U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Hugs and prayers, zug, and for us all.

Remember the love and the joy, that is real and never goes away.

On the backs of the Valkries they go, to the summerland, to never feel pain or loss again. They wait near the Rainbow bridge for us, when it is time we will be rejoined.

<3

Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 AM

6,183 posts, read 9,247,291 times
CCcgirl: I had tears in my eyes when I read your final line. Yes, it's true, I feel it. Our pets are part of our families and they, too, will be there when we make our trip.

Zucor: You have done a brave thing for your Calypso. I am so sorry things end this way. May you heal and I send loving hugs your way.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
When I bury them, I look to the sky and whisper the words out loud; carry them to the Summerland, on the backs of the Valkries fly. Remember the love and the joy, do not be saddened, what we had is precious.

Blubbering and sobbing, then over the years just a smile. Remember to smile when you think of them, they do not want you to be sad.

Years of digging graves taught me that.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,633,970 times
Sending hugs and sympathy your way, ZUG. So very sorry . . . I am so glad you had that last special time in good weather to be together and to take the photos.

I will hope the same for my girl - and that I will have the wisdom to know when it is time . . .

Wishing you comfort in good memories, my friend.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,302 posts, read 3,384,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Elevator operators are a sore subject with me. Before I blissfully retired as a political and legislative analyst I spent copious amounts of working time at the California state capitol, as did my wife who was also an analyst. A sore point for me was the elevator on the Senate side of the building. It hade been modernized some years before to push button rather than the old-time, manual operation. Nonetheless, the job of elevator operator was alive and well. There they sat on a comfortable chair, asking, "Which floor please" then pushing the appropriate button to get you there.

The people's tax dollars hard at work!

FWIW, some of you might find this interesting:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the late "thirties" (1939 and into 1940 & 1941) my dad had a job that required he wear a business suit every day, and he was "rough on his clothes". So about every 6 to 9 months he would take me (age 8-9 or so) with him and we'd go down to Maxwell Street in Chicago. There was an old Wearhouse that had no sign on it, just totally plain front end and no windows that you could see through, but one front door with a big "knocker" on it. Dad would use the knocker and some guy would come to the door, ask my Dad his name and "number", he'd look in a large Ledger Type book, ck the info and say "OK"..

We'd walk over to the "Elevator" (very old Cage Type), get in, use the big lever to close the door, AND THEN, use the "ENDLESS CHAIN_HOIST" to raise the elevator to the 2nd and/or 3rd floor.

2nd floor had racks and racks and racks and racks of SUMMER WEIGHT suits.

The 3rd floor had racks and racks and racks and racks of WINTER WEIGHT suits.

No sales people, no tags in the suits, just the size info. You chose what you wanted, tried the suit(s) on in a "make-shift" room, put them in a Brown Paper Shoping Bag, went back down to the ground floor, paid cash to the guy who had opened the door and you left. No "small talk" or anything else.........just an "all-business" transaction!!!

Oh Yea, almost forgot: The price: $10.00 each...(and the quality was as good or better than Botany 500!).

Old 02-11-2015, 03:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
With 80 inches of snow on the ground and our snow paths all covered up again by the adorable town plows, dh has decided that tomorrow he will take two long boards, tie ropes to them, and attempt to get to the car! He will plonk one board in front of the other, walk on them, and then pull the back one toward him, pick it up, and plop it in front of him.
Wouldn't it be easier to get snowshoes?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

FWIW, some of you might find this interesting:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the late "thirties" (1939 and into 1940 & 1941) my dad had a job that required he wear a business suit every day, and he was "rough on his clothes". So about every 6 to 9 months he would take me (age 8-9 or so) with him and we'd go down to Maxwell Street in Chicago. There was an old Wearhouse that had no sign on it, just totally plain front end and no windows that you could see through, but one front door with a big "knocker" on it. Dad would use the knocker and some guy would come to the door, ask my Dad his name and "number", he'd look in a large Ledger Type book, ck the info and say "OK"..

We'd walk over to the "Elevator" (very old Cage Type), get in, use the big lever to close the door, AND THEN, use the "ENDLESS CHAIN_HOIST" to raise the elevator to the 2nd and/or 3rd floor.

2nd floor had racks and racks and racks and racks of SUMMER WEIGHT suits.

The 3rd floor had racks and racks and racks and racks of WINTER WEIGHT suits.

No sales people, no tags in the suits, just the size info. You chose what you wanted, tried the suit(s) on in a "make-shift" room, put them in a Brown Paper Shoping Bag, went back down to the ground floor, paid cash to the guy who had opened the door and you left. No "small talk" or anything else.........just an "all-business" transaction!!!

Oh Yea, almost forgot: The price: $10.00 each...(and the quality was as good or better than Botany 500!).
What a great story! I can just see it in my mind's eye!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Have you all seen this? I wish I had known about this method for clearing a pathway in the snow when I lived in Kansas!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdUAatXLY4

Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
Have you all seen this? I wish I had known about this method for clearing a pathway in the snow when I lived in Kansas!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdUAatXLY4
That is so cool! Almost makes me want to leave the land of perpetual summer and go back to Montana to try it out.

Wait . . . I said "Almost".

Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,619,362 times
Well, I met with a fellow from TIAA-CREF today. They are the people who manage my 403(b) money. I admit that I'm pretty ignorant concerning these type of "Wall Street" things. Being so close to retirement, (less than two years), I wanted to get a handle on if I should move my money into a different account of theirs which would be a lot safer against loss. Don't think I'd like to see a big downturn in the next two years, since there won't be much time to recover.

As a result of the meeting, I feel a lot better about my retirement. Currently, half my money is in a moderate risk account and the other half in a guaranteed account. Taking the two together, he said that my portfolio was conservative to very conservative. That's fine with me. At this stage in my life, I'd rather have 'peace of mind' knowing that what I have will be there rather than have the money is a higher-growth, but riskier account.

The next, and very important thing that needs to be done is to create a budget for my retirement years. That's going to be very difficult, but will be needed before determining how to receive my 403(b) money, if at all. At the end of April, I have an appointment with a fee-only financial planner. He's going to want to see a budget before he can make any recommendations, such as, do I pay off the house mortgage with some of the 403(b) funds or carry a small mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement