U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,425,565 times

Advertisements

Ugh, zug, it's never easy. They are lucky to have you in the end time. Love them and act like it's just another day. I know it's rough but for their sake, just carry on and keep calm. I know your feelings of money loss, I am about to lose my job here pretty quick.

HiW, winter ends on Memorial day. Hugs and warm wishes to you and all of us.

Yeah, it's a freaking journey, all right. WTH I'll take it. Whatever.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Here's hoping that your winter gets milder and that spring makes an early appearance for you. I haven't been around here much because I've been working on figuring out ways to deal with the possibility of my pension being severely cut. The unofficial word is that the trustees think it might take as much as a year to figure out how much they need to cut so I'm spending 2015 being uber frugal and exploring various scenarios to cope with this.

On Monday my vet confirmed my fears that Calypso, my 10 year old chocolate lab, is very ill with cancer and that she has maybe a week or two before I have to make that awful decision. It's amazing how symptom free she's been until just a few weeks ago. She's been with me since she was 6 weeks old and I really expected to have her around for another 3 or 4 years. Despite all the senior dogs that I've adopted and lost since retiring it's still very hard. Calypso will be the tenth dog of my own that I've lost in under 9 years, as well as two foster dogs and one foster horse. Since Zack, my black lab is almost 14-1/2 I know that he's not likely to be with my for much longer, even though he seems to be in fine health at this time. It's hard to imagine being back to a one dog household, with just Boca, something I haven't been since 1991. Given the uncertainty of my financial future I can't adopt even one more dog until I know where I stand.

We have a little run of warm days with temps in the mid 40's to high 50's over the next 6 days. I will try to enjoy them to the fullest since we then return to normal winter weather for another couple of months yet.
From your posts I know that you'd spend your last dollar on your fur family. But when money can't fix it all we can do is watch them die. It gets harder each time. However, I know that when I die I'll be in the special part of heaven that's reserved for animals and the people who love them.

Take care of the ones you have and remember you can always make more money, but you can't always get back either their health or yours.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:50 PM

9,667 posts, read 11,120,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Here's hoping that your winter gets milder and that spring makes an early appearance for you. I haven't been around here much because I've been working on figuring out ways to deal with the possibility of my pension being severely cut. The unofficial word is that the trustees think it might take as much as a year to figure out how much they need to cut so I'm spending 2015 being uber frugal and exploring various scenarios to cope with this.

On Monday my vet confirmed my fears that Calypso, my 10 year old chocolate lab, is very ill with cancer and that she has maybe a week or two before I have to make that awful decision. It's amazing how symptom free she's been until just a few weeks ago. She's been with me since she was 6 weeks old and I really expected to have her around for another 3 or 4 years. Despite all the senior dogs that I've adopted and lost since retiring it's still very hard. Calypso will be the tenth dog of my own that I've lost in under 9 years, as well as two foster dogs and one foster horse. Since Zack, my black lab is almost 14-1/2 I know that he's not likely to be with my for much longer, even though he seems to be in fine health at this time. It's hard to imagine being back to a one dog household, with just Boca, something I haven't been since 1991. Given the uncertainty of my financial future I can't adopt even one more dog until I know where I stand.

We have a little run of warm days with temps in the mid 40's to high 50's over the next 6 days. I will try to enjoy them to the fullest since we then return to normal winter weather for another couple of months yet.
It's harder each time to lose one. I know that you'd go without food to save Calypso, but there's just nothing to do. I've come to believe in heaven for the good. The good are all the animals and the people who love them.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,166,556 times
I am on cloud 9 tonight, in the midst of this frigid weather. We just experienced a live concert of cellist David Finckel (formerly of the Emerson String Quartet) and pianist Wu Han in a Russian program (appropriate for the weather!). I've never heard these pieces played like that. Those of you who love chamber music (or might think you would) check out this amazing duo. This is the program from tonight:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuI0Nod9AMQ

Old 02-07-2015, 02:57 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,084,981 times
I'm so sorry to hear about Calypso. Enjoy the time you have left with her, and let her go when she is ready.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:15 PM

22,607 posts, read 12,482,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am on cloud 9 tonight, in the midst of this frigid weather. We just experienced a live concert of cellist David Finckel (formerly of the Emerson String Quartet) and pianist Wu Han in a Russian program (appropriate for the weather!). I've never heard these pieces played like that. Those of you who love chamber music (or might think you would) check out this amazing duo. This is the program from tonight:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuI0Nod9AMQ
That is glorious, NEgirl. What pieces were part of the Russian program ????

Last month I went to free concert at the Curtis Institute that featured works by great 20th Century American composers: Leonard Bernstein, Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland. For people not familiar with Curtis I will only say that along with NYC's Juilliard it ranks as probably the best and most highly exalted music academy in all of North America. My city is the home of the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Philly Pops, the West Philadelphia Orchestra, the Academy of Music (oldest in the US) as well at Curtis; the place that was home to greats as Leopold Stokowski and Eugene Ormandy. Even Russia's Tchaikovsky came here to conduct our symphony back in the late 19th Century.

I'm looking forward to hearing a program later this month featuring British greats: Ralph Vaughn Williams, Gustav Holst, etc.

Besides classical music, I also like jazz, blues, Latin beats, Klezmer, classic rock & roll, Broadway, etc.

I discovered a piano bar where for the price of a drink (i.e. no cover no minimum) there are talented vocalists on the piano that perform lots of songs my parents adored: Hoagie Carmichael, Cole Porter, Stephen Sondheim, Broadway musicals, etc.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
That is glorious, NEgirl. What pieces were part of the Russian program ????
Rachmaninov: Cello Sonata in G Minor, Op. 19 (1901)

Prokofiev: Sonata for Cello C Major, Op. 119 (1940)

Skryabin: Five Preludes for Solo Piano, Op. 16 (1894)

Shostakovich: Sonata for Cello and Piano in D Minor, Op. 40 (1934)

Home I David Finckel and Wu Han

Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Last month I went to free concert at the Curtis Institute that featured works by great 20th Century American composers: Leonard Bernstein, Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland. For people not familiar with Curtis I will only say that along with NYC's Juilliard it ranks as probably the best and most highly exalted music academy in all of North America.
I envy you your proximity to the Curtis Institute, maybe I will move to Philly. CI's violinist Pamela Frank gave an amazing masterclass at the summer institute/festival for which I was marketing director. I also have a photo of me and violinist Arnold Steinhardt (formerly with Guarneri Quartet) from when he was here. He was signing his book for me, Indivisible by Four: A String Quartet in Pursuit of Harmony.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM

14,017 posts, read 17,933,764 times
Has anyone heard they've come out with a marijuana flavored tooth paste? You still get cavities, but you just don't care.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,627,864 times
ZUGOR: I am sorry about your sweet furkid. It is so hard when they are sick and especially hard to think about losing them.

My 12 y/o companion was back to the ER vet a week ago. Such a mess. It appears her Cancer has spread. We are just not sure what the next steps with be.

I will be thinking of you. So very very sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement