U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 04:41 PM

8,766 posts, read 9,841,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
Congratulations AZ DB!!!! I am thrilled for you.
Thank you!

Old 02-19-2015, 05:59 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
LOL o_c and jeanji, I saw those temps for south Florida, break out the fur coats!

National High and Low Temperature (for the contiguous United States)
NWS Weather Prediction Center, College Park, MD
Issued 1 am EST Thursday, February 19, 2015
High Temperature for Wednesday, February 18, 2015(as received by 1 am EST February 19)
85 at Thermal, CA
Low Temperature for Wednesday, February 18, 2015(as received by 1 am EST February 19)
-33 at Crane Lake, MN

AZBrat, let me know if you need anything for your new place as we are downsizing like madand need to get rid of stuff

Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL o_c and jeanji, I saw those temps for south Florida, break out the fur coats!

National High and Low Temperature (for the contiguous United States)
NWS Weather Prediction Center, College Park, MD
Issued 1 am EST Thursday, February 19, 2015
High Temperature for Wednesday, February 18, 2015(as received by 1 am EST February 19)
85 at Thermal, CA
Low Temperature for Wednesday, February 18, 2015(as received by 1 am EST February 19)
-33 at Crane Lake, MN

AZBrat, let me know if you need anything for your new place as we are downsizing like madand need to get rid of stuff
LOL...Sure! I could use a small tractor to work on my 1/4 acre of dirt! lol I was thinking about that yesterday. I have absolutely NO yard work tools and a whole lotta yard to work on. Fun times! I guess it's a good thing I get a nice discount at Walmart. Hmmmm...maybe I can sneak some of my mom's stuff out when little brother isn't looking. He'd try to make me pay for them! LOLOL

Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
LOL...Sure! I could use a small tractor to work on my 1/4 acre of dirt! lol I was thinking about that yesterday. I have absolutely NO yard work tools and a whole lotta yard to work on. Fun times! I guess it's a good thing I get a nice discount at Walmart. Hmmmm...maybe I can sneak some of my mom's stuff out when little brother isn't looking. He'd try to make me pay for them! LOLOL
Oh dear, I meant to remind you to get vaccinated against being bitten by the landscaping/gardening bug but I see it's too late. I've had it take huge chunks out of my wallet over and over again and in my experience it's just as bad as being hit with cute puppy syndrome, when you're fostering an entire litter of really cute puppies and want to keep them all.

I hope you enjoy many delightful hours doing the place up so that it's a pleasure to come home to every time you leave. I'd give high priority to starting and maintaining a good compost pile, the stuff is worth it.

ps: once you get your place finished feel free to take an extended trip up here to VA to help me with my 28 acres, or even just the couple of acres that surround the house.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Oh dear, I meant to remind you to get vaccinated against being bitten by the landscaping/gardening bug but I see it's too late. I've had it take huge chunks out of my wallet over and over again and in my experience it's just as bad as being hit with cute puppy syndrome, when you're fostering an entire litter of really cute puppies and want to keep them all.

I hope you enjoy many delightful hours doing the place up so that it's a pleasure to come home to every time you leave. I'd give high priority to starting and maintaining a good compost pile, the stuff is worth it.

ps: once you get your place finished feel free to take an extended trip up here to VA to help me with my 28 acres, or even just the couple of acres that surround the house.

LOL...I've always been a gardener. At one time, living off the grid, I had three of them going so I'd have plenty of good stuff to can.

Since I live in the desert I will be concentrating on deserty landscape...rock and drought resistant plants, etc.. I do want a little bit of grass up close to the house especially in the front. But not more than I can take care of with a weed eater...no lawn mower needed. I have that size lawn at this house and it works out well.

Lucked out with the compost. The lady who lived there was a 'greenie' and there's already a good sized compost receptacle. Nearly full! She was also a 'prepper' and had a nice garden area all planned out. The dirt in that area is great! Most of the dirt around here has a lot of clay in it and has to have a LOT of additions, etc. to make it viable. There's also a gray water system in place to water the garden. Score!

I'd be happy to come help you but I have a hunch that once I get this place the way I want it I will never want to leave to go anywhere. lol

Old 02-19-2015, 11:09 AM

WOW Brat, that is a huge bonus, the compost and grey water!

I would love to have a yard that didn't need more than a weed eater, but I will settle for one that is flat and doesn't involve me pushing a mower up a hill.

Just tell little brother you're 'borrowing' stuff because your just starting on the new place.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
WOW Brat, that is a huge bonus, the compost and grey water!

I would love to have a yard that didn't need more than a weed eater, but I will settle for one that is flat and doesn't involve me pushing a mower up a hill.

Just tell little brother you're 'borrowing' stuff because your just starting on the new place.
I'm tellin' ya, this place just could not be more perfect for me. And just like on House Hunters I only had to look at three! lol I know they look at a lot more than that but I didn't.

I've had two acre 'yards' so yeah, I know what you mean.

I could probably get away with that. BUT he doesn't know what all is here and my car has a BIG trunk! lol He's only here on weekends, thankfully, so....

Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM

'Here' means he comes on weekends to visit your Mom?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:53 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,473,925 times
Quote:
I'm tellin' ya, this place just could not be more perfect for me. And just like on House Hunters I only had to look at three! lol I know they look at a lot more than that but I didn't.

I've had two acre 'yards' so yeah, I know what you mean.

I could probably get away with that. BUT he doesn't know what all is here and my car has a BIG trunk! lol He's only here on weekends, thankfully, so....
Do it!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,741,983 times
Quote:
LOL...I've always been a gardener. At one time, living off the grid, I had three of them going so I'd have plenty of good stuff to can.

Since I live in the desert I will be concentrating on deserty landscape...rock and drought resistant plants, etc.. I do want a little bit of grass up close to the house especially in the front. But not more than I can take care of with a weed eater...no lawn mower needed. I have that size lawn at this house and it works out well.

Lucked out with the compost. The lady who lived there was a 'greenie' and there's already a good sized compost receptacle. Nearly full! She was also a 'prepper' and had a nice garden area all planned out. The dirt in that area is great! Most of the dirt around here has a lot of clay in it and has to have a LOT of additions, etc. to make it viable. There's also a gray water system in place to water the garden. Score!

I'd be happy to come help you but I have a hunch that once I get this place the way I want it I will never want to leave to go anywhere. lol

Your happiness is contagious, I'm loving these posts! Contgratulations on the new place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement