U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times

Advertisements

Totally lost it today. Still cannot go outside. The coldest day so far. I stayed in my nightgown and dh came home to find me cleaning out the heating grates by hand, blaring Rachmaninoff. Toast for breakfast, toast for lunch...wine for happy hour...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,238,576 times
Neg: I don't understand? If your DH came home from somewhere, wouldn't he be able to take you with and drop you off somewhere for the day so you could get out of the house? I mean, like a library, shopping mall, or something to minimize the cabin fever? I don't know what your situation is, but I would certainly try anything to get out of the house.

My hip surgery is on hold since I had an infection at the root of 2 teeth. Just had an apicoectomy yesterday and now that it's done, I have to reschedule the hip. Usually hate dentists, but this wasn't too bad. Am swollen like a chipmunk and have sutures in my mouth.. but I did get some Percoset ! LOL

Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,161,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Neg: I don't understand? If your DH came home from somewhere, wouldn't he be able to take you with and drop you off somewhere for the day so you could get out of the house? I mean, like a library, shopping mall, or something to minimize the cabin fever? I don't know what your situation is, but I would certainly try anything to get out of the house.
He came home from seeing some clients, all invigorated from the cold. I can drive fine by myself. I did not want to go out, the air was too frigid for me (it did warm up a bit later around 2:30). He urged me to go out around 3:30 and I did go to the library, I was the only one there besides staff and picked up a few things. I think what everyone in New England needs about now is fresh air and sunshine, even if it's less than warm. I hope we get to gloat somehow this summer, lol. My West Coast relatives are!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 PM

20,304 posts, read 19,285,182 times
I went out. My car got stuck in snow in a parking lot. Then I went grocery shopping and noticed I had a flat tire. By the time I got home that warming (if you can call it that) sun was gone and it was bitterly cold. Our library is only open Mon-Th. Now that we can get out of the driveway, I definitely want to go somewhere but I don't want to get stuck in the snow again and wait 1 1/2 hours for a tow truck to come a pull me out. There are so many snow emergencies that I was lucky it didn't take even longer. The end. This snow is beyond boring. It is making me grumpy. GROWL.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 PM

9,658 posts, read 11,115,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I went out. My car got stuck in snow in a parking lot. Then I went grocery shopping and noticed I had a flat tire. By the time I got home that warming (if you can call it that) sun was gone and it was bitterly cold. Our library is only open Mon-Th. Now that we can get out of the driveway, I definitely want to go somewhere but I don't want to get stuck in the snow again and wait 1 1/2 hours for a tow truck to come a pull me out. There are so many snow emergencies that I was lucky it didn't take even longer. The end. This snow is beyond boring. It is making me grumpy. GROWL.
Weren't there any people around to push or, if your car was really stuck, didn't someone have a tow strap?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Totally lost it today. Still cannot go outside. The coldest day so far. I stayed in my nightgown and dh came home to find me cleaning out the heating grates by hand, blaring Rachmaninoff. Toast for breakfast, toast for lunch...wine for happy hour...
Oh no! I think this winter is really getting to you. I wish, very much, you could get out of it for a while.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:47 PM

8,762 posts, read 9,832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

My hip surgery is on hold since I had an infection at the root of 2 teeth. Just had an apicoectomy yesterday and now that it's done, I have to reschedule the hip. Usually hate dentists, but this wasn't too bad. Am swollen like a chipmunk and have sutures in my mouth.. but I did get some Percoset ! LOL
That sound horrific, Barb. So sorry to hear it. Percoset?? I think we need to send some of that to ALL our friends back east!! It'll still be miserable to be there but maybe they won't care so much?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Weren't there any people around to push or, if your car was really stuck, didn't someone have a tow strap?
Of course people tried to help. One guy tried pushing it but it wouldn't budge. Then another guy came along and it still wouldn't move. When the towing guy arrived he tried pushing it too. The temperature here was about 4F today and the snow had frozen around my front tires. The tow guy thanked me though--he said it was more "fun" to just tow somebody for a few feet rather than the winching he'd been doing all day.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 PM

6,977 posts, read 7,468,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Of course people tried to help. One guy tried pushing it but it wouldn't budge. Then another guy came along and it still wouldn't move. When the towing guy arrived he tried pushing it too. The temperature here was about 4F today and the snow had frozen around my front tires. The tow guy thanked me though--he said it was more "fun" to just tow somebody for a few feet rather than the winching he'd been doing all day.

Was your tire flat when you were stuck or after you were pulled out? If it was flat when you were stuck it would be more difficult to get it unstuck.

I really feel for people in the east. Do you get lots of sunshine even though it's cold or is it overcast most of the time> I find the overcast days hard to deal with here in the winter but most of the time we do get lots of sun?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Was your tire flat when you were stuck or after you were pulled out? If it was flat when you were stuck it would be more difficult to get it unstuck.

I really feel for people in the east. Do you get lots of sunshine even though it's cold or is it overcast most of the time> I find the overcast days hard to deal with here in the winter but most of the time we do get lots of sun?
The tire wasn't that flat but it did interfere with pushing the car out, I think. The sun was out today but most of this month has been the worst of everything I've ever seen in my life. Snow, BIG snow, constant snow, always snow. It's been dark most of the time time but the sun was sort of out today, which is why I ventured out. It looked almost inviting. HA! Was I in for a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement