U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,164,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Yeah, because all of us "old people" know NOTHING AT ALL about technology! LOL!
I think the article was aimed at really old folks, like our parents. I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 11:49 AM

9,664 posts, read 11,118,048 times
Older generations are the ones that pioneered electronic technologies. I haven't watched television since 1955. I haven't rejected the technology; I've rejected the content. Today, I do use youtube because that website is a vast repository of interesting information. I can watch content ranging from Balisong performances to university class lectures to tutorials on roasting coffee.

One of my favorites for relaxation and preparation for sleep is soporific Joe Rader with his Balisongs.

There are so many things online. The folks in the Arabian Peninsula chapter of al-Quaeda, for example, are posting a color magazine in many languages including English. It's more than a little interesting. The first issue has a neat article on bombs anyone can make.

Who wants to watch a sports hero with a brain the size of a pea? Not this warbaby; that's for sure.

Let's not forget that there are still books for a few of us.

Complete Inspire Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) Magazine | Public Intelligence

Now, here's some vintage Joe Rader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrmoHFuHpvA

Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,423,871 times
Thanks for the winterization info, all; I guess I'll figure it out when we get there.

All my old folks are pretty savvy tech wise; even Uncle Jack who worked on computers for IBM back in the day when they filled an entire room is on his laptop daily.

I'm very interested in getting rid of cable down south but I don't want to give up my local over the air channels, so dunno how that will work.

I was thinking of bluetoothing my laptop to my TV so I can ditch the DVD player (broken, we wore the dang thing out) and watch my DVD's that way. I think a Chromestick can do it.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:02 PM

10,849 posts, read 8,196,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I was thinking of bluetoothing my laptop to my TV so I can ditch the DVD player (broken, we wore the dang thing out) and watch my DVD's that way. I think a Chromestick can do it.
I assume you mean a Chromecast? It's for streaming online video, not for playing DVD's. If you want to play a DVD and watch it via a Chromecast, you can't do so directly; you first have to convert the DVD to MP4 format. From what I hear, the result is not always satisfactory.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM

WOW biscuitmom, thank you! Methinks a geek hides behind the biscuits

I wonder if I could install a wireless LAN to it LOL; I really haven't looked into it much. Waiting to move before redoing all the tech stuff.

OMG I went up to bring the horses in, got to the top of the back stairs, and saw hoofprints everywhere!

Oh, my, they went on tour! All around the back corral, the side corral, over to the apple tree, way up east past the sattelite dishes.

I got up to the barn and was greeted by two horse's asses! The snuck into the hay room and were munching out like two stoners at a 7-11!

They went in their stalls without issue and I quickly followed the tracks to see where the escape ocurred. The winds yesterday took out a few of the 'temporary' fence posts (the plastic ones you drive into the ground with your foot).

So I grabbed the roll of fence wire and strung up two lines to seal their lower corral off from the big field up top. Hopefully no more escapees!

I gotta post some pics for you all....off to figure out how to do the big ones.....

Old 01-06-2015, 03:04 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,133,229 times
Well it was a beautiful day today..65 and sunny. I was outside from 11am on raking and shredding leaves.
Got next year's compost pile off to a good start and got new beds set up for gardening.

Alas there's just not enough hours in this nice day to get everything I wanted to get done done.
One nice day every 2 weeks is going to have me still shredding leaves come next June !!!

Old 01-06-2015, 03:05 PM

Old 01-06-2015, 03:06 PM

8,092 posts, read 13,353,017 times
Quote:
munching out like two stoners at a 7-11!
You have quite a way with the phrases, LOL.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:07 PM

Old 01-06-2015, 03:08 PM

LOL Gand, the funniest things in life are the true ones......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement