U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times

Advertisements

Enjoy your weather, Don. I love hearing about what you are having for dinner that you harvested yourself.

LOL Barb, we added up what we've spent on lotto the last twenty years~over 14K like Jeff Foxworthy says, some folks have retirement plans, rednecks play lotto.

negirl, when I worked at the Dodge dealer one of the guys in the body shop had some girlie mags in his tool box. (they were tasteful IMO). All gals over 50. And all HOT!

in_ne, you have the gym right outside, just grab a shovel! Kidding, I wouldn't wish this back pain on anyone who wasn't up to it.

meo, last winter was unreal, this one is coming in a close second. Our frigid tempps are at least broken up with some tolerable ones; last year it got super cold and stayed there for what seemed like forever. skru you, polar vortex; die, die!!!!!!!!

We dashed into town yesterday; left around 1PM in a balmy 9F. We've got plenty of liquor, cat food and I scored some nice marked down baked goods so we're set for the frigid week.

Oh, a note to us cold area folks, check those tires and pressures before you hit the road.

After the big chill last winter, one of the tires on his rig keeps losing air. Fortunately I only drove about 500 feet before the lous rubbing sound made me stop. When it gets below 10F it keeps going flat. Corrosion on the rim most likely.

So keep them tires aired up, y'all!

Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Various weather sites on my computer say that we can expect temps to be down to 1 or 2 degrees F by 7 am tomorrow morning and with the winds at around 30 mph plus higher gusts it will feel like MINUS 23. It will be a chore to get the dogs to pop out the back door for a very quick pee when they get up. I'm hoping that the power doesn't go out due to the high winds because that will result in the well pump going out too. My kitchen sink is on the north wall of the house and the line sometimes freezes so I have it on a slow trickle but without the pump that won't continue. I am very grateful that we are not facing blizzard conditions like the northeast. We've had a rather dry winter with little snow or rain and I'm glad of that but hope it does not continue in to spring and summer.

This afternoon all of Tim's horses and my goat were laying down in the low spot of the north pasture, trying to absorb some of the suns warmth while staying out of the wind as much as possible. Even though most of the cattle, horses and sheep in this area do not have any shelter in the winter I can't help but wish that I had even a simple shed for my guys to get out of the worst of it.

Now that Calypso is gone I'm trying to get Boca to sleep in the bed. I have to coax him up with some treats but once he's in he seems content to stay put for at least a few hours. Zack has always slept up on the bed and is quite a bedhog, sleeping crosswise, taking up about 60% of the space in a king size.

I hope all of you facing far worse conditions that I come through it with nothing more to report than the minor inconvenience of being housebound for too long.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:22 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Various weather sites on my computer say that we can expect temps to be down to 1 or 2 degrees F by 7 am tomorrow morning and with the winds at around 30 mph plus higher gusts it will feel like MINUS 23. It will be a chore to get the dogs to pop out the back door for a very quick pee when they get up. I'm hoping that the power doesn't go out due to the high winds because that will result in the well pump going out too. My kitchen sink is on the north wall of the house and the line sometimes freezes so I have it on a slow trickle but without the pump that won't continue. I am very grateful that we are not facing blizzard conditions like the northeast. We've had a rather dry winter with little snow or rain and I'm glad of that but hope it does not continue in to spring and summer.

This afternoon all of Tim's horses and my goat were laying down in the low spot of the north pasture, trying to absorb some of the suns warmth while staying out of the wind as much as possible. Even though most of the cattle, horses and sheep in this area do not have any shelter in the winter I can't help but wish that I had even a simple shed for my guys to get out of the worst of it.

Now that Calypso is gone I'm trying to get Boca to sleep in the bed. I have to coax him up with some treats but once he's in he seems content to stay put for at least a few hours. Zack has always slept up on the bed and is quite a bedhog, sleeping crosswise, taking up about 60% of the space in a king size.

I hope all of you facing far worse conditions that I come through it with nothing more to report than the minor inconvenience of being housebound for too long.
zugor, I was searching through my online photos for a picture I took a few years ago. It shows some horses standing in the snow and wind and it's the epitome of COLD. They are wearing blankets and those same horses stand there year after year. I think you would have enjoyed seeing it--they are beautiful horses and well cared for. (of course my online photos are an impossible mess............)

My name should be changed to OUT of new england after this blizzard. As dh says, "It's far beyond a joke."

Old 02-14-2015, 03:43 PM

966 posts, read 1,467,437 times
We had to transfer my dad from the hospital to a Nursing Home today, so it has been a long day. And we'll all be taking my mom to see him tonight and make sure he is getting settled in ok.

Mom will still be at home and I'll be taking care of her full time.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
We had to transfer my dad from the hospital to a Nursing Home today, so it has been a long day. And we'll all be taking my mom to see him tonight and make sure he is getting settled in ok.

Mom will still be at home and I'll be taking care of her full time.
This has to be a day of a lot of mixed emotion for you all. I hope your dad settles in quickly. It sounds like you will be really busy with your mom. Be sure to look for respite care so you can take care of yourself, too.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:11 PM

So many mixed emotions for me right now, too. We are seeing the grandtwins regularly, they just turned 2...really precious times with them. They are funny, smart, artistic and clever. They love going to the time-out stool (one usually insists on accompanying the other, sister-support) and then they push the Jack Russell into his cage for "time out" when he gets too peppy with them. These are the days I always want to remember.

At the same time, my tolerance of very cold temps has disappeared. I am not feeling so great in this, one of the worst winters ever. I am thoroughly chilled just running errands and can't seem to warm up. I wish to be in a milder climate, yet I cannot bring myself to leave these little kids. Snowbirding is out, for several reasons including it's not our thing. I know I have to put up and shut up for the sake of closeness to family, or make a change, coaxing dh to go along, which he undoubtedly would but he's so clever at talking me out of relocating. I wonder how many couples don't agree on relocating...

Yes, the snow tonight is exceptionally pretty. It's the cold.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:31 PM

20,328 posts, read 19,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So many mixed emotions for me right now, too. We are seeing the grandtwins regularly, they just turned 2...really precious times with them. They are funny, smart, artistic and clever. They love going to the time-out stool (one usually insists on accompanying the other, sister-support) and then they push the Jack Russell into his cage for "time out" when he gets too peppy with them. These are the days I always want to remember.

At the same time, my tolerance of very cold temps has disappeared. I am not feeling so great in this, one of the worst winters ever. I am thoroughly chilled just running errands and can't seem to warm up. I wish to be in a milder climate, yet I cannot bring myself to leave these little kids. Snowbirding is out, for several reasons including it's not our thing. I know I have to put up and shut up for the sake of closeness to family, or make a change, coaxing dh to go along, which he undoubtedly would but he's so clever at talking me out of relocating. I wonder how many couples don't agree on relocating...

Yes, the snow tonight is exceptionally pretty. It's the cold.
Well, I'll reply since we out here are still snowbound and it will get even worse with tonight/tomorrow's blizzard. I have time to kill.

If I had such adorable grand twins--or even one adorable grandchild I'd never be able to leave. It must be a terrible dilemma. I'm sorry that I missed my two nieces and now they are all grown up and my sister says, "But they don't even know you" when I ask if they might come here for a visit! They moved away just after the older child was born and of course, the younger one was born in the new location.

Once in a while the family came north for a visit but they'd pop around to see all the different relatives and then they were gone. I flew down there as much as I could but that gets expensive and it's still not at all the same as seeing them grow up. I missed out on all the fun and now they hardly know me!

And to try to address your other question about couples not agreeing, I've seen it in this forum. Also, right now I am determined to get out of this snow buried state but dh says, "no." There's summer. there's Maine, and the south is sweltering in summer.

Can you convince him to go and stay in a warmer place for just a few weeks in winter? One problem with that is the cost--no matter what anyone on here says, not everyone can afford these rentals. I looked at plenty of them and couldn't afford any of the places I wanted to go. Also, not everyone is comfortable with alternatives like house swapping and anyway, who would be crazy enough to want to be in New England in the winter. Sometimes couples can go together or even a group and split the costs of a place to stay. There's still the high cost of getting there though (and what to do with dogs!)

I hope to get out completely. But I have no ties here anymore. If I move to where my closest family now lives, it's warmer and maybe I can at least see my NIECES kids when my nieces get married and have families.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, I'll reply since we out here are still snowbound and it will get even worse with tonight/tomorrow's blizzard. I have time to kill.

If I had such adorable grand twins--or even one adorable grandchild I'd never be able to leave. It must be a terrible dilemma. I'm sorry that I missed my two nieces and now they are all grown up and my sister says, "But they don't even know you" when I ask if they might come here for a visit! They moved away just after the older child was born and of course, the younger one was born in the new location.

Once in a while the family came north for a visit but they'd pop around to see all the different relatives and then they were gone. I flew down there as much as I could but that gets expensive and it's still not at all the same as seeing them grow up. I missed out on all the fun and now they hardly know me!

And to try to address your other question about couples not agreeing, I've seen it in this forum. Also, right now I am determined to get out of this snow buried state but dh says, "no." There's summer. there's Maine, and the south is sweltering in summer.

Can you convince him to go and stay in a warmer place for just a few weeks in winter? One problem with that is the cost--no matter what anyone on here says, not everyone can afford these rentals. I looked at plenty of them and couldn't afford any of the places I wanted to go. Also, not everyone is comfortable with alternatives like house swapping and anyway, who would be crazy enough to want to be in New England in the winter. Sometimes couples can go together or even a group and split the costs of a place to stay. There's still the high cost of getting there though (and what to do with dogs!)

I hope to get out completely. But I have no ties here anymore. If I move to where my closest family now lives, it's warmer and maybe I can at least see my NIECES kids when my nieces get married and have families.
Thanks for your reply. I'll send you a DM. ~ NEg

Old 02-14-2015, 07:54 PM

14,017 posts, read 17,939,286 times
With daytime highs in the mid-80's the past few days, I've had to open windows after sunset to cool the place off a bit - no point in running air conditioning in February. Sitting right here now with the window open. I know all you folks in New England and upstate New York will feel sorry for me and my extra inconvenience of opening and closing windows. (I usually have to close them again in the middle of the night or things will get a bit too chilly.)

Old 02-14-2015, 10:33 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Default The CD retirement clan - in the future

She Heard Music In The Nursing Home. Her Reaction? HEART MELTING!! - LittleThings.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement