U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,408,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have no interest whatsoever in a "lady friend". My wife who died in 2005 was, is, and shall always be my only love. I sorely miss her.

I own a business. It in no way defines me but I do feel good when I make money.

"Grow up' means simply to accept what is, old age. Deal with it as best you can but accept it. I'm so sick of reading a veritable cornucopia of encomia of old age. No sane person prefers age to youth but they pretend, oh they pretend. Falsehoods are traitors to the spirit. Truth and reality are congenial and honest companions at any age.
I am so sorry for the loss of your dear wife. I think that anyone who has cared for, or suffered the loss, of a loved one is indeed in touch with the reality of life and aging. You have been given that perspective, and it is a mature one. I like your final sentence.

I am of the opinion that we boomers are wanting to hold on to what we had at younger ages. Perhaps because our generation was offered so much television and film fantasies and diversions from reality, we may not be in touch with what is real as we age and we may mourn our lost capacities and loves. We may try to get them back, not realizing it's time to live in the present and whatever future we have ahead of us. One thing for sure is that boomers are good at reinventing ourselves and forging on...even as we try to retain some modicum of "youth."

"Forever Young" - Rod Stewart www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGEe_zpddNI

Last edited by RiverBird; 02-04-2013 at 11:56 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,577,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have no interest whatsoever in a "lady friend". My wife who died in 2005 was, is, and shall always be my only love. I sorely miss her.

I also am sorry for your loss - your comment was very sweet (yes, I said SWEET).

Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,423,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Perhaps because our generation was offered so much television and film fantasies and diversions from reality, we may not be in touch with what is real as we age and we may mourn our lost capacities and loves.
LOL LOL and you might be on to something. I certainly do know a few people who don't seem to be in touch with reality. Of course, the internet may play a role in this--in our grandparents' day there were probably just as many people living in fantasyland, but unless they published books their delusions would have gone mostly unheard. For better or for worse, the internet gives everyone an audience. Plus it encourages BSing just for the fun of BSing.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-04-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM

35,885 posts, read 68,249,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL LOL and you might be on to something. I certainly do know a few people who don't seem to be in touch with reality. Of course, the internet may play a role in this--in our grandparents' day there were probably just as many people living in fantasyland, but unless they published books their delusions would have gone mostly unheard. For better or for worse, the internet gives everyone an audience. Plus it encourages BSing just for the fun of BSing.

I know people of all ages who are somewhat out of touch with reality, but they are probably mentally ill (well, a few of them definitely have diagnoses, lol).

The internet does give everyone an audience . . . which is also a good way of measuring how "normal" one's circumstances are as compared to one's peers.

I have heard a lot of folks say they hate FaceBook and see so much BS on it but I have found it to be a wonderful tool for sharing info and --- DREAMS! Nothing wrong with encouraging others with their dreams . . . as long as they are not totally unrealistic. I have encouraged friends to do all sorts of things they felt it was "too late" to do or that they were not "talented enough" to be successful doing. Amazing how often we have let others discourage us from our childhood, even, with criticism or negativity that made us doubt our abilities. So I think some element of "fantasyland" is healthy and to be encouraged.

Of course, the delusional are probably in that category somewhere . . . but even they can be a lot of fun, unless their delusions are harmful to themselves or someone else!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I have heard a lot of folks say they hate FaceBook and see so much BS on it but I have found it to be a wonderful tool for sharing info and --- DREAMS! Nothing wrong with encouraging others with their dreams . . . as long as they are not totally unrealistic.
I totally agree--day dreaming has a lot of value, especially when posters say that's what they're doing. Although I also agree that when it gets carried away it can get hard to take. But as long as it's in a chat thread, day dreaming is cool by me. The thing is, as much as I can appreciate the value of day dreaming, if that's what you're doing, why not say so? Nothing wrong with let's pretend as long as you aren't trying to give out misinformation. When I need information I hate wading through a lot of BS trying to figure out what advice is real and what is "let's pretend" nonsense.

Oh well, what can you do--that's life on the internet. It may not be perfect, but mostly it's amusing.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-04-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I totally agree--day dreaming has a lot of value, especially when posters say that's what they're doing. Although I also agree that when it gets carried away it can get hard to take. But as long as it's in a chat thread, day dreaming is cool by me. The thing is, as much as I can appreciate the value of day dreaming, if that's what you're doing, why not say so? Nothing wrong with let's pretend as long as you aren't trying to give out misinformation. When I need information I hate wading through a lot of BS trying to figure out what advice is real and what is "let's pretend" nonsense.

Oh well, what can you do--that's life on the internet. It may not be perfect, but mostly it's amusing.
Well, I guess if folks are getting pathologic w/ fantasyland . . . that could be very unhealthy.

I have been uplifted by friends who hinted at desires, dreams, goals but lacked the confidence to pursue those things (pottery, photography, a special trip, etc) . . . and we (their friends) encouraged them, held their hands and helped them with the confidence to move forward. Now, one friend has an Etsy store . . . another has an online site where she sells her hand crafted items . . . I have a friend who is now enjoying her photography and doing a great job (and most of all - having fun!).

I know these folks in "real life" . . . but we would not be communicating as we do if it were not for the internet. We probably would hardly be in communication! Funny how that works . . .

I think my favorite thing about the internet may be Pinterest these days . . . cause people share such wonderful ideas - and I can easily archive them for future reference. This has been sooo helpful. This summer, I painted the mountain house kitchen cabinets and didn't have to replace the hardware (which was brass w/ ceramic inserts) b/c I learned on Pinterest what paint to buy to make them look like oiled rubbed bronze! This saved me a lot of money! Just little things like that . . . tips that I have used . . . so exciting to share the info!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,577,859 times
Quote:
I think my favorite thing about the internet may be Pinterest these days . . . cause people share such wonderful ideas - and I can easily archive them for future reference. This has been sooo helpful. This summer, I painted the mountain house kitchen cabinets and didn't have to replace the hardware (which was brass w/ ceramic inserts) b/c I learned on Pinterest what paint to buy to make them look like oiled rubbed bronze! This saved me a lot of money! Just little things like that . . . tips that I have used . . . so exciting to share the info!
Isn't that a great site! Really like it a lot. The problem with the internet is - it just eats up so much time. Like now - I am suppose to be washing the K floor - I even turned this dang computer off - ha!

OK - I really am going to do it now (or - am I just fantasizing that it needs washing).

Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,408,966 times
Sent to me today - it DOES define some of us

Watch the following short clip. The Scene: less then a minute

A daughter is visiting her father and is helping in the kitchen.

She asks: "Tell me dad, how are you managing with the new I-Pad we gave you for your birthday?"

This clip is spoken in German but its totally understandable in any language.

So papa, how do you like the iPad we got you? - Snotr

Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Isn't that a great site! Really like it a lot. The problem with the internet is - it just eats up so much time. Like now - I am suppose to be washing the K floor - I even turned this dang computer off - ha!

OK - I really am going to do it now (or - am I just fantasizing that it needs washing).
Umbria -- I am going to send you my magic wand. It works soooo well for virtually cleaning my house. At least, in my mind it does.

Back to Pinterest . . .

Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Umbria -- I am going to send you my magic wand. It works soooo well for virtually cleaning my house. At least, in my mind it does.

Back to Pinterest . . .
Ooh! Oooh! I need one of those magic wands, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement