick coats, sufficient weight and warming temps outside.

Went for another session with the wonderful woman who does body work and it seems to be helping my frozen shoulder. I'm very tired of being in round the clock discomfort from this darn thing and hoping that her work will help speed up the healing process.

The extra cold weather had me spending a lot of time reading and one book that I found most interesting was The Wolf in the Parlor by Jon Franklin. He explores the relationship of humans and dogs and the evolution of the dog from the wolf.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,613,123 times
Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow today, so spring is on the way. Here in the mountains of CA, we already have spring in February. It's 55 yesterday with beautiful sunshine and soft breeze, 50 today with crisp and clean air, and the temperature will continue in the range of high 40 to low 50 for next week. Last February, we had an accumulation of 4 ft of snow for the month. This week, husband and I are down to our shirtsleeves on our daily walk.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,041,543 times
Okay....sign me up for a "Jitterbug", I got a new phone, Galaxy S3, I cant even figure out how to answer it.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
This thread makes me laugh and brightens my day. It's truly like an old folks home, with everyone talking about different subjects at once as if they were talking past each other. You never know what topic you're gonna read from one post to the next. It's like an existential play.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
This thread serves a great purpose in that manner.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
It's like a free for all minus the serious, often hurtful, religious and political attacks. Actually, it's usually minus any personal attacks at all, just a free for all. You never know what we'll be yakking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement