U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 03:28 AM

20,143 posts, read 20,252,538 times

Advertisements

Question for any or all of you.
I have been looking at comforters and checking the reviews.
Quite a few mentioned that the comforter was so soft, thick, cuddly, whatever, to sleep on.
Do people really sleep on their comforters???

Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,427,479 times
^^^ LMAO ER!!!!!!!!

Thanks Umbria and Zugor, he got up in last night for an hour or two but fell back to sleep. I appreciate your readiness to back me up.

Looking forward to the start of meteorological spring on Sunday. We so earned it. Zug, I hope there's no ice coming your way.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,210,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Quite a few mentioned that the comforter was so soft, thick, cuddly, whatever, to sleep on.
I do. I have a king size one that is folded in half so it is just one my side of the bed, not the dogs side. Then I have a blanket and another quilt on top of me. Very toasty warm even when I turn the t-stat down to about 52 over night and the outside temp is below zero. It's somewhat like being in a sleeping bag but without the tight fit.

[quote=CCc girl

Thanks Umbria and Zugor, he got up in last night for an hour or two but fell back to sleep. I appreciate your readiness to back me up.

Looking forward to the start of meteorological spring on Sunday. We so earned it. Zug, I hope there's no ice coming your way.[/quote]

No ice, just 5" of light fluffy snow. I was able to quickly sweep off the back steps so that the old dog Zack could go down and back up them with jumping - something he tends to do if he's afraid of slipping and falling. Then I put on my muck boots and clomped out to the picnic table, ruler in hand, to get an accurate measurement of the depth of the snow. We won't see temps above freezing until Monday so I guess this will be with us for a few days. Since it's Thursday I figured I'd schlep on out to the end of the driveway to collect our weekly newspaper while I had my boots one but it's not here yet. Guess the delivery guy was waiting for the plows to get some clearing done.

I too am happy to know that meteorological spring is just a couple of days away but better yet will be when the actual weather is mild, sweet spring and the pastures around here are full of entertaining little calves and lambs, awkwardly jumping around on their too long legs. Next up - hoping that mother nature sends enough rain for a good first and second cutting of hay to feed those critters next winter.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,171,694 times
Quote:
There is a comforter, a few inches thick, that is designed to sleep on. I had one and found the softness too much to sleep on top of. My comforters are filled with real down, and throughout this winter we have had not one but two on top of us. These are such a "comfort."

Old 02-26-2015, 06:41 AM

LOL Zug, you actually went out there with a ruler Unreal that you won't be above freezing until Monday, we won't be either, and we're hell and gone north of you.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There is a comforter, a few inches thick, that is designed to sleep on. I had one and found the softness too much to sleep on top of. My comforters are filled with real down, and throughout this winter we have had not one but two on top of us. These are such a "comfort."
This particular one had ruffles and lace and embroidery on it...very decorative.
I can't imagine how long a comforter would hold up, washing it as frequently as you would sheets.
At lease,, I assume if you sleep directly on one, it needs to be washed often.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
This particular one had ruffles and lace and embroidery on it...very decorative.
I can't imagine how long a comforter would hold up, washing it as frequently as you would sheets.
At lease,, I assume if you sleep directly on one, it needs to be washed often.
A comforter of any kind needs a good quality duvet (cover) that zips up over it. You wash that, not the comforter itself. (Real down feathers can get ruined in washing, and you wouldn't want dry-cleaning chemicals on your bedding.)

Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 AM

I never had problems washing my down comforters, just throw a few tennis balls or clean sneakers in the dryer with them to fluff up the down. JM2c. Works great for down jackets and vests, too.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A comforter of any kind needs a good quality duvet (cover) that zips up over it. You wash that, not the comforter itself. (Real down feathers can get ruined in washing, and you wouldn't want dry-cleaning chemicals on your bedding.)
I buy one that I like the looks of that coordinates with everything else in the bedroom. I don't want to cover it up!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I buy one that I like the looks of that coordinates with everything else in the bedroom. I don't want to cover it up!
Well then don't. I myself would buy a duvet cover that suits the decor, but if you want to keep washing your down comforter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement