U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 PM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times

Advertisements

Even the Superbowl champs won't get their proper welcome parade until Wednesday. Bummer. I am so glad I am not there cause being cooped up in the house makes me crazy.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where are you moving??

We'll gladly help, as long as we can stay till April.
Just moving somewhere here in town. Have had to put the house hunting on the back burner for now because I HAVE to get out of here. My brother...idiot that he is!...has turned Mom's house into a flophouse for his druggie friends who need a place to 'flop' for however long. I don't know them, don't know what they're up to and don't WANT to know. I just want out. So have started contacting rentals around town. I hate it when 'other people' screw up MY plans. Grrrrrrr....

Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Good luck in your move, AZ!

Snowed in, really frigid temps. A beautiful dog showed up on our doorstep just now (he kept triggering the strobe light out front is why I saw him). He just sat there and I jumped off the couch to let him in. DH said he belongs to a neighbor up the street, to leave him alone and he'd run home, he's been loose before and the couple who own him are "nice" (they run a daycare for kids out of their home).

I was outraged that anyone would let a dog go loose at 10 pm on any night, let alone a night like this. I had a fit and said that if he wouldn't walk that dog home I would. He finally got re-bundled up after coming in from walking our dogs. I told him to tell off that couple and let them know I'd send the dog to a shelter if this ever happens again. Which of course I knew he wouldn't do. I decided to get their address and write them a letter. Dog got returned safely as the owner was pulling into his driveway after looking all over for the dog, which apparently got loose while the owner was bringing in wood. What a beautiful dog. He gobbled up a dishful of kibble while here.

We got repaid a half hour later when our young guy neighbors came over out of the blue to plough our driveway with a high power blower. I gave them a box of chocolates I was saving to give someone for a good deed. The evening felt neighborly. Friggin' freezing, off to bed.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Good luck in your move, AZ!

Snowed in, really frigid temps. A beautiful dog showed up on our doorstep just now (he kept triggering the strobe light out front is why I saw him). He just sat there and I jumped off the couch to let him in. DH said he belongs to a neighbor up the street, to leave him alone and he'd run home, he's been loose before and the couple who own him are "nice" (they run a daycare for kids out of their home).

I was outraged that anyone would let a dog go loose at 10 pm on any night, let alone a night like this. I had a fit and said that if he wouldn't walk that dog home I would. He finally got re-bundled up after coming in from walking our dogs. I told him to tell off that couple and let them know I'd send the dog to a shelter if this ever happens again. Which of course I knew he wouldn't do. I decided to get their address and write them a letter. Dog got returned safely as the owner was pulling into his driveway after looking all over for the dog, which apparently got loose while the owner was bringing in wood. What a beautiful dog. He gobbled up a dishful of kibble while here.

We got repaid a half hour later when our young guy neighbors came over out of the blue to plough our driveway with a high power blower. I gave them a box of chocolates I was saving to give someone for a good deed. The evening felt neighborly. Friggin' freezing, off to bed.
What a heartwarming story, NEG. Good for you for helping that poor dog get back home and for the nice neighbors who did your driveway for you--and for your gift of chocolates.

Our situation was different--our version of the frigid cold night: Dog goes out to do "his thing" and it was so cold he wanted to come right back in. dh went out afterwards, in the dark, and shoveled the mountain of snow that the town plow shoved at the end of the driveway.

Dog had to go out again, dh took him and discovered that the town plow guy was out there shoving the snow back again. dh SWORE at him! The plow guy said, "I'm doing my job!!!!" But then he kindly shoved the snow onward down the road so the driveway is clear.

I don't know what the moral of the story is. Not moving to Florida but maybe moving somewhat further south?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:46 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,578,192 times
And people wonder why we want to move. Here it is.

Sorry for u folks. We haven't gotten it yet, but last year for us was what you're going through now. Ouch.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
Yep, the road crew always plows me in at my driveway. At least they raise the wing when I'm out there shoveling.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 AM

The "weathermen/women" up here are about to be run out of town. They totally messed up on the last prediction and underplayed the latest, worse storm. I know it''s not an exact science, but geez...remembering that Oct 31 blizzard several years ago that they didn't get...with all the technology at hand, you'd think they'd have a better batting average.

Twins turn 2 this week. They are so much fun, I forgot how great that age is. But oh my aching back. The senior ctr gym is calling...

Two years flown by, reminding me that seniors have to try to make their dreams come true sooner than later....

Old 02-03-2015, 08:50 AM

negirl, how much snow did you get? And the winds, I'm amazed your power is on!

-16F this morning, it's 10F now.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
negirl, how much snow did you get? And the winds, I'm amazed your power is on!

-16F this morning, it's 10F now.
I don't know how much we really got b/c the winds were so bad that snow blew down from roofs, trees, and all over the place. It's quite warm today (22 deg) after a horrid night last night temp-wise. I was able to walk the plowed sidewalk at the outdoor mall and soak up 7 min of sunshine. They're talking more snow, but no one believes it (or wants to). There is no place to pile more snow on either side of our wide driveway, the banks are 5' high. If this ices over badly we're in deep (fill in the blank).

Old 02-03-2015, 01:42 PM

LOL, I shoveled out the mail box but gave up on the driveway. I figure we got about 14 to 16 inches. The end of the driveway where the plows socked me in is about chest height, and I'm 5'8"

Yep, more snow here Thursday for us, too.

I hope someone has notified CD that the quotes are all missing. It just happened within the last half hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement