U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 PM

10,851 posts, read 8,203,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thanks Bmom, are those gadgets for movies only?
Roku, Chromecast, and Fire Stick can all be used to watch any internet streaming video from providers like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and Hulu. That would include TV shows as well as movies. If the online provider is one like Amazon or Netflix or HuluPlus that requires a fee-paid subscription, then you still have to sign up and pay for those. Just owning a device doesn't grant you the right to watch everything for free.

Actually both Netflix and Amazon offer high-quality TV series that are available only through streaming. These include Emmy-nominated popular shows like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Alpha House, and Transparent.

Cable is in its death throes. Internet streaming is to cable, what cable was to network TV back in the 80s and 90s.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:38 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Whoa Griz, break out the shorts and tee shirts! That warmup gives me something to look forward to.

Thanks, bmom, very clear and precise!

jean_ji, my heart goes out to you. I feel the same way, every day is precious.

Carpe diem! <3

Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 AM

6,096 posts, read 9,651,342 times
Quote:
Thanks, bmom, I have that info in the TV user manual, but want to do it wireless. I've never seen an HDMI over ten fet long.....
We had one lying around across the living room, tripping us up. That lasted about a week before DH found a way to get rid of it. We do watch MP4s instead of DVDs, and yes the conversion does have occasional problems. IIRC, our antenna is also connected to the laptop that acts as our media center. So our TV acts only as a larger, more watchable monitor for the laptop/media center.

We put up with the MP4 issues because most of our content lives on a huge (capacity, not size) external drive with server software on it, and it comes camping with us so we have access to it when we're "off the grid". We use wireless to get the content from that drive to our tablets.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:15 AM

'We had one lying around across the living room, tripping us up. That lasted about a week before DH found a way to get rid of it.'

How did you do that? Antenna?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
'We had one lying around across the living room, tripping us up. That lasted about a week before DH found a way to get rid of it.'

How did you do that? Antenna?
WiFi. In the 5G band (the 2G band is what "everyone" uses and is quite crowded).

We have a laptop that is now our "media center". IIRC (DH set this all up) our over-the-air antenna goes into the laptop, and it runs tuner software. We have a Patriot drive, which is a large-capacity external drive with server software. Any of our recorded content goes on that. That includes converted DVDs and anything we record. We only pay for basic cable because it as good as 'comes with' our internet service. We don't pay for any extra channels because we don't watch much, if anything, from them.

It's not perfect. We get the blocky effects because even the lesser-used 5G wifi band isn't quite good enough to keep up. But we don't mind that.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

Cool info, thanks. So I have to make my TV into wifi........must check that out!

Happily, the forecast was off, they said -21F for last night and it only got to -14F. (only )

Old 01-08-2015, 02:37 PM

86,093 posts, read 73,157,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Roku, Chromecast, and Fire Stick can all be used to watch any internet streaming video from providers like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and Hulu. That would include TV shows as well as movies. If the online provider is one like Amazon or Netflix or HuluPlus that requires a fee-paid subscription, then you still have to sign up and pay for those. Just owning a device doesn't grant you the right to watch everything for free.

Actually both Netflix and Amazon offer high-quality TV series that are available only through streaming. These include Emmy-nominated popular shows like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Alpha House, and Transparent.

Cable is in its death throes. Internet streaming is to cable, what cable was to network TV back in the 80s and 90s.
I watched all the Burn Notice shows off of Hulu for 3 or 4 seasons.
I watched 2 seasons of another show off the BBC website.
Also watched major network shows off of their sites for the full season.

The freebies on the net usually aren't available for 1-2 weeks after it shows on TV which really didn't matter to me cause I don't have a TV/cable.

There's a lot for free (and it's all legal too) if you hunt down the sites.

PBS and History channel have a lot on their website.

I'll watch a movie off of Amazon on demand every now and then.

I have a 27" monitor and watching it is just like watching TV.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

We have a laptop that is now our "media center".
Sounds like you two sit pretty close together, LOL. If laptop is on your lap, be sure to get the Defender Pad that protects from the computer heat/radiation.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sounds like you two sit pretty close together, LOL. If laptop is on your lap, be sure to get the Defender Pad that protects from the computer heat/radiation.
Ah. The bit I forgot to add was, our digital TV now serves solely as an external monitor to the laptop. :-)

Except in the trailer. Looking at movies on the tablet, yes, we sit pretty close together. The trailer isn't that large ...

Old 01-11-2015, 02:56 PM

Ya gotta check this out, fabulous........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93KTpF9JDWo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement